(This first part is background on how I got the gear I have, you can skip if you don't have time for reading)
A few years back I was a impulsive little kid, with parents who were proud of their sons guitar playing. Through much begging/money of own/Christmas+Birthday, I managed to get together the money for a Gibson SG Special with no clue as to what Genre of music I would play or which Guitars were good. I ended up buying in addition a VoxAD15VT later on (because my old terrible Amp broke). This amp I have ended up hating due to the fact it has way too many effects and amp models, none of which I really love or like dealing with. Now I am ready to make some intelligent purchases, get an idea of what I am looking for (Metal sound, Slayer favorite band, also would like really powerful sound like from Rob Zombie typicals, and classical industrial, plus it would be nice but not necessary some Rainmaker by Iron Maiden and Sweet Child of Mine by Guns and Roses (Synthesizers/Wah I believe)

As of right now my gear status is:
Gibson SG Special Black Link
Vox AD15VT Link
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone Pedal
Link

And my questions are (Feel free to not necessarily answer all, but give some way to know which ones you are answering so I don't get confused even more)
1. Will strings matter a lot for my guitar playing (It has been very muted/dull in tone)
2. What place could I go to/Where could I learn myself to maintenance my guitar (I would prefer to not mess with truss rods, but cleaning and putting on strings I wouldn't mind)
3. Would my current guitar be ok for metal (or would different pickups/guitar altogether) be a better choice. The styles I was looking to emulate were Rob Zombie, Slayer, classical Industrial (KMFDM and Ministry come to mind), power metal (Helloween and Hammerfall), just general stuff. This leads into my main question:
4. What amp do I get? And what pedals?
I have already decided that I do not want a Combo Amp (Unless someone tells me otherwise, my expensive guitar should not be played on a sub-par amp. It said on this site that 85-90% of the sound was not the guitar but the amps and effects.)
So I figured get a head then later on get something else.
Also do not get something insanely confusing like the VoxAD15VT's.
And for this I have no idea what to choose.

Please, let me know.
Last edited by ubernewhacks at Sep 25, 2007,
there are a lot of combo amps that are far superior to stacks. an all- tube combo is a whole heckuva lot better than say, a Marshall MG stack. anyway, your strings shouldn't affect your tone very much, it's probably your amp. I don't have any ideas at the moment for your amp, though one might come to me.
1: strings will make a small difference, more or less in the playability end of things.
3: I wouldn't use the SG for metal, but some use it. I would say get an ESP with EMG 85/81
4: I would say a used 5150 would set you off right. All Tube and high gain, although it might be hard to get Sweet Child of Mine tones from it. you can get it in a combo or as a head, combos go for about $500usd normally. Unless you are playing with a band, you will want the combo. Combo amps are not bad at all, just some of the cheap SS combo amps are bad.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
And my questions are (Feel free to not necessarily answer all, but give some way to know which ones you are answering so I don't get confused even more)
1. Will strings matter a lot for my guitar playing (It has been very muted/dull in tone)
replace them ever 1-3 months
2. What place could I go to/Where could I learn myself to maintenance my guitar
Here (UG)
3. Would my current guitar be ok for metal (or would different pickups/guitar
absolutely, although it can be improved.
4. What amp do I get? And what pedals?
If youve got over 3000 dollars, go for the mesa/boogie rectos, or the 6505's (stacks)
If youve got about 1000 dollars, and arent playing giant gigs, a 6505 combo should do very well for what you want it for
Maybe you want a chorus pedal, too

This is probably what everyone will tell you though...
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Last edited by kool98769 at Sep 25, 2007,
jcm 800 combo. Overdrive pedal. will cop gnr and slayer great. for the rob zombie stuff you need to downtune anyway so it will sound good.
1. yes, the strings rust through time, and rusty strings don't have the high-end chime.
2. you can probably ask a guitar shop guy to teach you, or just read online tutorials.
3. it would probably be okay for ur stuff.
4. a used Peavey 5150.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
to setup, read step 1 then step 2 and so on...

http://projectguitar.com/tut/pro1.htm

if you have questions about setting up then repost.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What sorty of budget do you have for an amp and where do you come from so we dont suggest 2000 pound Mesas if your in england.
Well I was thinking 300-500 retail for the amp...... Haha. Is that way-underpriced for my guitar or what? And that takes into account I would purchase off ebay/craigslist for cheaper.
Strings can make a big difference in your sound, especially if they're old. Keep them new enough that the plain ones feel slick

You can learn everything you need to know about maintenance here on the forums. Run searches though, people here tend to be pretty on edge and flame the hell out of anyone who asks a question they've heard one too many times before.

You don't need a stack. Sure they look manly and are one of the most efficient ways known to man to imply that your *ahem* amp is bigger than everyone else's, but they're so loud that unless you can knock the wattage down (a lot), you won't be able to use it to practice without having your neighbors call the cops. On top of that they're gigantic and you're going to have to transport them to band practices/gigs. Hello van.

Don't worry about combo amps not being loud enough. 50 watts of tube power is deafening.
I always feel like a hypocrite when I suggest buying a combo, but it really is the best way to go. The "ease of transportation" aspect is the major selling point and for good reason: 412's are terrible for any situation involving vehicles and/or stairs. If you must get a head, I firmly suggest looking into a good 212.

Note: In my own defense, my amp isn't available as a combo, otherwise I would have bought the combo.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
^ agreed, john. traynor ycv 50 blue may be worth a look too. kustom coupe too.

strings can make a difference, yeah. you're in good hands with jj1565 for setups.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm a tube snob as much as anyone here, maybe moreso, but for the metal you're looking to play YOU don't necessarily need tubes. There are a couple Randall RG75's on eBay right now that will probably go for less than what you're looking to spend, and will do an excellent job of what you're looking to do.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i was going by the fact that neither maiden nor g n r are that heavy, but you're right, if he plays a lot of more modern metal, solid state may be better.

though for 600 dollars you could get a peavey xxx combo, surely? might be worth considering...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i was going by the fact that neither maiden nor g n r are that heavy, but you're right, if he plays a lot of more modern metal, solid state may be better.

though for 600 dollars you could get a peavey xxx combo, surely? might be worth considering...

Oh, I agree. The XXX is really a love it or hate it amp. But if you love it, it's a great deal.

There's a Peavey Prowler in eBay that looks like it's gonna go cheap. That's an all tube model. Looks pretty cool. A 5150, a couple XXX's....
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Dave_Mc

A used XXX Combo, definitely. The combo lists for $849.

Try looking at a Marshall JCM900 on ebay perhaps? The 1x12(4501) combos go for around 400-500 depending on the condition. Excellent metal amps.
Fender Lite Ash Tele/Hamer SATF<--Korg DT-10<Zvex Super Hard On<Digitech Bad Monkey<MI Audio Crunchbox<Pro Co "Keeley" Rat<Line 6 M13<<--Marshall JTM60 1x12 Combo
Last edited by C40.is.hot at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by slatsmania
Oh, I agree. The XXX is really a love it or hate it amp. But if you love it, it's a great deal.

There's a Peavey Prowler in eBay that looks like it's gonna go cheap. That's an all tube model. Looks pretty cool. A 5150, a couple XXX's....

yep. i preferred the 5150/6505, but i'd take a xxx over a cube. it's got that sterile metal thing going on, but is still more organic than a non-tube, I'd say. Just if you're expecting edge-of-breakup tones because it's tube, you're kinda outta luck...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?