I've got a nice tube amp now, and the distortion you can get from the tubes alone is fabulous, but at home, I live in an apartment, and 30 tube watts is LOUD, so I can't crank it. Hell, Usually I keep the volume at 2, and tone it down on the guitar if its still too loud :P, but I can use the volume for gigs so meh.

anyway, I've got a decent amount to spend, + I might be getting a fair share more soon (I have someone is interested in buying my spider and SG for a fair sum of $450, but that isn't money in the bank just yet)

from the money I saved on my amp, that I have in cash right now, I have about $130.

for distortion I want to get a hard rock and a lighter metal tone. Overdrive wise, my amp is great, but at extremely low volumes, achieving good od is pretty tough.

I want a higher gain pedal that will sound good with my peavy classic 30 (shouldn't be too hard to find) I can afford the jekyll and hyde, but I'd seriously like to save some money so lets just pretend I can't right now.

...that or I can wait a bit longer and save like $200 for a multi-effects pedal... or if I make that sale, I can get one HELL of a pedal setup for $580.

but as for my meager $100 (USD btw), what would you guys reccomend.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 26, 2007,
I've heard great things about the Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive, it's reasonably cheap I think, they go for 90 or so on ebay.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
^ +1, however they are like $200 new, aren't they? But they have a TS-clone overdrive and a good distortion (from what I hear)
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Yeah apparently they are fantastic pedals, I'm looking to buy one but i'm yet to find any down here.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
yeah I can get one, but I really want to save some cash. They are like $140 new on musicians friend BTW.

besides, for a little more than that price, I can get an AXL (<small company) tube overdrive, solid state distortion, chorus and echo pedal at my local shop. It is real tube overdrive, and sounds pretty nice.

how is the boss OS-2? The Bad Monkey? what about other pedals? My amps sounds good alone, and I'm sure a decent stompbox would more than suit my needs.

I want to be able to get heavy enough for some guns n' roses.

I would like to save some cash so I could still get a crybaby -- the deal fell through -- I almost sold the SG, but the guy was a lefty.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Last edited by spiroth10 at Sep 26, 2007,
I'd recommend the Boss Blues Driver to anyone. It's transparent and responds to the nuances of your picking (as they say in the ad), but its true. It's a really responsive pedal. You can get plenty of thick distortion or you can back the guitars volume off and get medium or light crunch. It also works as a volume boost on light settings. It's extremely versatile and great value for money. i realise I sound like a salesman, but I've been using the BD2 for 12 years now and its still going strong.
If the J&H is a tone you want, then save for it, its only an extra $40 to buy new, probably less than your budget second hand.
Quote by deadlydunc
check out zvex pedals too. they rule.

Yea, they do, but he's spending $130, not $310.

I always reccomend that people try an EXH Metal Muff, because it's so bleeding versatile, and stays tonefull with a tube amp. If that seems over the top to you, you can cop out for a Bad Monkey, which are wondefully affordable, and a great value.
Danelectro Daddy-O distortion is reasonably priced. Distortion is variable, from tube to massive. Good harmonics and bottom punch. Metal case and noiseless switch. Try it before you rule it out because of brand. It'll surprise you.