Page 1 of 3
i recently heard this
and i instanly fell in love with his tone at 1.02 when he plays hideaway by freddy king. especially the bass crunch at 1.10 - 1.13 and just the creamy sound in general.

now my question is, what overdrive pedal could NAIL that tone ? i don't care how much it's gonna cost, and what it is, i just want that sound !!
i have a strat (well i'm gonna have it, i currently use a squier affinity strat) and a fender blues deluxe.
i know it's probably a ts808 he uses but those don't go well with my blues deluxe, i just want a pedal that can nail that tone with my gear.
thanks alot !!
Last edited by The red Strat. at Sep 26, 2007,
would that sound exactly like Stevie in that clip with my gear ? that creamy, slightly crunchy tone ?
You'd have to have the exact same gear to match it perfectly.
I can get pretty close to SRV's general tone with my Peavey classic 50 just plugging into it.
But, i'd recommend a fulltone, or maybe a ts808. Also, maybe replace your tubes in your blues deluxe, new tubes CAN make a huge difference, but not always. Also, i'm not sure if you could get even close to it with a stock squier.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
You'd have to have the exact same gear to match it perfectly.
I can get pretty close to SRV's general tone with my Peavey classic 50 just plugging into it.
But, i'd recommend a fulltone, or maybe a ts808. Also, maybe replace your tubes in your blues deluxe, new tubes CAN make a huge difference, but not always. Also, i'm not sure if you could get even close to it with a stock squier.

which fulltone would you recommend ?
i wouln't have a clue what tubes to choose then the tubes that come stock in marshall majors ??
i'm gonna use a fender soon, the squier's just temporary.
Quote by The red Strat.
would that sound exactly like Stevie in that clip with my gear ? that creamy, slightly crunchy tone ?

Exactly no. Unless you have Stevie's hand's nothing will.

But close? Yes it will.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
the keeley ts808 will get you that tone. sadly the reissue ibanaz ones aren't as good as the older ones.
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
good point
American Fender Strat
1979 Marshall Superlead
Real Mccoy Wizard Wah
Robert Keeley Boss Tremolo
Euthymia Crucible Fuzz
Fulltone OCD+Deja Vibe
Line 6 DL4
Analogman BC108
Prescription C.O.B

Im a Single Coil man
its all in the hands. He tuned low, used thick strings, and played the hell out of the guitar. bits of the giutar and skin would fly out into the aduience during shows
My Strat/Modded '69 RI Mustang
Ovation 1117-4 c. '75
Fender Blues Jr. [JJ Power Tubes, White Grille, Warehouse Speakers Greenback Clone]
BOARDZILLA 2.0

#? of EHX Guild
^^^ The Blues Deluxe isn't exactly what I'd call mid based - Vox, Marshalls and Orange are what I'd call properly mid-based amps... Fenders tend to have a very clear midrange.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Gabel
Exactly no. Unless you have Stevie's hand's nothing will.

But close? Yes it will.

i searched some youtube videos and the OCD couldn't get a creamy tone anywhere
Quote by MrCarrot
^^^ The Blues Deluxe isn't exactly what I'd call mid based - Vox, Marshalls and Orange are what I'd call properly mid-based amps... Fenders tend to have a very clear midrange.

ECisthebest told me that 'combined with a blues deluxe, it might be too fat sounding. blues deluxe has lots of mids, and the tubescreamer adds more mids. SRV tone is bass + treble - mids. not so scooped, but he doesn't have a frowning curve. i have a tubescreamer clone with most of the Keeley Mods, and it's difficult to get the SRV tone from my blues jr. If you have a blackface, those will shine with a tubescreamer. not a blues deluxe in my opinion.'

i trust him when he says that
but you're saying it won't sound too fat with a tubescreamer ?
Quote by MrCarrot

+1

Now if it was a tweed Fender...
Quote by The red Strat.
ECisthebest told me that 'combined with a blues deluxe, it might be too fat sounding. blues deluxe has lots of mids, and the tubescreamer adds more mids. SRV tone is bass + treble - mids. not so scooped, but he doesn't have a frowning curve. i have a tubescreamer clone with most of the Keeley Mods, and it's difficult to get the SRV tone from my blues jr. If you have a blackface, those will shine with a tubescreamer. not a blues deluxe in my opinion.'

i trust him when he says that
but you're saying it won't sound too fat with a tubescreamer ?
Hmm, the Blues Deluxe is essentially the same circuit as the Blues Junior, but you won't get SRV tone with a Tubescreamer and a Fender amp unless you use it in the right way. SRV used loads of different equipment, but what is pretty consistent is he used cranked valve amps.

What I'd do, is fine-tune the volume knobs on the clean channel of your amp until it breaks up when you play a real hard doublestop but is clean when played normally, and then get your Tubescreamer or anything else with a level control. Put all the gain right down, adjust EQ to taste and then turn the level up to max. That's pretty much the key to SRV tone. Unless you get an attenuator you won't achieve it quietly.
Quote by mr_hankey
+1

Now if it was a tweed Fender...

i've never been quite sure what people mean by a 'fender tweed'...
the blues deluxe is based on a bassman which apparently belongs to the 'fender tweed amps' according to google.

Quote by MrCarrot
Hmm, the Blues Deluxe is essentially the same circuit as the Blues Junior, but you won't get SRV tone with a Tubescreamer and a Fender amp unless you use it in the right way. SRV used loads of different equipment, but what is pretty consistent is he used cranked valve amps.

What I'd do, is fine-tune the volume knobs on the clean channel of your amp until it breaks up when you play a real hard doublestop but is clean when played normally, and then get your Tubescreamer or anything else with a level control. Put all the gain right down, adjust EQ to taste and then turn the level up to max. That's pretty much the key to SRV tone. Unless you get an attenuator you won't achieve it quietly.

that would be about vol. 4.
and that's ****in loud !
i guess in that case i'm happy if i come fairly close to his tone. i really prefer low volumes.
would a tubescreamer do the job then at low volumes without sounding too fat ?

oh and just to be sure, a mid based amp is the same as a very mid-rangy amp, right ? (cause i'm from belgium, and i tend to misunderstand things sometimes)
Quote by The red Strat.
the blues deluxe is based on a bassman which apparently belongs to the 'fender tweed amps' according to google.
tweed Fenders are all the original 50s models, with tweed coverings and an oxblood grillcloth. The 5F6A bassman, the Tweed Champ, the Twin-Amp, the Tweed Deluxe are all examples of them...

If it's based on a bassman then it's not too strong of a correlation. The original Bassmen ran a pair of 5881s, w9th a 12AY7 in V1 with a pair of 12AX7s. They're all interchangeable types but they contribute to a different tone. Additionally there was no MV, it had twin sets of inputs, a GZ34 rectifier valve, they're really quite different animals...
Quote by The red Strat.

The ones covered with tweed; made in the 50's. Fender currently only makes three tweed amps: the Bassman 59RI, the Deluxe 57RI, and the Twin (or did they stop making that one?). I think the Custom shop makes a few too (the Bassbreaker, for example), but they don't really count.
Quote by MrCarrot
tweed Fenders are all the original 50s models, with tweed coverings and an oxblood grillcloth. The 5F6A bassman, the Tweed Champ, the Twin-Amp, the Tweed Deluxe are all examples of them...

If it's based on a bassman then it's not too strong of a correlation. The original Bassmen ran a pair of 5881s, w9th a 12AY7 in V1 with a pair of 12AX7s. They're all interchangeable types but they contribute to a different tone. Additionally there was no MV, it had twin sets of inputs, a GZ34 rectifier valve, they're really quite different animals...

Yeah, the Bassman is a lot simpler, with less of the gain coming from the preamp, and no ICs (yuk).

The Twin-Amp is a blonde model. The 'Twin' part is right, though.
^ Sorry, my bad, I was thinking about this bad boy:

I forgot that the tweeds were also called "_-Amp"
check the edit in my last post please

what i was trying to say about that bassman thing, is that in essence the blues deluxe is a tweed amp, and therefore it's also mid-rangy.
or not ?
Quote by The red Strat.
check the edit in my last post please

what i was trying to say about that bassman thing, is that in essence the blues deluxe is a tweed amp, and therefore it's also mid-rangy.
or not ?

I'd say it has more midrange than a 'normal' blackface Fender, but less than a tweed. The tweeds sound pretty British; does your Blues Deluxe?
Quote by mr_hankey
I'd say it has more midrange than a 'normal' blackface Fender, but less than a tweed. The tweeds sound pretty British; does your Blues Deluxe?

this is what i was saying to both the red strat and MrCarrot. Tweeds are very middy brit sounding compared to blackfaces. blackfaces have a scooped tone, chimey and bassy, with stevie ray's single coils also being chimey and bassy. It probably had a really scooped tone to start with. thats probably why Stevie ray stuck a Tubescreamer in between to give a little more mids to deal with the scooped mids.

this doesn't go with tweeds. your blues deluxe is a tweed too. and they would be too fat if you stick a tubescreamer type pedal. what i would do, (trying to do now) is to get a bass+treble booster, and stick that before my amp. i'm thinking that might do a little better than a mid booster like a tubescreamer would.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by mr_hankey

well i'm gonna be honest now and say i still don't know what that big difference between a british and american sound is.
i think i can say that the OD sounds quite american, but then again it sounds a bit like a marshall aswell...
and i haven't got a clue how the cleans are voiced.
i mean, i know there's a big difference, but i can't seem to separate those two sounds in my head, you know what i mean ?
Quote by ECistheBest
this is what i was saying to both the red strat and MrCarrot. Tweeds are very middy brit sounding compared to blackfaces. blackfaces have a scooped tone, chimey and bassy, with stevie ray's single coils also being chimey and bassy. It probably had a really scooped tone to start with. thats probably why Stevie ray stuck a Tubescreamer in between to give a little more mids to deal with the scooped mids.

this doesn't go with tweeds. your blues deluxe is a tweed too. and they would be too fat if you stick a tubescreamer type pedal. what i would do, (trying to do now) is to get a bass+treble booster, and stick that before my amp. i'm thinking that might do a little better than a mid booster like a tubescreamer would.

my problem is, i definitely want the tubescreamer tone, but that tone is lots of mids basically, and that's not what i need. and pedals that aren't mid-rangy don't have the tubescreamer tone
Quote by matt92l
the keeley ts808 will get you that tone. sadly the reissue ibanaz ones aren't as good as the older ones.

No... they sound exactly the same, and that pisses everyone off who pays big money for an original.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by The red Strat.
my problem is, i definitely want the tubescreamer tone, but that tone is lots of mids basically, and that's not what i need ? and pedals that aren't mid-rangy don't have the tubescreamer tone

then shut up and go get both.

Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
No... they sound exactly the same, and that pisses everyone off who pays big money for an original.

i don't think it's "exactly" the same, the reissue ICs and other stuff sound a bit harsh, compared to my vintage clone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
the tubescreamer, and a pedal that can get you the stevie ray tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
the tubescreamer, and a pedal that can get you the stevie ray tone.

are there pedals that can give me the SRV tone besides a TS ?
and why would i get the TS if it'll sound too fat ? or is that only for srv ?
Quote by ECistheBest

TS works for SRV cuz he had a blackface. you're in a different situation.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
TS works for SRV cuz he had a blackface. you're in a different situation.

yes, i know that. but it also coloured his tone.
so my problem is, any pedal that doesn't have a mid hump doesn't sound like a TS, and a TS will sound too fat for SRV...

when you said it'll sound too fat, did you mean for srv, or just in general ?
Quote by The red Strat.
any pedal that doesn't have a mid hump doesn't sound like a TS, and a TS will sound too fat for SRV...

no ****.
Quote by The red Strat.
when you said it'll sound too fat, did you mean for srv, or just in general ?

i meant too fat for srv. if you just want creamy overdrive, blues deluxe + tubescreamer works well. but SRV's overdrive is not creamy. and plus... it's hardly overdriven... it was loud as hell, but it doesn't get that distorted.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
no ****.

i meant too fat for srv. if you just want creamy overdrive, blues deluxe + tubescreamer works well. but SRV's overdrive is not creamy. and plus... it's hardly overdriven... it was loud as hell, but it doesn't get that distorted.

well, the point of that was, what the hell do i get for SRV then ??

in the interview, it was or is my conception of creamy wrong ?
i didn't notice it was loud as hell, how do you know that ?
well yeah i never said it was distorted much
Quote by The red Strat.
well, the point of that was, what the hell do i get for SRV then ??

in the interview, it was
i didn't notice it was loud as hell, how do you know that ?
well yeah i never said it was distorted much

his concerts were loud as hell. getting that tone from a blackface ain't gonna be done at low volumes. i think i recommended treble/bass boosters. or why not just try ur amp's EQ with ur volume at like 6-7? it would be pretty decent. if u can't, get an attenuator. that would let you use ur amp at 12.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
his concerts were loud as hell. getting that tone from a blackface ain't gonna be done at low volumes. i think i recommended treble/bass boosters. or why not just try ur amp's EQ with ur volume at like 6-7? it would be pretty decent. if u can't, get an attenuator. that would let you use ur amp at 12.

oh i thought you were talking about that song in the interview.

yes, you recommended that but is that really gonna give me that nasally tubescreamer tone ?

i hate high volumes and my parents even more so that not an option

yeah but even with an attenuator, i'd still need a pedal that gives me his nasally tone, and i don't think bass-trbele boosters do that...
Quote by The red Strat.
yes, you recommended that but is that really gonna give me that nasally tubescreamer tone ?

i thought u wanted an SRV tone. his tone isn't nasally tubescreamer tone imo. do u think the texas flood album has nasally tubescreamer tone?
Quote by The red Strat.
i hate high volumes and my parents even more so that not an option

i understand. my parents are the same.
Quote by The red Strat.
yeah but even with an attenuator, i'd still need a pedal that gives me his nasally tone, and i don't think bass-trbele boosters do that...

attenuators bring down the volume. bass-treble boosters push the tubes harder. brings you the tube crunch. way better than the solid state tubescreamer tone.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Page 1 of 3