I'm thinking about saving up for a Gibson SG, I know they are in the 1000 range, but I was wondering out of these, which one should I get, I play a variety of rock, like Metallica, Green Day, AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Yellowcard, and alot more, I'm looking at these

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_sg_classic_electric_guitar_with_p90_pickups?full_sku=101393338

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_sg_goddess?full_sku=517379%2e035

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Gibson-SG-Special-Electric-Guitar-with-EMG-Pickups-and-White-Bound-Fingerboard?full_sku=514563%2e035

right now I'm choosing between the first link and the third link, not really into the goddess, but thanks in advance for the help.
none of those. get a standard. the EMG's will sound like crap with the classic stuff you play, and none of the stuff you play calls for P-90's.
I think the third link. EMG's pwn for metallica. another SG you may want to look into is the Tony Iommi Epiphone model. I hear it plays like a dream and has amazing pickups (iommibuckers), just right for the sound you want. plus it has 24 frets and looks ****ing badass so you can't lose. Even though it's an epiphone, everyone I've talked to says it plays better than their Gibson Standard Sg's.
Quote by devilscruffs14
I think the third link. EMG's pwn for metallica. another SG you may want to look into is the Tony Iommi Epiphone model. I hear it plays like a dream and has amazing pickups, just right for the sound you want, plus it has 14 frets and looks ****ing badass so you can't lose. Even though it's an epiphone, everyone I've talked to says it plays better than their Gibson Standard Sg's.

thanks alot, I'll look into it
Quote by devilscruffs14
whoops I meant to say 24 frets, my bad, Im changing it.

don't worry about it, I just want to say thanks, cause I'm gonna save up for that, cause it's only half a thousand, and I read reviews on guitarcenter.com and all the people said everything you just did, so thanks alot, cause I wasn't even thinking of getting an epiphone.
I played the Iommi Epi. It's a decent guitar, but the pickups don't have enough definition for my styles (blues and classic rock.) Try it but also try a Gibson SG Standard. I'm pretty old school so I despise the sound of EMG's. To me they sound sterile.
Get a standard, those EMG's are a no no for you, as is the classic, not quite as versatile.

As far as Epi Iommi VS Standard, the standard is about twice as nice.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by fafinaf
try to play them if you can!

I really can't, cause there are no big guitar places around here, and all the music stores just have blow offs of the actual guitar.

Edit: also the closest guitar center is like 30 min away from my house, and my parents hate driving out that way.
Last edited by eltyr18 at Sep 26, 2007,
Goddess' are for woman... Literally, why do you think it's called that?

Just get a standard instead.
Quote by Td_Nights
Prank calls?

What are you, 10?

Be a man and go take a shit on someone's car.

Quote by Fate_of_Mind
I skimmed through, saw pregnancy test, and "why is there blood". I'm going to assume you just punched her in the ovaries, problem solved.

Xbox Live GT: VRSlashGnR
Quote by iSlash
Goddess' are for woman... Literally, why do you think it's called that?

Just get a standard instead.

Those are great guitars, pretty much a standard with a cool finish and grovers

TS, get the Standard, a Tony Iommi Epi will look cool, but ultimately the construction and wood will be of poor quality, and it won't have neck binding!

You can play a Gibson your whole life, they last forever and are classic, epi's? Not so much.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
What amp do you have?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
If you send me $550, I can get you a Gibson SG Faded which has been naturally relicified.
DIO FOREVER
Quote by ebbbaaa
What amp do you have?

Fender Frontman 25R which I'm happy with it right now, and I just want to save up, cause I'm getting tired of my squire strat, and when I upgrade my guitar, then I'll upgrade my amp, which I'm looking at a Line 6 model right now.

Edit: to be exact I'm looking at the Line 6 Spider III 120 Combo Amp

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Line-6-Spider-III-120-Modeling-Combo-Amplifier?full_sku=103944740

Edit2: I do know that no matter what guitar you need a good amp to get a good sound.
Last edited by eltyr18 at Sep 27, 2007,
Please don't get a great guitar and run it through a Spider. Use the search function on UG re:
Quote by uldhppi
Please don't get a great guitar and run it through a Spider. Use the search function on UG re:

Ok, thanks for the tip I guess, then do you recommend anything?
Crate V32 Palomino would be up your alley, or if you are willing to spend some more (which you should, since the amp is far more important than the guitar...) you might wanna look at a Peavey Classic 30.

You may want to go used for the amp to get a better deal .

Is there a reason that you want an SG other than the fact that you think they are cool looking?

You can get a lot more guitar for the money at that price range, in my opinion .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by eltyr18
Ok, thanks for the tip I guess, then do you recommend anything?

Peavey Classic 30's are excellent. What's your budget?
There ain't no moral to this story at all. Anything I tell you very well could be a lie.
Quote by ebbbaaa
Peavey Classic 30's are excellent. What's your budget?

I'm planning on like getting a job, maybe two, so I can like save up for stuff, so anything can be my budget, right now I have 400-450 saved up, and planning on getting more when I get a job.
If you really don't want to spend a ton of money on an SG, get the Faded SG Special. $579.99. I've played one that my friend owns. I quite liked it.
Quote by dissident52
If you really don't want to spend a ton of money on an SG, get the Faded SG Special. $579.99. I've played one that my friend owns. I quite liked it.

I've heard some bad things about them, but I might go with the Toni Iommi Sig, then when I get alot more money buy the actual one, also, my mom told me that she would put 400 down on it for christmas, problem is it will be my only christmas present.
Get the amp first, then get the SG when you have enough money.