Page 1 of 2
What are your theories on what happens when you die? I don't really have one... But I always wished that when you die, you could go back to any time and be kind of... reincarnated. Or just be in a lucid dream for the rest of eternity... But, of course, not using your own mind.

I doubt that's possible though. I've never really believed in any religion, and it seems like the only way those 2 would be possible.

I remember my friend and I were having a conversation about this... He thought that you simply "turned off" like a robot or something. No thoughts, feelings, just blackness... Kind of scary.

Anyway, what are your theories on what happens when you die?
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 25, 2007,
The music keeps playing.....
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
I'm hanging with Jesus.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
i always thought it was like endless sleep
Quote by gatechballer
SoLgEr is the ****ing man!!!!!
you know... no one has a god damn clue...just hopes...i kinda have that hope in christianity where everyone's at this big assed party/reunion type thing until the end of eternity but obviously...ehh...maybe not, maybe. maybe we get a type of reincarnation. that'd be cool...maybe. or maybe everyone just relives there lives endlessly in a kind of begining of time -> your life-> end of world-> repeat and you don't remember it. for all we know, this could be the 10304782838923048183482340th time i'm writing this statement, and i just might do it again.

holy crap how many times did i say maybe?...
Member #14 of the "Claudio Sanchez is god" Club.

My Gear:
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Epiphone G-400
Fender Precision Bass
Ibanez Exotic Wood Acoustic
Crate BX-15
Crate Palomino V16
Proco Rat 2
Dunlop 353q Crybaby
Your body rots

But seriously, if you believe that we have souls than you believe that we go somewhere. Nothing can be destroyed, just broken down and changed.
Quote by garden of grey
You stop existing.
No you don't, you will always exist during the time in which you were alive in.
Quote by bobby_splax
i kinda have that hope in christianity where everyone's at this big assed party/reunion type thing until the end of eternity but obviously
Dont count on it. That's just a myth recycled from the viking pagan beliefe, valhalla. They only said that to make the people who were just about to die in battle be happy about dieing in battle.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
Last edited by demonofthenight at Sep 25, 2007,
Hey, garden of grey, you like Agalloch? I just saw your user title...

Anyway, why are we talking about energy? Is it something to do with decomposing?

"Of course, it's a stretch to think that the weight of a soul would register on a scale built for the likes of livestock or bolts of cloth. But what if you were to get your hands on a scale calibrated not in ounces or grams, but in picograms - trillionths of a gram? If you consider consciousness to be information energy, as some do, then it would have a (very, very, very, teeny tiny) mass. And if you were to build a closed system, such that no known sources of energy could leave or enter undetected, and you rigged it up to your picogram scale, and put a dying organism inside this system, then you could, in theory, do the MacDougall. In the course of researching a book about these various efforts to prove that there is (or isn't) an afterlife, I met a Duke University professor, Gerry Nahum, who would very much like to undertake a consciousness-weighing project of his own (offing not sheep nor men but leeches). Though he taught gynaecology and obstetrics, Nahum has a background in thermodynamics and information theory and has even worked out a 25-page proposal of exactly how to do it, if only someone will fund him the $100,000 he estimates it will cost.

If consciousness is energy, then I suppose you don't need proof that it survives death, because proof already exists: the First Law of Thermodynamics - energy is neither created or destroyed. Though it's hard to take much comfort from this. Who wants to spend eternity as a blip, a gnat's fart, of disordered energy, with no brain at your disposal to help you remember or imagine or solve the Sunday crossword? What would it be like? Would there even be a be? Nahum uses the analogy of the computer: perhaps you'd be the operating system, stripped of its programs and interfaces. Heaven as the back of the closet where the broken-down Dells and Compaqs go."

I got that from here:

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/being-human/mg19225780.075-the-big-questions-what-happens-after-you-die.html
Last edited by RedDeath9 at Sep 25, 2007,
i dunno man
its sorta connecting laws of scince to death,
its not related
but you can make an assumption
I always thought it was just nothing for the rest of eternity... It's a scary thought, isn't it? Of course, reincarnation is possible...

...*head asplode*
I hate it when people develop their own "theories" for things they know absolutely nothing about. If you haven't spent a great deal of your life at least researching and studying something, don't be so egotistical as to think you can actually reach a valid conclusion regarding a topic that others have dedicated their entire lives to understanding.
Quote by yawn
I hate it when people develop their own "theories" for things they know absolutely nothing about. If you haven't spent a great deal of your life at least researching and studying something, don't be so egotistical as to think you can actually reach a valid conclusion regarding a topic that others have dedicated their entire lives to understanding.

Well, I didn't actually mean theories, as in it has been proved, it was just the first word that came to my mind. "Your on what happens when you die" would have been a better title, I guess.
I kind of believe in reincarnation. I think if that is so, we will live life all the way through the chain, starting from when our dead body turns to soil.
I kind of agree with your friend, I think you do sort of just "turn off". You stop existing, stop being, but i think you start over again, i think we are reincarnated. It would be like how if someone stopped time for 100 years and turned it back on again, no one would know that time ever stopped, because they would stop with it. I think when you die, time stops for you, until someone or something turns it back on. You would never know you didnt exist, just like you wouldnt know if someone stopped time for 100 years while you were living. Then you will eventually start over, not knowing you ever ended and ceased existing,and remember nothing from your previous life. Either that or you dont come back, which would be like if someone stopped time, but never turned it back on again, which i dont think is scary because you wouldn't know you were stopped.
Quit my job blowin leaves
Telephone bills up my sleeves

And they were singin like this!
What happens when you die is very simple and bleak; your body stops functioning and thats it.

It sucks but it's seems to be the most reasonable explanation.

(Reincarnation would be awesome though.)
nnothing. you don't exist anymore. its basically like you were never there, because there's nothing conscious or thinking & there's no memories; nothing.
Quote by Lord_Of_Dance.

I never understood why a girl would take a boner as a bad thing "Oh no, your attracted to me, you sick wanker." :\ x

Quote by Nelsean
Im saying this the straightest way possible, but...

I'd have sexual intercourse with your anus.
but if there were some reincarnation... would whe remember this life then?
i can certainly not remember any other lives
You like it
Quote by linus.d
but if there were some reincarnation... would whe remember this life then?
i can certainly not remember any other lives

what talking some bull**** on internet forums for years?. imagine some kid in the future who can trace his reincarnation...'cool i was some noob who spent all day one this thing called 'a computer' bitching about other noobs...so glad im a intergalactic cyborg'
Quote by cashewchaching
I'm hanging with Jesus.

+999999
Quote by mista cricket
Passive pickups? Are there such a thing as aggressive pickup s?

I use a Dvorak keyboard; put this in your sig if you do too.
Last edited by zeroprezens at Sep 26, 2007,
i think we go to another planet/situation. i think life is kind of one big dream in a series of dreams, and when u die u wake up from this particular one. then god/whoever u believe in sends u to another one as a form of something u had in common with yourself in your previous dream. so kind of like reincarnation with a twist.
I don't know and I don't want to bother myself with this kind of thought.

Although I have thought about this hundreds of times and here are my theories..

Logically speaking : We are a bio-organism, yes, we have intelligence (, pause) but we are no different than dogs or other organisms. When we die, we stop existing, it's like when you have a dreamless sleep or when you have surgery etc..

Although the thought of this kind of death is terrifying, also if you think about it, the thought of spending eternity in heaven or in hell is also terrifying if you think about it. billions and billions and billions of years spent in heaven or hell if they exist would be weird but then again it's not something you understand..

The best way would be when you die, your spirit could float around and play with the world a little bit.. Yes a ghost... Until your spirit goes to another body and you start a new life being totally oblivious to your previous life.. Reincarnation makes more sence than anything I've heard about death and it makes it easier on your head when you think about death sometimes..
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
im going to heaven.
Help Out A Dentist; Play Rugby

I have now met 1/5 of the original GNR lineup.
so far: Steven Adler
to go: Axl, Slash, Izzy, Duff.

Quote by ReeseKillsHIV

You sir, are a nice person.
What if you die and go to heaven, but heaven is a Wendy's? Then you ask someone like "wtf dude, why is heaven a Wendy's"? and he's like "Hey man, have you tried the frosties?"
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Wow this thread really makes me feel sorry for atheists.

I'm not trying to preach here, but honestly, if I didn't have hope of something after (heaven, through Jesus) I'd probably just despair of life and kill myself. I mean, the very idea that your whole life was essentially meaningless? That's pretty freaking disturbing.
When I die, I'll be dead. Nothing. My opinion of what happens when we die is that we rot in the ground. Its awful to think of, but thats it. You're done.

Thats just me though, if believing in Christianity or any other religion/cult whatever gets you to sleep at night, I think you should go with whatever you have the strongest belief in.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Quote by WNxScythe
Wow this thread really makes me feel sorry for atheists.

I'm not trying to preach here, but honestly, if I didn't have hope of something after (heaven, through Jesus) I'd probably just despair of life and kill myself. I mean, the very idea that your whole life was essentially meaningless? That's pretty freaking disturbing.

I doubt you could kill yourself. Going against billions of years of evolution is pretty tough. Sounds like you just believe whatever your parents have taught you from birth.

I could swear I posted in this exact thread like 5 minutes ago. But this one has less pages...
Quote by Kulvin
I doubt you could kill yourself. Going against billions of years of evolution is pretty tough. Sounds like you just believe whatever your parents have taught you from birth.

I could swear I posted in this exact thread like 5 minutes ago. But this one has less pages...

Aw man I love this argument. What the heck makes you think that I believe whatever my parents have taught me?

As it turns out, yes my parents do believe many of the same things I do when it comes to my faith (not all though). But I hardly agree with them on everything.

Regardless, just cause I'm not rebelling against everything my parents have ever taught me (and no they're not bible belt ultra-conservative republicans), does this make my beliefs any less credible than the stuff you guys are posting?

And no I probably couldn't actually kill myself, I was exaggerating, but the point is, I'd CERTAINLY despair of life. Ever read last thoughts from famous intellectuals, artists, etc... as they're dying? It's always pretty bleak.
Quote by WNxScythe
Aw man I love this argument. What the heck makes you think that I believe whatever my parents have taught me?

As it turns out, yes my parents do believe many of the same things I do when it comes to my faith (not all though). But I hardly agree with them on everything.

Regardless, just cause I'm not rebelling against everything my parents have ever taught me (and no they're not bible belt ultra-conservative republicans), does this make my beliefs any less credible than the stuff you guys are posting?

And no I probably couldn't actually kill myself, I was exaggerating, but the point is, I'd CERTAINLY despair of life. Ever read last thoughts from famous intellectuals, artists, etc... as they're dying? It's always pretty bleak.

REALLY!?

You don't need to rebel, but taking a step back and looking at several other viewpoints from a 100% unbiased stand would be necessary. If you have not done that (which I highly doubt you have, because I've never met a religious person who has) then your beliefs would be more credible.

Why aren't any of these famous intellectuals religious?
Quote by Kulvin
REALLY!?

You don't need to rebel, but taking a step back and looking at several other viewpoints from a 100% unbiased stand would be necessary. If you have not done that (which I highly doubt you have, because I've never met a religious person who has) then your beliefs would be more credible.

Why aren't any of these famous intellectuals religious?

Let people believe what they want to. If you dont have a hope for living i feel sorry for you. As for myself i know there is some type of life after death. It gives me hope, meaning, and a strive to be a better person and make a difference in this world.
Gear:

Guitar
Recording king RD 22
Ibanez Jet King JTK2
Dean bass guitar

Amp
Peavey ValveKing 212
Bass Acoustic b100
Nothing. We aren't that important for anyone as we have made ourselves out to be. We die and it's nothing but a good sleep you won't wake up from.
Quote by Grundy0
You become one with the energy of the universe.

That's a bitchin' idea.

My vote: You decompose.

Reincarnation is interesting. I think the Buddhists and Jainists are on to something.
Quote by raise_the_dead
I wouldnt be surprised if the first thing Varg did was sign up for WoW so he could kick some Judeo-Christian ass.

Final Fantasy

Cid Highwind of the Final Fantasy Elite - PM me, Ichikurosaki, Gallagher2006, or Deliriumbassist to join!
Quote by Phantom-x
Let people believe what they want to. If you dont have a hope for living i feel sorry for you. As for myself i know there is some type of life after death. It gives me hope, meaning, and a strive to be a better person and make a difference in this world.

I guess it's good for those who need it. I do not feel the need to feed myself lies until I believe them so I can feel like I have a more purposeful life.
If you have a kid you become them

If you think about it i think it makes sense, we don't kno what all the chromsones are so one could be you. So ya sperm swims across makes kiddie you and who ever ya made kiddie with merge into one, Just you don't remember. Meh or you could just die and thats it...
Page 1 of 2