You see, my band and I have recorded a number of songs on audacity. The trouble though, is that we're scared that someone might steal our songs. Any ideas on what to do?
why would anyone steal your songs?

If you're really worried about it, mail a cd of the songs to yourself. Instant copyright.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
In the US songs are copyright protected as soon as they are created - hence i don't think you have much to worry about.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Computer file with date might work - mailing it to yourself will receive a date from the postal service and thus SHOULD (but don't quote me) prove the date of your material. You sound like you know someone who is pissed at you and wants to steal your stuff.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Alright, that sounds cool. Thanks for the help.

And by the way, there is this one kid who's really pissed off with me. So I'm kinda worried about him.
^Thats what I thought.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Quote by British Josh
Say someone does steal them, how can I prove that I wrote and recorded it first?

jeez listen to civildp1. what he said is the best way to go (just DONT open the envelope and make sure it gets postmarked)
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12