Hey all my names James, im new to this forum and to playing guitar, i can play 2 songs 'wild thing' chorus, and the simpsons lol!!

Im crap but im learning and very very eager, does anyone know any songs i can play just to learn, songs that people will know when i play them, songs that are easy tro start with, just to help my strumming technique to start with..

Ill appreciate any help, tips, tricks etc...

thanks for reading,

James.
Hey there James. Welcome to UG. Go check out a section on this forum called Guitar and Bass Basics. It's near the bottom of the list. In there there is a thread called: the beginner song program. It's basicall a program you can use to find good songs for beginners, what's easy about them and a direct link the their tablature on UG.
I tried this but i cant seem to find any songs that are for begginners it seems to bring up songs for people who know alot of chords or how to play properly... does anyone know any tabs of songs that i can play, just something small, something i can practice with.
Hrmm, I'll go have a look. Some of the songs might be too hard for the actual list. Gimme a while though, I have a few other things to do as well.
Pffft im strugling, i tried wonderwall by oasis, i love the tune, i used to know the chorus of champagne supernova but i fogot it now, im crap, i really am lol, im struggling badly, i cnt bloody position my fingers, i suppose it dunt help that this house is bloody freezing n i can barely feel my fingers lol...

I can play wild thing pretty well, spose bcos its all ive played for around 3 months lol.. simpsons sounds different now i have a new string.. so i dont like playing that.. or maybe i fogot the strings for that aswel..

lol im p**s poor... ill learn, but i want help!!!

thanks lads.

James.
I know, i keep playing this song i know, i tried playing like a pro, faster n faster n then i relised how i was messing up lol, so i slow it right down n it sounds much better, my technique comes alot easier...

At the mo im perfecting this song that i know... when i find something better and something new ill move onto that, but its finding something that isnt really hard to learn... i dont mind having to try hard and put effort in, but theres easy songs and theres songs that i dont have a chance with atm...
Quote by Confusius

I would recommend powertabs. It's pretty much as good as gp and it is free. You can actually download it from UG. Go into any powertab and in the download tab page you will see a link.

As for the strumming, practice practice practice! Try various songs with different types of strum patterns. I recommend wonderwall by oasis. It's a good popular tune to get started on. Also practice a bit yourself. Make up your own patterns. Once you have got something you like, practice it until you can really play it well. Without mistakes and without thinking about it. The metronome is also a must have for every guitarist. An example of how to use it properly would be:

Find an easy strum pattern like: 4 eight notes followed by two quarter notes. That is 4 beats in a bar. An easy 4/4. Then you will hav 1 clicks of the metronome per quarter note, 4 per bar. This said:

2 eight notes=1 quarter note. Sooo with this in mind. In the strum pattern we have it's 1 click for 2 eight notes. So you would strum: 2 eight notes(click)2 eight notes(click)quarter note(click)quarter note(click). So the eight notes are faster than quarter notes. Or better still, they are half the quarter notes value.

Right, so now you can play that at sixty? Time to notch it up. Put it a 64. Practice it like that for a good while. Everytime you can play it smoothly without mistakes push it up again. Do this with all kind of rhythms, adding rests as you get better: Then add some random chords and practice the changes back at sixty again and repeat the process. Then add some mutes. Then add some barre chords and so on. Soon you will be able to dissect all kinds of strumming patterns!

Don't forget, it takes time, for my first year of playing I SUCKED at this. Really, I was a heap of **** at strum progressions, I couldn't get a steady rhythm going, I couldn't change chords, I was always out of time. Don't let yourself get discouraged because you can't get it at first. I all comes with time.

Nice one ill get started with that for now, ill see what im good at!:P

I want to learn wonderwall as my 1st whole song.. it would be ace, when i listen to the song on my pc it sounds awsome, the guitar is really clear and u can hear the strumming and the notes coming from it, its a brilliant song, very very inspiring.

Its just doing it, it dosnt sound right when i try play it and i cant change notes, plus i cnt even do the notes properly! its a struggle!

thanks though, this helps. Id be grateful of anything else that you can find that will help.

cheers,

James.
Wonderwall is a great one for doing with the metronome. Probably one of the best to get your strumming started. G'luck mate!
What I did was learn as many chords as I could, then tackle songs. From chords come notes, from notes come amazing songs.