I really like flying Vs and explorers but are they to heavy metal for me?

I play rock/blues with slightly folky/progressive melodies (essentially classic rock with out the classic-ness yet) i have an american strat which is a lovely guitar but im looknig for a gibson sounding guitar next and I wonder weather i should go for a V or explorer ( sp? ) or just get a les paul jnr or SG?

What are your guys opinions on the stranger gibson shapes ( please no comments on the reverse v )
If you need us to tell you if it is too heavy metal, you probably don't want one.
Who wouldn't want an explorer??

btw, I'm not into heavy metal..
I r Pirate!
That depends on what kind of heavy metal you mean. When GnR came they were heavy metal as well as AC/DC and so on. That is now considered (more or less) classic rock and they used Gibson. On the other hand, metal bands like Judas Priest, Black Label Society, Metallica, Ozzy and such use Gibson and they apear very heavy metal in that.... combination.

I say if you wanna play the blues on an Explorer or a V, do it.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
Precisily.

Though both the Explorer and Flying V comes with "metal" pups stock, the 496R and 500T, which are pretty bad IMO.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
I suppose you guys are right, i have seen a nice champain (sp) pink flying v with slightly aged pickguard and pickup mounting rings which is SEX with strings attatched and the edges Explorer is nice also.

Any compainies that make a copy of either that compares to gibson for a lower price?
Quote by Gabel
Precisily.

Though both the Explorer and Flying V comes with "metal" pups stock, the 496R and 500T, which are pretty bad IMO.

pretty much, most people who use gibson v's or x's don't use it mainly for metal, if you have an amp with a bluesy tone, you can use any guitar with it and still get a bluesy tone
Quote by Gabel
Precisily.

yep. they aren't too metal if you're willing to swap pickups, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by deluxity
pretty much, most people who use gibson v's or x's don't use it mainly for metal, if you have an amp with a bluesy tone, you can use any guitar with it and still get a bluesy tone

Actually those pickups are HORRIBLE for blues in every way.

But put in some PAFs and they're very un- metal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
they arent too metal Its not like they had metal in the late 50's when it first came out
or in the 70's when they were more embraced
I Moser bastard V thing isnt too metal, sure it looks metal but you could be playing it for BB King providing the pickups are right, shape does not make a guitar anything it's the pickups and the amp that decides how gainy something is.
However even a set of EMGs with a Marshall kerry king signature could give you Jazz.
I have Dimarzio PAFs in both my 96 V and my 84 Explorer. Wayyyyyyyy different animal now. I can play any style of music and the pickup covers look badass on those Gibsons.
no, don't go for those guitars if you want blues/Rock, get a Telecaster, they are Blues and Graham Coxon of Blur plays one, so you know it is Rock. The same goes for the Epiphone Dot Archtops, very blusey, but Rock if you want it to be, why, Pete Doherty plays one I believe.
Any guitar can be as metal as what you want it to be, really. It's all about the pickups and what you plug into. While you CAN play blues or classic rock with the stock pickups, they won't give you the idea tone for the job. A pickup swap will fix that right up.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
I played in a jazz band for 3 years with only my RG Prestige and I made that work really well.

Don't always judge a guitar by its main use in the media, I bet Explorers can have the blues just was well as any ES-335. It's all in the player.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Any gibson is generally intended for a nice warm rock sound, unless stated otherwise.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
Quote by kai29
they arent too metal Its not like they had metal in the late 50's when it first came out
or in the 70's when they were more embraced

true, but the ones in the 50's didn't have high-output ceramic magnet humbuckers either... but yeah, pickup swap to something paf-y and you should be fine.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
perfect example

allen collins from skynyrd used a natural explorer

my flying v is my most versatile guitar
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!