Ok, so I'm looking to mod a guitar, and I was thinking of wierd things to do. One of my ideas was to put either a lipstick coil pickup or a P90 in the neck position, and something hot at the bridge (Like a Super distortion).

This is my first experience doing something like this, and my friend says that just because I use different pickups, doesn't mean I'll get real different sounds out of my guitar.

I don't get it at all. I would greatly appreciate if someone could explain what this means to me.

Also, I wanted to know if anyone could point me in the direction of any cheap guitars new or used, I don't care about about looks as long as it sounds good and is stable.

So far it looks like I'm going with this rerouted with a 5 way switch, but tell me if you see anything else or if you have any sort of experience with this store/brand.:
http://store.nationalmusicsupply.com/Items/eg-s3-rd?sck=31339827

THANK YOU. MAKE MY FIRST PROJECT A SUCCESS.

edit: And btw, the guitar for me to use can also be a body+neck (with truss rod), no hardware needed.
My current ghetto setup:

Crate VC508 (Needs new speaker and pots BADLEY.)
Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
BBE Sonic Maximizer (rack)
Last edited by Thelastrilo at Sep 25, 2007,
Well, you're probably not going to like this, but I wouldn't do this project, if you're still playing through your MG or Frontman. You won't notice a significant difference through those amps. If you're going to spend money on a Super Distortion and a P-90 of some sort...You can save up for a better amp.

You will get different tones with different pickups, though - Just to prove your friend wrong.... I've changed my pickups before, and installed different types of switches. It definitely makes a difference through a good amp (Usually tube. ).
Quote by forsaknazrael
I wouldn't do this project, if you're still playing through your MG or Frontman.

Heh. I know. But I'm selling the MG/Starcaster so I can build this thing, and I'm hoping it will last me a long time. The reason I really need this is because my Imperial has floyd rose, and I don't really want a D tuna, so I want to use this for that purpose. I hope to get a 5 watt crate soon.

Also, i want to know anyones opinion on using either a plywood or agathis guitar for a project...
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1
yeah, the Palamono or whatever it's called... That or an epiphone 5 watt triggerman.

Anyway, I play classic rock and early metal. I would have about 200$ or so to burn on this, but I might just use that money to get the amp instead.

Anyway, shoots for your idea.

And the super distortion was actually an example, I would probably get a 40 or so $ humbucker.

I've been looking at things from "Subway guitars"
My current ghetto setup:

Fender R15
Peavey T-60
Original LPB-1