I'm certain that there was a thread about them, but after a few minutes of searching I couldn't find it so I made another.

So, we all know that the Black Lips are quite good, but what does everyone think about Good Bad, Not Evil. I wasn't planning on getting it, but after listening to it a bit I might have to change my mind. It's pretty darn good.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=3188377

There's a couple songs off of it there, and a couple off of Los Valientes del Muendo Nuevo which I also recommend.
I'm really looking to get into them, as I've heard loads of good things.
Do you have a suggestion for a good album? I know virtually nothing about them except that everyone says I would like them.

EDIT: I just listened to a few songs on that page, and now I'm even more intrigued.
DOWN&OUT
I have We Did Not Know..., their self-titled, and Los Valientes del Muendo Nuevo, and of the three I would actually recommend Los Valientes... because they play great for a live album and it has their best songs in my opinion. What I've heard of Let It Bloom sounds really good, and I think I would like it best if I had it, but I've just never picked it up.
They have actually been on m to buy list for awhile, hopefully I'll be picking something up soon.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Man, I got the album a few days ago. Seriously, get it! I love it too bits. I was kinda anxious cos' their last albums have been so good and signing to a major sometimes damages some bands, but to my relief it is a great album. You can definitely see that they have improved song writing wise and the album is their most diverse so far imo.
It's a bit less punk than their early albums but more Velvets and 13th Floor Elevators esque.

I swear they must be one of the most hard working bands around atm, they are like on tour non-stop and have been over to the UK like 3 or 4 times this year. Kudos to them for getting a bit more recognition and respect.
Quote by yeahyeah
They have actually been on m to buy list for awhile, hopefully I'll be picking something up soon.
Same here
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Let it Bloom was the best.

The new ones not that great. I bought it when I saw them.

They're a buncha rockstars now. I tried talking to them cos we have alotta mutual friends and the dude just blew me off. Lame. When they played at my college they were totally disconnected from the audience. It wasn't anything exciting for them anymore. They were also in tune! What the ****? They also got paid 5,000 bucks. I know for a fact that 4 months ago they played at my friends house in Montgomery, Alabama and made 40 bucks. That's really ****ing lame.

Vice magazine ****s up so many cool things. Their first 3 albums are three of the best punk albums of the decade so far, but this most recent one has like 3 good songs, and I really wanted to give it a chance. It's also only on CD. What the ****?
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
^it's on vinyl as well.

I think their new one stands up against their previous 3 albums. It's not as chaotic as their first two but it's still their style, just they growing as songwriters. Yeah, it was inevitable that Vice was gonna clean up the recordings up a bit, but it still has a raw edge and they still can write the good tunes.
I hate it when people moan when bands they like get a bit of recognition, surely it's every bands dream of being able to quit their day job and just focus on their band. Why let the opportunity pass? Sure if the labels start screwing you over then drop it.

Plus him blowing you off probably isn't just the result of getting big, in the smallest of scenes/clubs band members can think they are the dogs bollocks and act like rock stars.

But I guess your sort of reactions are inevitable really, and I'm sure loads of people are saying the same.
I was about to buy Los Valientos del Mundo Nuevo today but I saw Bedroom Disasters from The Reatards and it was cheaper so I got that instead.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by radio_schizo
^it's on vinyl as well.

I think their new one stands up against their previous 3 albums. It's not as chaotic as their first two but it's still their style, just they growing as songwriters. Yeah, it was inevitable that Vice was gonna clean up the recordings up a bit, but it still has a raw edge and they still can write the good tunes.
I hate it when people moan when bands they like get a bit of recognition, surely it's every bands dream of being able to quit their day job and just focus on their band. Why let the opportunity pass? Sure if the labels start screwing you over then drop it.

Plus him blowing you off probably isn't just the result of getting big, in the smallest of scenes/clubs band members can think they are the dogs bollocks and act like rock stars.

But I guess your sort of reactions are inevitable really, and I'm sure loads of people are saying the same.

on their tour they don't have it on vinyl.

I just don't think this albums is as good. O Katrina and Cold Hands are the best songs.

I'm not moaning that they're getting recognition. One of my favorite bands Bent Outta Shape is availible for download on VCast on Verizon. I've never complained about it.

There's a way to not have day jobs and not compromise your values as a band. Lots of people do it all the time. Jack Palance Band did it for a long time and they've never achieved that "rockstar" status that I think is really lame. The Pine Hill Haints are the same way. Jamie makes it his business to never become a rockstar and always be supportive of DIY bands because he knows that's where he comes from and if that means playing a basement over some bar, he'll do it.

To the guy who said that it's ok for bands to sign to major record labels. It isn't. There's nothing cool about it and there's nothing ok with working with those corporations.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by whyvern
on their tour they don't have it on vinyl.

I just don't think this albums is as good. O Katrina and Cold Hands are the best songs.

I'm not moaning that they're getting recognition. One of my favorite bands Bent Outta Shape is availible for download on VCast on Verizon. I've never complained about it.

There's a way to not have day jobs and not compromise your values as a band. Lots of people do it all the time. Jack Palance Band did it for a long time and they've never achieved that "rockstar" status that I think is really lame. The Pine Hill Haints are the same way. Jamie makes it his business to never become a rockstar and always be supportive of DIY bands because he knows that's where he comes from and if that means playing a basement over some bar, he'll do it.

To the guy who said that it's ok for bands to sign to major record labels. It isn't. There's nothing cool about it and there's nothing ok with working with those corporations.

Yeah I definitely think major labels can be be destructive and I hate the way they wh0re out bands and treat them as candy which is why I was a bit nervous about the release of their new record, but at the end of the day it's their choice and I'm not gonna deliberately hate them for that. DIY is the best way forward really, but at the end of the day you only live once if the chance arises surely it's okay to try it. If it ****s you over, then lesson learned.

I personally really like all the songs except Bad Kids, that's a bit too happy. I think they are really good song writers, I think this record has proved that it's not just the fuzz, trash and out of tune guitars that make them so good, but that they can write damn good tunes.

But fair play if you don't like it, I just can't help but feel that peoples views on the music is tainted too much by them being on VICE.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Sep 27, 2007,
^I like Bad Kids just because I'm a sucker for that progression. It's pretty lazy songwriting though, because that progression has been popular since at least the 50's, probably earlier.
I need to get something by them. Ever since this thread I've been listening to them non stop. What's thier best album?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Cool I'll check it out
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Quote by opivy21
^I like Bad Kids just because I'm a sucker for that progression. It's pretty lazy songwriting though, because that progression has been popular since at least the 50's, probably earlier.

I hate that chord progression. The only one I hate more is i - VI - III - VII.

Anyway, I think Black Lips sounds pretty good but, like most music of all ages, lacks originality. They basically seem like the product of their influences.
These songs sound better than Good bad... but that is just after a quick listen. Maybe I'll finally go see em in April.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
Quote by werty22
I hate that chord progression. The only one I hate more is i - VI - III - VII.

Anyway, I think Black Lips sounds pretty good but, like most music of all ages, lacks originality. They basically seem like the product of their influences.

Ha, I can how not everyone would like that progression, especially since it's become so derivative, but I love it in old soul and garage rock.

And I agree with you yeahyeah. From my brief listens, I think the songs sound better, as well as the production.
That chord progression is one of my favorites. I have seriously sat down and played it for like an hour straight just 'cause it sounds so awesome.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I'm seeing these guys tomorrow night. It's going to be insane. I can't waiiiiit.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I'm so jealous. The tunes are gonna be sweet too, since the new record is sounding nice. I still can't get over how cool Trapped in a Basement is.
'Short fuse' & 'Starting Over' are great songs. Not punk, but damn catchy! Who really cares if they are undeniabley retro or signed to VICE, they are a hard working band who have a great talent at songwriting and .

Tbh I've kinda over played their records for now, so I can't wait for a new one. They are a great band. 'Let it Bloom' is my fave.

Speaking of garagey-rock bands, what the hell is Greg Oblivian (Cartwright) doing nowadays? The last Reigning Sound lp is legendary...
I haven't heard much from the new record yet. Hopefully they will play a few of their older tracks along with the new ones, so I can sing along.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Quote by radio_schizo
'Short fuse' & 'Starting Over' are great songs. Not punk, but damn catchy! Who really cares if they are undeniabley retro or signed to VICE, they are a hard working band who have a great talent at songwriting and .

Tbh I've kinda over played their records for now, so I can't wait for a new one. They are a great band. 'Let it Bloom' is my fave.

Speaking of garagey-rock bands, what the hell is Greg Oblivian (Cartwright) doing nowadays? The last Reigning Sound lp is legendary...

I figured that's what he was still doing, but it has been a while since they put anything out, so I'm not sure.
Nice. I don't think Greg Cartwright has ever done anything bad in the field of music.
^Yeah....he is such a consistant song writer. One of the best around at the moment in my opinion. 'Call Me' is so gooood. The guitar lick just makes me smile. Can't wait for the new album. What he does isn't particulary new or groundbreaking, but his focus on good songwriting makes the music sound fresh and new & shines through the countless crap bands I hear nowadays. Such a great voice as well.
Exactly. He just writes good songs. And speaking of good songs, do you have any knowledge of the song in the second youtube video from the top on the RS myspace? The caption to the video says "Untitled", but it's really cool.
^not sure, I think it must be for the new album...maybe. Great lyrics in that one.

Can't stop listening to the new tunes!
Sorry for the bump, but I figured this thread is still relavant and I didn't want to make a new one. But I have fallen in love with this band, Good Bad Not Evil is probably my favorite album. It is so consistently great.