Ok guys, my computer is really stuffed atm and i was hoping that the pit could help me!

This is what its been doing:

First the comp was shutting itself down whenever the CPU usage was high (ie. when gaming)

Then after a month of above action happening, when i went to switch my comp on it would sound like its working and the fans would turn on and all that but no image came up on screen and the mouse and keyboard lights weren't on.

Then a day later it started working again, so i thought cool and shut down.

Next day it would turn on but no image would come up (as it day earlier)

I've come up with these possible problems: the power supply is cooked; the comp was overheating; my graphics card is fried.

If anyone could help me it would be much appreciated....i've got some ideas what to do to fix it but really im still an amatuer when it comes to this ****, but i can install most plug and play hardware so if you guys tell me whats wrong i'll open up the old girl and fix her. Cheers
Yeah sounds like either your fan is buggered out on you, maybe open her up and give it a clean,

or did you just get a new graphics card or something? Because your power supply might not be able to handle it.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
Last edited by RaNdoM-FeLiX at Sep 26, 2007,
Nah the graphics card is the same old one that was there originally....i added a wireless network card to the it (if that takes up alot of power). I downloaded speed fan and it told me i only had 2 fans operating so im thinking i gotta chuck another fan in there somehow.
Member of the Pink Floyd fan club. PM nick dixon or TimiHendrex33 to join

Quote by abcdboy
So you crapped out of your mouth?

ARE YOU A PLANARIA?!
Hmmm... well how much power does your wireless network card use? and what size power supply do you have?

I LOVE KENSAI
because it could be so many things maybe even hard drive??? i would say find some computer forums or google the problems your having cos id guarantee other ppl have had the problem and solved it.
Squier affinity Strat - red
Gould Les paul style - black
Fender Mexican 70's re-issue Strat - black
Gibson Les Paul Studio - worn cherry
Im not sure....but would it be possible for the power supply to become slightly damaged, as in enough to make the computer seemingly run while not having enough power to start up the peripherals(i think thats what they are called?!) of monitor and keyboard.

EDIT: k i'll try some forums awsell. if anyone knows some good ones let me know, in the meantime ill google.
well yeah sure, if your computer needs more power than its being supplied, naturally its not going to be able to run certain parts.
But usually monitors have there own power supply.

I LOVE KENSAI
Fans turning on would suggest that your Power Supply and Motherboard are probably still working. Also I've fried two graphics cards and it doesn't really match your description. Both times the screen just went all screwy (artifacts) but the computer thought it was still operating properly other then that.

My bet would be on a burnt out CPU. (based on the fact that your computer would reset at high load and eventually got the point of not even posting)

Do you have a PC speaker connected. Is the computer beeping when it turns on? If it is, the number of beeps gives you a clue as to what the error is (look it up in the manual).
Ok, no beeps when it turns on, power light is on, fans start, lights for the keyboard and mouse don't light up (ie. num lock won't make LED light up), monitor is in standby mode. Could it possibly be the CPU as this used to be my uncle's office computer and he gave it to me, im guessing it would have been left running for 8 hours a day maybe for some months.
**** theres no simple answer to all this stuff....i think i'll take it in somewhere to get it checked out cause i need the comp for study purposes. thanks for all ur help
Member of the Pink Floyd fan club. PM nick dixon or TimiHendrex33 to join

Quote by abcdboy
So you crapped out of your mouth?

ARE YOU A PLANARIA?!
http://computerforums.org/ is pretty good from what I've seen. People there have helped me out a little.

My bet is on motherboard or cpu.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot