As a guitar player, is it bad that I have a habit of cracking my knuckles? I've heard by some that its linked to arthritis, but others say it isn't. What do y'all think?
X Sign Here
My mom's read doctor reports that it keeps the joints loosened and helps prevent arthritis. I have the same habit.
Does anyone know how to crack only their index finger?

I can only crack my two index fingers

Edit: Does anyone know how to crack any finger other than their index finger?

I somehow wrote that differently
Last edited by hug a llama at Sep 25, 2007,
yes, just grab the index finger and push it like its closing
Quote by dunkelblau

Dear Stoner Stone,
I have found in reading this post that you are lacking the intelligence of a normal person.
you need serious help, possibly involving a screwdriver, and a large piece of wood.
please, be deceased now.
thank you

Cracking your fingers might be an annoying habbit but it hasn't been linked to increased risks of arthritis. The cracking occurs by little nitrogen bubbles released from the joints.
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Myself and a lot of other guitarists I know crack knuckles a lot. I've actually got a lot of control over it, I can crack individual fingers, and I can crack them at will just by flexing them (without the help of my other hand). Unfortunately this results in a need to crack my knuckles sometimes when playing or else they don't work right, and it has affected my playing once in a while.
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
It does not lead to arthritis, that's just an old wives tale. It relieves pressure in little air sacks between the joints, so if anything, it makes you feel better.

That is all.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
arthritis is developed from a constant daily over use of a joint or joints.
thats why people who work on computers all day for their job constantly typing,
tend to have a high percentage of developing arthritis in their wrists/fingers.

cracking your knuckles however, is relieving stress on the joints, if anything, its going to be healthy for your knuckles which would prevent getting arthritis, but it can be an annoying habit for some people.
hooray i have a horrible habit of it and i was trying to quit so i dont get arthritis but it's all good now, which is good because I love cracking my knuckles and my toes.
I have to crack my knuckels to keep my hands lose.

My hands get stiff from playing, and cracking them really helps.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by fallenangel20
I have to crack my knuckels to keep my hands lose.

My hands get stiff from playing, and cracking them really helps.

Weirdo...
Quote by glm
Weirdo...

Nuh-uh....

Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by evening_crow
Cracking your fingers might be an annoying habbit but it hasn't been linked to increased risks of arthritis. The cracking occurs by little nitrogen bubbles released from the joints.

exactly what i was gonna say.
Quote by snipelfritz
I, for one, am far more interested in trying to suck my own dick.

Quote by rilakam
I can do it. I'm pretty flexible. I've done it once, it was pretty weird. When I came my stomach muscles felt like exploding so yeah... never doing that again.

This is good to know. My mom yells at me whenever I do it saying that I'll get arthritis. I sort of believed it wasn't true, but I didn't know that it was actually good for you.
X Sign Here
ive had a lot of hand troubles (carpel, rsi, arthritis)from playing high action guitars badly and classical guitar and playing drums like dave grohl (hard hitting). I would strongly advise you (as my hand therapist did to me) not to do it.. you are corroding the bone in the knuckles if you do it . I used to do it every hour which ended up causing more pain..now i never do it (ive had an extensive rehab program)
Oh, and I don't know why, but girls have been impressed with my ability to crack all the knuckles on one hand just by flexing the fingers, even though I never did it for this purpose...
Survivor of the St. John's Lockdown
Quote by SG thrasher

The thread-starter is a legend.
Seriously, who thinks "Shit, i'm gonna die, BRB, Ima' tell UG."?

Quote by The_Paranoia

Congratz man, you are a true, American Hero.
Go Schneiderman!

Gun Facts: Educate Yourself
Quote by Schneiderman
Oh, and I don't know why, but girls have been impressed with my ability to crack all the knuckles on one hand just by flexing the fingers, even though I never did it for this purpose...

those girls need their holes filled asap.
Quote by kossner
As a guitar player, is it bad that I have a habit of cracking my knuckles? I've heard by some that its linked to arthritis, but others say it isn't. What do y'all think?

It's not linked to arthritis; that's one of those myths, like hairy palms and blindness from masturbation.

Like others have said, it's just bubbles essentially.

However, I have read that, over time, it can cause flexibility problems. Or something along those lines. Of course, if I were you, I wouldn't be asking The Pit for health advice.
Spiral Out
^ what the hell did you fix there? Oh, yeah I crack my knuckles pretty often I can crack each finger like 2 times whenever i crack them, and i can crack my neck just by rolling my head onto my shoulder. feels great, but i do agree its kinda gross sometimes.
i crack them often. and if cracking them releases nitrogen bubbles, cracking them must in some way release more bubbles than is necessary. for example, people who do not crack their knuckles wouldn't just keep building up nitrogen would they? and it seems to me the more i crack them, the more i NEED to crack them, if that makes any sense at all...

and i was dumb enough to start a habit of cracking my neck intentionally. i thought it would be cool to be able to crack it, so i started tweaking it occasionally, now everyday i wake up and crack my neck insanely.

..i'm trying to get off these habits, but it's good to know they aren't harmful

My mind is going. I can feel it.