Hi!

I'm looking at picking up a nicer electric guitar... I've been playing for over 4 years and have a very nice acoustic-electric that I love, but I want to expand into the electric side of things as well. I have an inexpensive Behringer that I got a long time ago as a "beginner" guitar, but it's time to upgrade.

I did some research, and it seems that the type of guitar i'm leaning towards would be the Epiphone Les Paul, which has the best price range I can find for anything short of a Gibson, and it tends to have an amazing sound out of a Marshall amp (which I need to buy as well).

Anyhow, two Epi's I have found: Black Beauty 3 and LP Custom, both are great, but what's the deal with the third pickup on the BB3? What does it do, how does it affect the sound, and is it better than the custom? Is it worth it?

If you guys could help me out with this I would be grateful. Thanks!
3rd pup just adds versatility to the guitar, which is usually a good thing. if its a Humbucker in the middle, its not very usefull,but a single coil would be nice
I heard the 3rd pickup is supposed to create more of a warmer sound a bit more suited towards classic rock and whatnot, whereas the 2 pickups create more of a rock crunch sound... true?
Quote by MrSixString
I heard the 3rd pickup is supposed to create more of a warmer sound a bit more suited towards classic rock and whatnot, whereas the 2 pickups create more of a rock crunch sound... true?

Huh....
Quote by MrSixString

Not really. Your classic rock crunch will always come from your bridge pickup. Having another one there won't make a difference as on most guitars they are never all on at the same time. Its all preference. Some people like to have a middle pickup to give the a bit more range, though some just get it for looks.
I find it alot harder to pick with those guitars, maybe it's just my lack of skill but I tend to hit the pickup when I strum and whatnot.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
it will decrease sustain because of it's magnetic pull on the strings... or so i hear
Check out PRS SE. And, Marshalls aren't the only amps out there.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Its not necessarily an advantage if its HHH. May hinder picking techniques as stated. The middle pickup on a Strat is very useful. Three humbuckers is useless as far as I'm concerned. I play blues and classic rock.
i never use the middle pickup on my guitar
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12