Hi folks... Ok, so I'm having issues working on my sweep picking. So I need to borrow your brain for a minute. What's the most effective way of practicing sweeping a new arpeggio?

I can sweep a standard minor arpeggio (ex. Am: A-C-E-A-C-E-A and down again over five strings on the 12th-17th frets). I can also do little three string sweeps (such as Johnny B. Goode or the first lead part in Fade to Black) with little difficulty. But I've been trying to learn a five string major arpeggio (looks like root position C-maj chord) for many years now and every time I come back to it, I just don't seem to be improving. I can sweep it down, but I have never been able to sweep it up.

Any ideas on how I should practice this?
Go slower! It's a common mistake that people rush things and speed up way above their actual comfort zone. Try to slow it down a lot, and just use your foot as a metronome at a very low bpm, say 60bpm.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
keep it slow, when you feel comfortable move up by a few bpm on your metronome and practice different shapes also.
Thanks folks... I've tried it as slow as can be, with an without a metronome, etc etc... I'm sure there's something I'm doing wrong since I don't even have this problem with other arpeggios... anyone else ever have an issue like this that they've worked around?
How many notes @ 60bpm should you play in between clicks when practicing slow? I ususally do my whole down sweep on the first click then the upstroke on the second click @ 60bpm.
To live is to Die...
What I usually do is sub-divide the beat by 8th notes (2npb), triplets (3npb), 16th notes (4npb), and 16th note triplets (6npb), and I tap my foot to get a good sense of timing. I recommend using other sub-divisions as well, like 5, 7, 9, etc.
Last edited by Gilbucci at Sep 29, 2007,
Quote by jparks
How many notes @ 60bpm should you play in between clicks when practicing slow? I ususally do my whole down sweep on the first click then the upstroke on the second click @ 60bpm.

If you're going slow 1-3