when you stated playing did you pick a song and played it to death or bounce from one to an other...
let me know.
I dont think id recommend bouncing quickly, or at the same time playing a song to death. I'd say try to find a healthy balance between the two. Use different parts of different songs with specific techniques to help you develop different skills you want to have as a bassist. Hopefully what i just said has some sort of meaning and will help you at least a little.
I seen to have fallen into the trap of playing the begening of hundreds of songs but only a hand full from start to end.
Quote by hayes
I seen to have fallen into the trap of playing the begening of hundreds of songs but only a hand full from start to end.

you, sir, are just like every other budding guitarist out there. i can hear it now, the first four bars of sanitarium, stairway to heaven, smells like teen spirit, and so it goes.

ps, i hate it when people do this
Guy Stabs

-like a snail along a straight razor, dividing itself through motion
M E S H U G G A H
I typically have a list of songs (in my head) that I want to learn, so I basically do two or three quick runs over the song, whether I can keep up or not, and then work the next the same and then the next, and so forth. Eventually I play a bunch of songs I already know and like for a while, and then I go back to the new songs, repeat, and then on the third time around I've already gotten a feel for all the songs, the speeds, the techniques, and so it's easier for me to perfect a song then the next. Usually I do this between 4-7 songs.
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Yeah, bouncing does suck. That's what I did alot with my guitar. I found that when I moved to bass, I played full songs instead of just parts of songs, probably due to the fact I have to actually try to read music notation instead of tabs.

Tabs sort of do that do you. Make you bounce because of the endless possiblities of songs you can learn just from the internet.
I'm trying to even things out nowadays, play a good amount of this song before moving onto another one. Then move back to review. It's for fun.
Yeah, bouncing does suck...
but like mhylands said work on4 or 5 songs, not so boring, until one day when you turn on the radio and albert king plays still got the blues,or you hear tommy2 tone, then i drop a few songs and relace them with new one lol...and so it goes
dont really matters anyway it is all good.
you know what is playing on sirius 14 now..Get Ready by Rare earth
dam i forgat about that one, looks like sweet child of mine just got droped.
Ben
it has been 5 days and i only played one song over and over, i chose..Get Ready by Rare earth ....
i m glad i did that, i actualy memorised the whole song and was able to put some feelings into my playing..
now i will try something by the police...
I focus on one song while I'm actually learning it, but I bounce around while I'm just playing. My mom probably got so sick of Tool this summer
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
ive gotten this horrible habit of just learning the main riff to a song. i hate it. im gonna quit diong that tho
i used to play a good balance id think now after 2 years, when im learning a song, ill sit there and play 8 bars or so litterally like 50 times, then move to the next couple bars and so on, naturally the easier it is the less time i spend. easy songs i learn in like 5 mins so then i move to another one, but i dont learn to many easy songs nowadays

when Moses brought down the plagues upon Egypt one of them involved Behringer amps

Dont be so humble, your not that great....
DO you guys memorized all the songs or use tabs and or guitar pro?
like use tabs as you play and fallow the cd.
Quote by hayes
DO you guys memorized all the songs or use tabs and or guitar pro?
like use tabs as you play and fallow the cd.

I usually throw my headphones on and follow along with the song.
Well i made the mistake when i started to learn the beginning of about 1 million songs lol and only know a few total but i slowed that down and i can only do about 6 songs total lemme see..Endlessly She Said by Afi, Anna Molly by Incubus, Californication by Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Enter Sandman by Metallica, look at that thats all ive learned total lol i seriously recommend learning the bass lines then comparing them to the guitar line as you play always check guitar lines they have alot to do with you flow very important that you know the key and tempo of the song...good luck
I usually pick one band and play all of their songs to death. :p

But for reals, I try to learn as much of a variety as possible.. all the way through. (Thank goodness for Jazz band!)
When I learn a song (unless I really like the bass) I tend to build a whole new line, or at least improvise a ****load. (for example, By the Way has so many opportunities for amazing fills, it's funny)
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.