I currently have a thunderbird IV, a peavy, and a jackson.. I really like the tone that the dual humbucker pickups on the t-bird give me, But i want a Fender P bass, but i am not a big fan of the fender sound. I was wondering if its possible to get the same style pickups on a pbass body, that are on the tbird, custom, or if there are any good bass's out there that have that setup already.
Swollen fingers of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join

--Gear--
AXE:Epiphone Thunderbird IV, Peavey Fury II, Jackson CB20
AMP:Peavey Pro 500
CAB:Ampeg BXT-410HL4
you could get a fender p or j and trade out the pickups...a little routing will be needed but it shouldnt be too hard. The pickups on the Tbird are supposedly EMGs... Otherwise there are alot of basses with p/j style bodies and necks but with "soapbar" pickups...im not sure it will be identical though...cant think of any names off the top of my head but i know its actually fairly common among ibanez and others...
The T-Birds have EMGs? I thought they were just Gibson/Epi soapbars...

Regardless, as cloud said, there are many basses out there with dual soapbar/humbuckers and a "traditional" body style:

Ibanez: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SR500-Soundgear-4String-Bass?sku=515055

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-SRX500-Bass?sku=519574

ESP: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-B254-Bass?sku=513742

Spector: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Spector-Legend-Classic-4String-Bass?sku=517435

Anyways, all those basses are pretty versatile, so I'm sure you could dial in a T-Bird sound if you wanted, but I don't see what's so appealing about a muddy tone
Well, the way we play, the speed, and the dark tones, work really well with our music, we are doing some things a bit different, and mostly i want it for recording. I have multiple bass's the peavy i have has a single soapbox pickup, the jackson is your typical p/j, I really like that gritty sound that i get from the tbird, but i want the light feel of a fender.. The esp looks really nice. How are they? worth the money, or should i hold out for the spector?
Swollen fingers of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join

--Gear--
AXE:Epiphone Thunderbird IV, Peavey Fury II, Jackson CB20
AMP:Peavey Pro 500
CAB:Ampeg BXT-410HL4
Well Im guessing you play metal (given your name and the t-bird/jackson). ESPs (well, the LTD ones) are basically made for metal. watch Headbangers ball and at least every other band has them. I, though, would say for the long run, the Spector. If you like that one, then they do have good high ends as well (from what I hear). If you can, try all your options out for yourself, but Im sure you already knew that.
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/
Quote by orphenshadow
Well, the way we play, the speed, and the dark tones, work really well with our music, we are doing some things a bit different, and mostly i want it for recording. I have multiple bass's the peavy i have has a single soapbox pickup, the jackson is your typical p/j, I really like that gritty sound that i get from the tbird, but i want the light feel of a fender.. The esp looks really nice. How are they? worth the money, or should i hold out for the spector?

The ESP's are pretty decent, but I would personally go for a Spector. Higher quality, great tones, and I find them very comfortable.
Thunderbirds to not have EMG pickups. Period.

If you take a Precision bass and put on T-Bird pickups, you'll literally break my heart.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
the idea is not so strange. lots of basses have two humbuckers. neither the Gibson, or Epi come equipt with EMG's, stock. the EBMM's are good double 'bucker basses.
as are the G&L, Schecter, Spector, ESP, Peavey, and a gazillion other better basses, than the T-bird.
*maniacal laughter from the shed* AAAAAhahahaha!!! Cheap second hand Squier P-bass + Bartolini H/Bs + router + workbench + Badass = ?

Seriously tho', those Spectors are damn fine basses. Built to last, and reasonably priced (at least here in the UK). Might I also suggest the Yamaha TRB, or the Ibanez ATK if money's a bit tighter. That triple coil pickup's a bit of a beast.
I can vouch for the ownage of Spector basses, and fully recommend that you save up for one.
Quote by thefitz
Thunderbirds to not have EMG pickups. Period.

If you take a Precision bass and put on T-Bird pickups, you'll literally break my heart.

A thunderbird's tone can make baby Jesus cry.

And somebody said warwick, yes they are GREAT for metal, but kinda expensive.
I just had an idea as I was going to sleep last night. You could do a p/h or h/p set up. I have no idea what it would sound like, but at least you wont completely break Fitzys heart. Maybe just a mild heart attack .
SX Ursa 2
G&L Tribute L-2500
Ibanez ATK700 (all but sold)
Ashdown Elec. Blue 180 (need something else...)

-Bass Militia- \m/