Is there much of a size difference between a 3/4 size bass, 1/2 size bass, and just an ordinary one? And is there much of a tone difference? One more question, can you get a tone like an upright w/ a fretless bass?
1/2 to 3/4 is about a 4-8 inch height from the scrolls.
I play a half size in orc.hestra and the other bassist in my class plays a 3/4
There's not a tone difference much. Cause the make the body bigger so when the goes through the F holes it makes it deeper. Barely noticeable.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
To add to that, no a fretless bass does not achieve the sound of a double bass.

The Ric 4003 FL comes damn close, but even it doesn't quite achieve the sound of a true double bass.
I've tried to get the upright tone with an electric and it just can't happen. I even have a piece of **** 34" scale EUB and it just sounds like an electric, even though it has piezo pickups.

Playing an NS Designs upright (and amazingly being able to play 1-finger-per-note ), I've come to the realization that string length has a HUGE impact on the bass's sound. If you had a 42" scale fretless, you could perhaps get an upright tone, but not with anything less.

However, 1/4 scale uprights have a 36" scale, which is almost electric.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
^Actually even fulle length UEBs sound electronic. We have one at school and even it can't get the tone of one. They also weigh a tonne.

Yeah, the WAV4 sounds quite electric, but it like an upright bass the same way an electric guitar sounds like an acoustic guitar. There are huge differences, but you can't really deny it's roots. However, electric basses are totally different beasts (and should be considered so) and as far as I'm concerned have little or no tonal similarities to an upright. If it had 42" long strings, it probably could.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
and if you are considering getting an upright, you probably shouldn't get a full size, the 3/4 is really the musical standard and by far the most common size of bass used.
I play a 3/4 and i have never heard anything come close to the uprights. So to anwser your question no, a fretless will come nowhere close to it. I'm on a freaking iphone right now and it is so freaking sweet.