Alright so I'm a big big fan of Pink Floyd, but I want something to sound like Floyd, but heavier. I bought Coheed and Cambria's last CD, Good Apollo, because I really liked "Welcome Home." Although I love C&C, other than Welcome Home and The Final Cut, their songs aren't really big epic metal songs, but more complex alternative punk songs.
I want a band that plays more songs like Welcome Home and The Final Cut. Something that sounds like Pink Floyd but more heavy metal. Preferably a newer band. Anybody know any?
okay, saying newer progressive metal is definetly asking for something you don't want. if you want newer progressive metal then check out It Prevails or Misery Signals. but you don't want progressive metal, you want progressive ROCK. i'd check out franz ferdinand and andy mckee if you like prog acoustic.
Gear:
ESP Eclipse 300
Jackson RR3
Bugera 6262 head
Trace Elliot straight cab
Boss NS-2
Boss DD-3
i dont think the final cut is very metal at all
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
if your like me at all, you hear genres of music in your head that doesnt really exsist (for me, real epic "classical" rock)

and if you cant find it yourself

make it
Quote by MustangMan311
If you can handle the vocals, check out Between the Buried and Me. Huge Pink Floyd influence on their newest album, and incredible musicians.

between the buried and me for the win
Running away from this earth.
May it pass away in the beautiful flames that it was created for.
Because when tomorrow fails to come,
today is just not the same.
Inflamed earth.
Roses.
In this hope.
For all i care set it all ablaze.

Their is a Prog forum, don't disclude because it's next to shred and 80s.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
You'd be better off asking about this in the Modern Rock forum.

Asking about it in the Prog forum will get shred guitar fans flaming the hell out of you, and asking it here will give YourLastAffront a mild stroke.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Caustic
You'd be better off asking about this in the Modern Rock forum.

Asking about it in the Prog forum will get shred guitar fans flaming the hell out of you, and asking it here will give YourLastAffront a mild stroke.

True... UG is the leading cause of death among music elitists !

Too stay a little on topic, I only have a little piece of advice. Don't try to sound like anyone, play whatever comes naturally to you.
i have no idea what you guys are talking about.

Quote by YourLastAffront
fact is I've forgotten more about music than you'll ever
know.
ask either in 80's shred and Progressive forum, or the Metal Forum (recommendation thread). While we're here, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater

“Who are you then?.."
"- I am part of that power which eternally wills evil and eternally works good.”
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
I think you should check out Pavement, they sorta have that sound.
Quote by Guns N' r0ses
I think its 18 in california but I'm just wonderin cuz if i get caught then I can be like "well legally im allowed to watch it" and they'll be like "k koo"
Quote by bah humbug
I think you should check out Pavement, they sorta have that sound.

Definitely...
Quote by Emenius Sleepus
ask either in 80's shred and Progressive forum, or the Metal Forum (recommendation thread). While we're here, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater

Amazed it got that far without either of those two being mentioned. Two absolute staples of the music.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Anathema
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by bite_the_bullet
you want progressive ROCK. i'd check out franz ferdinand and andy mckee if you like prog acoustic.

Are you high? Franz Ferdinand Prog Rock? waaayyyy off, modern prog rock are bands like The Mars Volta, Coheed and Cambria, The Fall of Troy etc.

Progressive Metal, without a doubt check out Between the Buried and Me's New cd "Colors" it's incredible, also check out obvious stuff like Dream Theater, Pagans Mind, Rush etc.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Haha, yeah he does sound rather snobbish. I don't mind it though.

EDIT: I agree, though. Franz Ferdinand aren't the slightest progressive. More like post-punk revival.
Last edited by European Son at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
The Mars Volta, maybe some Tool? radiohead might be good too

I've never understood why people categorized radiohead as progressive, experimental at times yeah but I can't imagine justifying progressive for them.
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Dredg - Not heavy though so don't expect anything metal. El Cielo is a concept album on a famous painting i cant remember the name of Unfortunatly I dont own that but I've heard its great. I have Catch Without arms though and I love it.

Muse - Origin of Symmetry, alot of fallseto mixed with heavy bass lines and classical influences with epics such as "Space Dementia" and "Citizen Erased".

- Absolution, this was influenced by "In The Court of The Crimson King" and "The Wall" and also a mix of influences. Its a concept on the Apocolypse.

These bands aren't your traditional King Crimson/Pink Floyd/Yes prog but they're like a fresh take on it.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Last edited by myself101 at Sep 26, 2007,