In a bit of a pickle at the moment. Basically i really want to start properly recording my own stuff. I have various computers (Mac G3, Big Fat Dell-beast thing) so that's no problem. And i have an SM57 and 58 all ready.

For drums, im only going to have 2 overheads, a mic on bass, and possibly a mic on the snare. Im not one of those "mic every possible part" type of guys.

Guitars are probably going to be DI, or most likely il mic them up with an SM57, and a condenser for ambience.

Basically are there any good firewire mixers/interfaces that you recommend? Im going to spend about £80 on mics, with about £100 ish on a firewire interface/mixer. It would be cool if it came with some free software too. Im not looking for "pro studio quality" recordings, just some nice sounding demos really.

Any other options would be ace though. I just really need advice.
Theres a new toneport coming out soon. other than that, theres M-audio stuff that will also get you an in with pro tools
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Rum Monkey
Will the new toneport be able to record like 2 condensers AND two Dynamics at the same time? And is it USB or Firewire?

Thanks for your help!

the toneport runs over USB which isn't as good as firewire, but realistically, without a decentish pro setup, your never really going to realised a latency difference between the two. As for recording 4 mics at the same time, I wouldn't recomend doing it. Its def possible, but given the age of the systems you mentioned, I'm not sure they'd be able to keep up unless simultaneous monitoring isn't an issue.

I think you might have to bump up your price range quite a bit though to get anything decent. a 100 quid won't get much unless your happy with only one/two ins at a time.

recomended software for OS X: Logic 8, Logic Express 8, garageband, cubase, pro tools
for windows: sonar, cubase, pro tools

also you could use aducatiy but its not good with VST plugins.

As for plugins, look at amplitube 2. very good amp sims
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Nah the Dell i have has 4 2gb processors. Its a proper work horse, super fast.

And im not too fussed about vst plug-ins and midi. I have alot of instruments on hand, so that isnt a problem. And i have noticed alot of these firewire interfaces come with Cubase LE and Albeton or something. And all i want to be able to do is EQ, Levels, the odd reverb, so i cant justify spending HUGE amounts of software, as it would give me no advantage. Im going to get Garage band though. Looks really fun!
Quote by Rum Monkey
Nah the Dell i have has 4 2gb processors. Its a proper work horse, super fast.

And im not too fussed about vst plug-ins and midi. I have alot of instruments on hand, so that isnt a problem. And i have noticed alot of these firewire interfaces come with Cubase LE and Albeton or something. And all i want to be able to do is EQ, Levels, the odd reverb, so i cant justify spending HUGE amounts of software, as it would give me no advantage. Im going to get Garage band though. Looks really fun!

You mean 4 2ghz processors surely..which I assume would be a Core 2 Quad then?

Yes, it will have the power then and i guess if you have a quad core, you'll have enough ram with it. However be aware that not all programs can multithread and therefore not all of them can make use of all the cores you have. This is especially true for lower end versions of software which are feature-limited

Don't shun VST and MIDI. they're not just for instruments. there are plenty of plugins. Orchestra stuff. Amp sims to reamp stuff. Reverb, delay etc... and you can get a lot of good free plugins which are very useful but like I said audacity is very bad with VSTs.

Midi is also very useful for composition.

And yeah you'll get some software with it, but its not always the nicest stuff so see if your okay with what you get. For example ableton is very bad for proper instrument recording.

Your mac should have ilife with garageband preinstalled. Its not available on windows though

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Yeah sorry ghz, im too tired to correct myself

Anyway yeah, i get what you mean about vst/midi. Maybe in the future il get a midi controller (?) and use some of the sounds (Like synths and things i cant get my hands on.

Do you know any Interfaces off hand that will do the job im looking for it to do? And the cheapest software that does VST and Multithread? I know i shouldn't skimp on things like software, but my budget isnt massive. And its not realistic for me to spend vast amounts on some things.

I really appreciate your help ntw! thanks!
The Toneport isn't what you want.

Take a look at a Phonic Helixboard or an Alesis Multimix Firewire.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I have a lexicon omega USB Digital sampler and its pretty amazing really, comes with Cubase SE for recording, 6 typical jack inputs, spdif, 2 XLR inputs midi input, and its graet for direct USB recording think i payed £120 for mine however but look it up was a good buy.

Direct input from my PODXT sounds pretty damn amazing and you also get a lexicon pantheon reverb plugin which gives you AMAZING reverb on your recordings, seriously this is some of the best reverb you will hear.

Plus the cubase software does VST instruments too ive used it to do a cover of paranoid and it sounds great all on my own

if you want a sample http://www.songstorage.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Paranoid.mp3

Thats the paranoid cover i did all on my own, using the sampler, PODXT, and a cheap condenser mic + VST instruments. That was only my second attempt at doing a song cover too by the way ive gotten better at producing since then so you could get much higher quality recordings than that haha.
Last edited by Talentless at Sep 26, 2007,
yup those were midi drums and midi bass guitar, the drums i use sound even better now because i use a plug in called addictive drums where you can pick a specific kit and it uses pre recorded sound samples for the midi drums sooooo i can basically be a one man band now haha.
Hehe no problem dude, cubase takes a bit of getting used to however and the plugins are hard to use such as the reverb plug in, always remember with that to bring the mix down on the reverb a lot ! to about 15% or you sound like the song was recorded in the grand canyon, but be patient with cubase and you will be recording in no time !!

Oh and the guitar i used to record that with was a BC Rich Platinum Warlock hahahaha so im sure a decent guitar would sound even better, just having my ibanez s520ex setup by a local luthier and hes putting my EMG 81 / 85 combo in then ill be ready to record some even better stuff !
Last edited by Talentless at Sep 26, 2007,