I was practicing some scroll saw work today when i saw a stack of cigar box's my mom got (She decorates them as gifts). With my creative mind in gear, i figured why not make a cigar box guitar. So I'm researching a bit, getting sound clips and the like, I decided i'll be putting 4 strings on it, and tuning it as a mandolin. (I've been looking to buy a mando for a while now, but I'm short on cash...in other words, broke...) So I get out my notebook and start jotting down numbers, figuring out the scale length. For about an hour I was trying to get it in scale with my acoustic just smaller. I ended up getting the right numbers and everything, it came to something like 11.7" But upon entering that into a fret calculator, i found that the frets would be pretty small...way small.

And thats the real time i decided I'd go for the mando, and just use a regular scale length. Did some more research. And found about 13.5" to be good.

I'm going to do a scarf joint (I think thats what its called) for the headstock, and putting some fins on it. and Just 14 frets, I dont think I'll be using any more than that anyway.

Okay now for a question. Can I just glue the neck under the lid, or should I do some kind of screw setup.

I'll have picture documenting the hole thing, first set will be up sometime soon.
Should build a cigar box ukulele instead That's what I'm doing. From what I've seen you can just glue the neck in and then glue the lid down.
The Arsenal:

88/89 Fender HM Strat
Epiphone Valve Jr

Lag Winter series acoustic

Hohner Marine Band harmonica
Quote by YSM404
I was practicing some scroll saw work today when i saw a stack of cigar box's my mom got (She decorates them as gifts). With my creative mind in gear, i figured why not make a cigar box guitar. So I'm researching a bit, getting sound clips and the like, I decided i'll be putting 4 strings on it, and tuning it as a mandolin. (I've been looking to buy a mando for a while now, but I'm short on cash...in other words, broke...) So I get out my notebook and start jotting down numbers, figuring out the scale length. For about an hour I was trying to get it in scale with my acoustic just smaller. I ended up getting the right numbers and everything, it came to something like 11.7" But upon entering that into a fret calculator, i found that the frets would be pretty small...way small.

And thats the real time i decided I'd go for the mando, and just use a regular scale length. Did some more research. And found about 13.5" to be good.

I'm going to do a scarf joint (I think thats what its called) for the headstock, and putting some fins on it. and Just 14 frets, I dont think I'll be using any more than that anyway.

Okay now for a question. Can I just glue the neck under the lid, or should I do some kind of screw setup.

I'll have picture documenting the hole thing, first set will be up sometime soon.

Mandolins have 8 strings.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Normal Mandolins have 4 doubled strings, not 8 individual strings. kinda like a 12 string gutar.

Cool idea. i think u can glue it down, but i would try to put at least 1 screw in it for some more strength.
I think you should do either a Dovetail joint, cos they're surprisingly stable.
Consider the fact taht although a mando has 8 strings, it also has a much shorter scale length, so the tension isn't as high as, say, an 8-string guitar would have if it were tuned the same way.

I've also seen a mandolin plan with a 4-bolt neck (a la Fender). Only it was from the 1930's. Way before Fender was even established.
Most electric mandolin have 4 stings, like the first Epiphone Mandobird (I own the 2nd one) and Fender Mandocaster. My Mandobird has a 4-bolt neck
The Arsenal:

88/89 Fender HM Strat
Epiphone Valve Jr

Lag Winter series acoustic

Hohner Marine Band harmonica
glue it in!
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
yea, trapperkeeper I've seen that. Part of my initial research.

I got the neck onto the body, no glue yet. I'm considering not even using glue, its really tight fit. I cut grooves into the bottom of the neck so its sunken into the body a bit, as to let the lid close all the way.

I'm about to go back downstairs and angle the headstock. I wont be glueing anything yet, I think I'll get the frets in first.