i feel everyone can benefit from this, i copied and pasted my reply in another topic.

when practicing, you want to practice without backing tracks. i feel practicing with a backtrack isn't very good. a lot of players start to depend on the back track to guide them, if someone were to stop the track in the middle of playing, a lot of players would lose the feel and the pocket.

so it is best to practice without a backing track, and really focus on making yourself sound good and on time. if you can do it without a back track, then you can do it with any back track you want.

also when you practice, try this. on the EQ of your amp, set the treble all the way up, the middle around half way, and the bass on 0. try to use a strat bridge or bridge/middle pickup. but if you can't any guitar bridge pickup will worlk, and practice with a clean setting. do not use effects, no reverb, no overdrive.

work on making yourself sound good, it helps.

recommended videos to watch.

Scott Henderson Melodic Phrasing

Scott Henderson Jazz Fusion Improvisation

Don Mock: Blues From Rock To Jazz

Robben Ford: Playing The Blues

Robben Ford: Blues and Beyond

Larry Carlton: Master Class

Tomo Fujita: Advance Your Guitar Playing

Tomo Fujita: Tone Merchants Clinic

ADDED NOTE: i notice a lot of people here are interested in jazz improv. i feel the best way to practice that is to first start by listening to a lot of jazz. then start transcribing songs. not just learning them note for note, but writing them down too, preferably in music notation, you get more out of it.

also make sure you have a very good understanding of blues music, i feel you can't jump into jazz/fusion/ etc if you do not have a good understanding of blues music. blues rhythm , blues progressions, blues soloing, etc.

again this is just advice that can and probably will make you a better musician, i just thought i should share.
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."
interesting point i just might try it since i cant play without my laptop and guitar pro running...
Also, you might want to check out John Petrucci's "Rock Discipline. " It's absolutely wonderful for any style of music, as it explains practice techniques and how to develop solo lines and such.
hai guize join mah gr00pz plz kthx:

thats a good one too
http://richmusic.dmusic.com

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible."