Poll: Read scenario first: Would you sell out?
Poll Options
View poll results: Read scenario first: Would you sell out?
Yes
126 36%
No
224 64%
Voters: 350.
Page 1 of 4
O.K. hypothetical scenario. Your in a band you play (insert genre) music and your band is extremely talented. You are a local favorite in your town, however thanks to the musical climate of today and the style of music you play there is absoluteley NO chance you will get a major record deal. You live paycheck to paycheck and never have much extra cash. Then a big record executive is watching bands perform looking for bands to capitalize on this “Emo” trend. He sees your band perform. He sees your band has potential and stares at your band with dollar bills in his eyes. He confronts you after the show. I want to give you band a contract to my label, and you will make a ton of money, on one condition. Buy you some girlpants, put your hair over one eye, dye it black, and play emo music. Also, you know that if you didn't accept this offer you only have a 20% of landing the s hittiest of sh itty underground record labels. So my question is. Would you betray your (very small amount of) fans and your own values of music for a ton of money. Or, would you want to continue sloshing away through the underground curcuit, but still get to play the music you want?
I am not reading all of that but if I was facing financial problems then yes. At some point I would know that I surpassed the top of my career and it's time to sell out and make MONEY!
Quote by H^2

Wise words Trashfan.

trashfan
Quote by Chubbychunks
It's not going to be that great. Although particle physics does give me a hadron.
I don't have principles by which I could even sell out in the first place.
No way in hell.

Artistic integrity > commercial success every time.

I even wrote a song on it

/self-promotion
Quote by Douche ©
I may not be cool off the internet, but on the internet I am pretty cool.

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

If not all of us, at least him.

<//////>~
Underground curcuit ftw.

Seriously, like it said in your post, its the current musical flavour of the month. It will pass. The next trend might just be the kind of music my hypothetical band would be playing.
if i was living pay check to pay check and not in debt then no...if i couldn't live then yes..i would...but only to support my family...
I would sell out first, then for my next album, it would be Brutal Death Metal and no one would expect it.
I'd sell out but still make records of stupid keyboard noises and lots of distortion in my bedroom.
Nope. A record deal couldn't make me play the music I don't enjoy. They either support my genre or they don't get my music... I don't care how bad my finances are, I'll just get a normal job.
Yup, no doubt. Release a few records until im rich, drop the label and go back to whatever it is i want to play.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by justin_fraser
Yup, no doubt. Release a few records until im rich, drop the label and go back to whatever it is i want to play.

But, people would never listen to you because “Ewwww, they used to be an Emo band.”
If i didn't have to dress then part, then I probly would.
Random Metal-X fact:

Metal-X now sponsors: Blood Culprit!

"Ass Fuckingly Loud"

\m/^_^\m/ New Songs Up!!! \m/^_^\m/
I'm not really sure... I might do it just for shits and giggles, and make it as bad as possible without being completely obvious.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I'd rather cut my own dick that make emo music. But I'd do it for money and refuse to play/write any more of that crap after the first album
it seems pretty close
and i would sell out....but not into a whole emo thing. Emo ain't the best.
id definitely not want to.... but if i was in desperate need of cash i would.... however, my second cd as that band after raking in lots of cash would be w/e i was when i started to sell out to the fans who i dont like n get something going with my old fans.... i dont know if that made much sense but w.e
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
your scenario sucks, therefore im rebelling in making an answer in the poll
lol.

bands that sell out don't change their entire musical genre COMPLETELY to something else
as a sellout, but rather they get paid a ton of money to kind of "alter" it a bit to today's trends of musical preference in that genre to make the best record sales, therefore making the record label filthy f**king rich.

if that were the scenario, then yeah, I wouldn't mind, because yeah, I'd lose some fans, but I'd gain even more who are gonna love me anyway.
As long as the crowd loves you, who cares who the people are?
As long as your getting the love you want and deserve, and your getting a fat ass paycheck, then you better sell out friend!!!
Everybody would like to be rich doing the things they love, so why not be rich
doing what you love (making music) just at the cost of losing some fans, and gaining more then you lost?
besides, when bands sell out, not alot of fans drop the liking of the band, but also like the new album(s) as well.
^Oh god. Read my song (not a promotion)..

Quote by joelfaessler
I'd rather cut my own dick that make emo music. But I'd do it for money and refuse to play/write any more of that crap after the first album

So you'd first cut off your dick, THEN make the music? Then give it up?
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6
myabe we all suck thats why were sitting at a computer desk talking **** thro the enternet lol

<//////>~
Last edited by crazynickman at Sep 25, 2007,
Probably not. I'm not comfortable with getting attention, dressing up, or anything like that, not to mention I'd have trash my favorite death riffs
No. Honestly though, no. And it's hard to go from Proto-Funk to Emo. Doesn't quite work.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
i just want to play what i love to play
GUITAR

if that means that i get big and famous and so called "sell out"
so be it
im not trying to though
Call me Sean
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
He's just trying to protect our innocence.

Yes i am
Quote by :Vicious--

Your flirting powers are incredible.

Gear:
Schecter S1 Elite Black Cherry (Soapbar Neck, Invader Bridge)
Schecter Banshee
Orange Dual Terror
Boss CE-5
Goatkeeper
alot more people are going to sell-out than i thought... interesting
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
I would, but only until I made enough money so that I'd be free to do pretty much whatever I wanted afterwards. To me, that seems well worth it.
Remember when you were young
You shone like the sun...
Definitely, you can make good music of any genre, I'm not a huge fan of emo music, but once you get over the whole scene clothing then emo as a musical genre is not that bad. Plus you can always slowly change your style over time without losing many fans and gaingin many more Ex: Beatles from pop to rock; Pink Floyd from trippy psychedelic music to great thoughtful jazz rock(DSOTM) to pure rock(The Wall)
MySpace
Quote by syyz1
You're right, I mean, I can imagine eating children, but listening to good music seems a little too much. You, Iruleeverything, are the master of torture.
you should probably say yes and get the deal and the publicity then break away and do your own thing and if you're good and unique (and lucky), you're music will catch some fans.

I know I couldn't play emo music seriously (no offense) so depends I guess
Anatomy Anatomy
Whale Blue Review

Park that car
Drop that phone
Sleep on the floor
Dream about me
Yes.

Because nowhere does it say you can only be in one band. You play the emo for the money, you play your music for the fun.

Win-win.
Can't stop the signal.
you could just do it, then if you got big, form another band and play what you like, and since you would already be famous you could pretty much push you other cd where you wanted it to be
Quote by Iruleeverything
Definitely, you can make good music of any genre, I'm not a huge fan of emo music, but once you get over the whole scene clothing then emo as a musical genre is not that bad. Plus you can always slowly change your style over time without losing many fans and gaingin many more Ex: Beatles from pop to rock; Pink Floyd from trippy psychedelic music to great thoughtful jazz rock(DSOTM) to pure rock(The Wall)

OH MY GOD you're not dead.
Quote by Douche ©

Aww

The Pit Cliff Notes:
Quote by SOADfreak6

<//////>~
i certainly would. i would much rather make ass loads of money playing emo music than make not ass loads of money working at a desk job. i would wear ear plugs at my shows though so i wouldn't have to listen to my own ****ty music.
Actually yes, I would actually like to be in an Emo band, Emo like Brand New, not like Sunny Day Though, (even though SDRE is awesome)
Quote by LPDave
and my mom then told me to masturbate more.

Quote by Toastbot

Big burly men grunting without shirts on pretty much summed up my childhood.

Quote by The Leader
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do more look like?
well... my band wouldnt sell out. if fact my real band has accepted the fact that where we'll be in 10 years is probably making enough money to not need a day job (yes, were a punk band)
I'm quite suprised to see as many people selling out as there are. It kinda saddens me.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
No.

A majority of my favorite/most influential bands don't live off their music. They even take world tours, live off the money for a few months, then take back their jobs at the factory, office building, hell, even fast food joints.

I wouldn't mind, at all, living paycheck to paycheck, as long as I was making the music I loved and cherished and had people who liked it enough to come see it.

Fuck fame.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
I'd rather be a god to a town, then an emo to the world...Even if the paycheck is substantially larger.
Quote by fallenangel20
No.

A majority of my favorite/most influential bands don't live off their music. They even take world tours, live off the money for a few months, then take back their jobs at the factory, office building, hell, even fast food joints.

I wouldn't mind, at all, living paycheck to paycheck, as long as I was making the music I loved and cherished and had people who liked it enough to come see it.

Fuck fame.

exactly
Here's a real life scenario...

I find Jazz to be very boring music, and it's one of my least favorite genres. I joined Jazz band this year, for the sole point of getting 5 extra credits easily.

Fucking right I'd sell out. However, I wouldn't go by their conditions. I'd play the music, but I won't start dressing how I'm told to dress. In every performance I've ever put on, I've either worn concert band atire (White button up shirt with tie, black dress pants, and black dress shoes), or sunglasses, a hockey jersey, and jeans, with the only shoes I own that AREN'T black dress shoes. It's me, and nobody can change me. The jersey shows my other passion, the game of hockey. The sunglasses represent the more hidden side of me, that I don't display too often, and the jeans just represent comfort..and the fact that the only pants I wear are jeans
Yellowknife, Northwest Territories
Yeah, I'd take the money. $$$$$$ Call me a sellout.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Page 1 of 4