Great band. I only have Through the Darkness, but when I have the money, I'll be trying to get their other stuff.
I always wanted to get into them but never did. Every now and then I go and listen to them again, but still don't feel the need to buy anything. I feel so deprived!
DOWN&OUT
Quote by Jett Diamond
I always wanted to get into them but never did. Every now and then I go and listen to them again, but still don't feel the need to buy anything. I feel so deprived!

Same here. I never thought they were too special.
One of the first times I posted on UG, it was about D Generation and I still consider them to be 'The Last Punk Band That Mattered.'

'No Lunch' is great and their cover of Reagan Youth's "Degnerated" blows the original away, IMHO (although to be fair, when I saw Reagan Youth, Dave Insurgent was pretty strung out).

What sets them apart is that they are NOT a formulaic band and they play it like they mean it (at least on No Lunch, they do, thanks to Richard Bacchus's writing).

In addition to "Degenerated", listen to "Not Dreaming", "No Way Out", "Capital Offender", "Waiting For The Next Big Parade" and you should hear what I mean.
I love the way that Jesse can go fom singing in almost in a whisper to screaming his lungs out, but doesn't sound shrill (like HR or some singer from a metal band sounds).

Just go here, scroll down and check out "Scorch" and "Frankie".
http://www.nytrash.com/dgeneration.html

After that, put on some boring formulaic sh*te like Lars and the Bastards or the Casualties, and discover the meaning of "phoning it in."

Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Nemo, what do you think of Through the Darkness as an album? Is that what you refer to as formulaic?
You hit the nail on the head with that one, ss311.

Bands like D Generation were never meant to do 16 minute Neil Young covers ("Don't Be Denied"), so that was my first clue that they had fallen by the wayside.

I thought the songs "Helpless", "Hatred" "Cornered" were okay, but songs like "Every Mother's Son", "Only A Ghost", "Lonely", "Good Ship Down", "Sick on the Radio" & "Sunday Secret Saints" were pretty formulaic and lame.

They tried something different with "Chinatown", but like the rest of the album, something was missing; e.g. the intensity they had with Richard Bacchus.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

wow, i'm listening to the album "No Lunch" now and i must say, it's one of the best things i've heard in a long time. what type of punk is this considered? i'd like to hear more bands like this.
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
D Generation is "Glitter punk" or "glam punk", like Jayne County or early Hanoi Rocks stuff.

What sets them apart, IMHO, is that they were friends with Reagan Youth, so they've got that angsty, yet somewhat melodic sound that RY had early on.

For something with a similar mix of angst and punk (not quite as angsty) from the other side of the pond, check out Manic Street Preachers songs Motown Junk, Nat West Barclays Midlands Lloyds, Crucifix Kiss, You Love Us, Sorrow 16, Democracy Coma, and their finest moment Stay Beautiful.

You really want the version of Stay Beautiful from the Stay Beautiful EP, as the one off of Generation Terrorists was mixed to sound a bit more "metal"(because in 1991, punk hadn't been re-discovered yet).

Quote by sargasm

Glam punk is where it's at!
Like Nemo said, Hanoi Rocks is good. My favorite by them is Self Destruction Blues, followed closely by their first album, Bangkok Shocks, Saigon Shakes, Hanoi Rocks. Check out the Joneses too. Classic glam punk acts would be New York Dolls, along with Raw Power era Stooges, and the Hollywood Brats (the Boys before the Boys).
t
Also, lots of good modern bands doing it. Red Invasion are one of my favorites, and they're big D-Generation fans. The Soda Pop Kids and the Heart Attacks are great. Prima Donna are a bit generic, but okay. The River City Rebels "Hate to be Loved" album is into the bit glitter punk, and easily the best thing they released.
DOWN&OUT
Gotta say nemo, I love Through the Darkness, even though I notice what you complain about. Before now I hadn't heard the older stuff and I can see what you mean about intensity.
The music is awesome but I'm not really into the vocals
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
It grows on ya.
If D Gen's vocs are too "gutteral", check out the Manic Street Preachers stuff.
It's more melodic and you'll prolly dig it.

In addition to the bands Jett Diamond mentioned, check out these bands, if you haven't already.

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers
Wayne/Jayne County
Adam And The Ants - ("9 to 5" and "Beat My Guest" are about all they should have done)
Alternative TV - ("Action Time Vision")
Avengers - ("Thin White Line")
Pink Fairies - ("Reading Between The Lines")
Rings - "(I Wanna Be Free")
Crime
Eddie and The Hot Rods - ("Teenage Depression", "Get Out Of Denver" and "Quit This Town")
Flamin' Groovies - ("Tallahassee Lassie")
Hanoi Rocks - ("Problem Child")
Hollywood Brats - (became the Boys, but their versions of "Tumble With Me" and "Sick On You" are better than the Boys version)
The Boys - ("Brickfield Nights")
Zeros
Idols - (ex-members of the NY Dolls, songs"You" and "Girl That I Love")
Black Market Baby - ("Backseat Sally")
London Cowboys - (only the first album, I'm afraid)
Destroy All Monsters - (Stooges with a female singer)
Berlin Brats
The Brats
Cherry Vanilla
Rubber City Rebels
Urban Dogs - ("Cocaine" and "Limo Life")
Onion Dolls
Count Vertigo - ("X- Patriots")
Modern Lovers - ("Roadrunner", "Modern World" and "She Cracked")
Baby Grand -( I posted a link to get it free awhile ago, search for it)
Lime Spiders - (early stuff like "Slave Girl", "Beyond The Fringe" & "Save My Soul")
The Saints
The Fun Things
New Race
X - (Australian one had the name first)
Quote by sargasm

Thanks, I'm actually about to order something from the modern lovers.(probably The Original Modern Lovers)
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I've heard of them, but I haven't listened to them until now. Thier great, I can see myself getting really into this band.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by johnnynemo
It grows on ya.
If D Gen's vocs are too "gutteral", check out the Manic Street Preachers stuff.
It's more melodic and you'll prolly dig it.

In addition to the bands Jett Diamond mentioned, check out these bands, if you haven't already.

Johnny Thunders & the Heartbreakers
Wayne/Jayne County
Adam And The Ants - ("9 to 5" and "Beat My Guest" are about all they should have done)
Alternative TV - ("Action Time Vision")
Avengers - ("Thin White Line")
Pink Fairies - ("Reading Between The Lines")
Rings - "(I Wanna Be Free")
Crime
Eddie and The Hot Rods - ("Teenage Depression", "Get Out Of Denver" and "Quit This Town")
Flamin' Groovies - ("Tallahassee Lassie")
Hanoi Rocks - ("Problem Child")
Hollywood Brats - (became the Boys, but their versions of "Tumble With Me" and "Sick On You" are better than the Boys version)
The Boys - ("Brickfield Nights")
Zeros
Idols - (ex-members of the NY Dolls, songs"You" and "Girl That I Love")
Black Market Baby - ("Backseat Sally")
London Cowboys - (only the first album, I'm afraid)
Destroy All Monsters - (Stooges with a female singer)
Berlin Brats
The Brats
Cherry Vanilla
Rubber City Rebels
Urban Dogs - ("Cocaine" and "Limo Life")
Onion Dolls
Count Vertigo - ("X- Patriots")
Modern Lovers - ("Roadrunner", "Modern World" and "She Cracked")
Baby Grand -( I posted a link to get it free awhile ago, search for it)
Lime Spiders - (early stuff like "Slave Girl", "Beyond The Fringe" & "Save My Soul")
The Saints
The Fun Things
New Race
X - (Australian one had the name first)

Nemo, my problem is that while I love what I've heard of these bands, I can never find their CDs to buy. Downloading isn't my thing...
Sorry for the double post, but when I try to edit I freeze up.

I love the Manic Street Preachers up until The Holy Bible which, happens to be my favourite album. I also enjoy Everything Must Go, but it was the start of decline.
Quote by ss311
Nemo, my problem is that while I love what I've heard of these bands, I can never find their CDs to buy. Downloading isn't my thing...

You could always download them and then send them money for it
FUCK YOU! GET PUMPED!