just wondering, is there anything special i'd need to do to my guitar so i can tune down to drop b and for it to stay in tune and not have floppy strings?

besides buying really heavy gauge strings is there anything else?

oh and also would i have to keep it in the dropped tuning or could i go from b back to standard if i wanted to?

thanks =D
I named my acoustic guitar Paris, cause' its got a big hole
hell i dont.
my guitar is in drop b right now and i have ****ing 10s.
it sounds fine to me.
Quote by joehhy
i will use my lvl 90 Golduck against the evil 4chans, they will not stand a chance

Quote by Led Pepplin
My penis is quite literally trembling in fear.

FLOCKDRAW!!!!!!! EPICS!!!!!
it matters what guitar you have. if it's a strat it might be a bitch but other guitars work fine.
Smile alot today... okay?
Not true in the slightest.

Heavier strings.

A setup.

Hell, I made sure to look for completely different pups than I usually would to make sure the guitar sounded good all the way down there.

If you set it up to play well in Drop B, you will not be able to get it back up to standard.
Quote by Sumthing Catchy
it matters what guitar you have. if it's a strat it might be a bitch but other guitars work fine.

My Fender is in C right now, without any problems. The thing is, eventhough a strat has a floating bridge, if you detune it, it will simply "sit" on the body, effectively turning it into a hardtail.

The only guitars that really need some adjustment when detuning are guitars with a Floyd Rose-style floating bridge, but we're talking about a few minutes of making adjustments.

Although, as a disclaimer, if you plan on keeping it in the lower tuning I advise you to check the intonation and after a while of having it tuned down check the neck if it needs a truss rod adjustment.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
You will need heavier gauge strings.

That's like saying you want to haul concrete, but you don't want to buy a truck. Sorry, man.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Bubonic Chronic
You will need heavier gauge strings.

That's like saying you want to haul concrete, but you don't want to buy a truck. Sorry, man.

Apart from XXm3t@lXX who doesn't say that you need heavy strings?
Ok. If you have a floyd rose (or similar bridge) it wont be that easy. you can put heavier strings on and then get it in tune and lock it down and be fine.

With a stray style bridge, you can also put heavier strings on it to make it work fine. Or you can let the bridge rest onthe body like they said above.

With a hardtail its the simplest. Just out on the sting preference and there you go.

FOr tuning back up. You can do it but the string tension might be really tight. It could also affect the bend in your neck. I have strings on my guitar that I used for drop A and its tuned up to half a step down now and my neck was even broken in half before. So it can be done. Just be careful.
My Gear:
Gibson SG special (W/ S.D. Jazz(N) & JB (B))
Mesa-Boogie Solo Triple Rec. (with EL-34's)
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss TU-2 Chromatic tuner
(what else do i need)

Where i work:
www.beanstalkmusic.com
ok thanks guys.

and to stop some confusion, my guitar is an epiphone sg that has been properly set up.

so should be all good?
I named my acoustic guitar Paris, cause' its got a big hole
Quote by Futsal_Vs
ok thanks guys.

and to stop some confusion, my guitar is an epiphone sg that has been properly set up.

so should be all good?

It should be.

Just put on some heavier strings if you don't want them slopping about after detuning and check your intonation just to be sure.