Poll: do you buy guitars etc. off line or in your local store?
Poll Options
View poll results: do you buy guitars etc. off line or in your local store?
yes
8 35%
no
4 17%
sometimes or depends
11 48%
Voters: 23.
i don't get why people buy guitars online. they are way more overpriced and you don't get to play it before you buy it.

I mean i got my Gibson SG standard for $800 at my local store. because one it was only $1100 then two i traded in a trumpet for $300. If i were to buy it off musiciansfriend.com it'd be like $1500 in the end and i never would have got to play it or try out different ones.

so why do so many people buy off line and how do sites like musicainsfriend.com get so many costumers?
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat
*B.C. Rich NJ Series Mocking Bird

*Ibanez PF series acoustic
*Ibanez AE 30
sorry i messed up that poll lol its spose to be "do you buy off line rather than store"
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
depends, basically. if i'm saving a substantial amount, or if I want something that I can only get online, then i buy online. If i'm only saving like £10, i'd buy in a local shop. Also depends on the brand and/or instrument in question, as different brands and models will have differing levels of quality control. EDIT: also if you don't live too close to your nearest store, online could be handier, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are limited choices in stores... Big chains such as GC or Sam Ash (well at least where I live), have limited guitars available at the stores. The smaller guitar stores charge more than online. If I know what I want, I usually buy online because I find better deals. +

I still don't see how musiciansfriend would have charged you $1500 for a $1100 SG. They don't charge you tax, and you would have gotten free shipping. Are you just trying to brag by saying you traded your trumpet and got a $300 credit towards your SG??

The last 2 guitars I bought were:

Epi LP Custom - $399 on sale (Musiciansfriend), free shipping, and NO tax.

Ibanez S470BK - $339 (Ebay, new), paid for shipping, but they discontinued this model and this was the one I was looking for.
Err i only buy online because it SAVES u money... if it costs more than ur lookin at the wrong site!
Then again like, alot of stores don't have al the products in store.. Also i dont like the idea of buying the ON RACK guitar which hundreds of dregg kids have put their greasy hands on
If I can, I'd rather buy from the store.

Especially if I can get the floor model.

Simply put, there're so many things that can be different about guitars - even between two of the same model - that it's really important to know exactly what you're getting.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
first of all musicians friend and guitar center are the same company. they have the same prices on the tags. there may be store sales where the price would be different. i would buy certain things from musicians friend if they had a deal but i mainly use it for research and then go into the store to buy whatever i'm looking for. the best deals online are looking at classified sites to find people in your area selling gear. i go onto craigslist.com in chicago. i got a new digitech whammy for 140. no tax no shipping.
I prefer to buy from stores, but the fact is that they're more expensive. For example, now I'm looking for a Gibson SG Standard too, and I've found it online for 1222 € (new), and in my local shop it goes for about 1600. So really a big difference. So in this case, I'd go online ^^'
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
well its not like my sg i just got the floor model either. a lot of small stores around here can order for you and when it comes in you're not completely obligated to buy it. and you can make sure it's got no defects ect.
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
From the last thread on this topic:

...or use it to deal the store down I prefer to buy from my local stores for a few reasons:

#1: You get to play the guitar before you get it, and make sure you like it. Plus with some inconsistent guitars like Epiphones and Squiers, you can be sure you're getting a good one

#2: Service. In most cases, they are far easier to work with then a store

#3: If something is wrong, they are there to fix it and make it right.

#4: 9/10 you can get a better deal.

Use the search function
i always go to a local store cause i can try them and if i dont like it i dont have to buy it
Quote by Flea413
ps- yeah its basically $1500 on musicians friend
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-SG-Standard-Electric-Guitar?sku=517265
i guess we just have way better local shops here. stuff in there is WAY cheaper than anywhere i can find new online.

maybe your SG was used?
I HAVE A BAND NAMED FALLING CONFESSIONS
AND I PLAY LEAD GUITAR
AND I P0WN!!!

"When there's a freakin' will, there is always a freakin' way!"
If I understand the poll, you're asking whether or not you prefer to buy guitars in stores rather than online?

I generally don't buy anything online I can get locally at a store. I hate waiting for shipping and processing - It's the digital age, waiting is obsolete.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
nope it def wasnt lol
*Gibson SG
*Fender Strat

*Ibanez AE 30
Quote by Flea413
nope it def wasnt lol

Which finish/color did you get?
Quote by duggyrocks
Also, I find that in small stores, the display guitar is the one you get. Think about how many finger have played that guitar. Its basically a used guitar at full price.

yep, that's a bit of a quandary. if you're considering a guitar which is known to have spotty QC, but you also know if you search you can find a really good one, buying from the net is a bit daft.

Then again, buying from a shop where prices are 50% more than online, and where you know 50 people have been playing them before you after eating in mcdonalds, is a bit daft too.

Ah, northern ireland.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?