i have only owned ibanez,jackson and carvin guitars.i have picked up the epiphone sg g-400. i am curious about the difference in tonal quality and playability of the les pauls versus the sg's.has anyone here spent a good amount of time between these two instruements,if so could you give a detailed comparison between the two?thanks
There are a lot of threads on this subject so you may get better answers using the UG search bar. The main difference in sound is SG's are more upper midrange and treble, LP's have a little more punchy lower end. After everyone posts on this thread you may be more confused than you are now, cause everyone has a preference. If you can get posts that just address differences and not preference you will be lucky. Cheer.
The sg is easier to play up high on the neck and is a much lighter guitar then the les paul.
Also the sg is also alot brighter sounding. I think when the sg was introduced it was intoduced as a new version of the les paul (dont quote me on that though)

- the les paul is darker/deeper sounding, heavier and plays a lil diff then the sg

There both amazing guitars but i prefer the sg for live situations and the les paul for recording
Guitars- Gibson SG Stanadard (stock)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom Emg 81/85

Amp- Marshall Jcm 2000 DSL/1960 Lead Cab

Pedals- Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, Boss NS-2, Line 6 DL-4, Boss Ph-3, Boss GE-7
I love my sg. Im definately a huge angus fan. The guitar does have a lot of treble, and sounds brighter, and like everyone else said LP's are definately a lot warmer.

Also just wanted to say that the original SG's were called les pauls...

But there are actually some videos on youtube, where people compare the sg sound to a LP with the exact same amp and settings, interesting if you wanna take a look
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
thanks to you both so far.let me see if i get your terminology right you are saying les pauls are thicker,but the sg's punch through a mix better with it having more emphasis on the high ranges?and and the sg is easier to solo higher up on the neck so better for leads?how are the necks in comparison?are they the same necks or different?is it the cutaway that makes it easier or the actual neck?etc etc i am thinking of getting rid of this epi sg for a slightly more high end epi les paul and if not for a more high end sg so am trying to find what thier differences really are any more info you have would be useful
icanseeyou thanks i will search that it would be most helpful i just wish i could afford a gibson version oh well
Ummmmm. You have a Carvin? What are you looking at Epiphones/Gibsons for?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
i dont own the carvin anymore i sold it so i could get my daughter everything she wanted for xmas a year ago sucks but yeah would love another carvin when i get a grand to spend again

so is it safe to say that the sg has better note definition but the paul more sustain?
Last edited by sidereal9 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by Adelaide
The sg is easier to play up high on the neck and is a much lighter guitar then the les paul.
Also the sg is also alot brighter sounding. I think when the sg was introduced it was intoduced as a new version of the les paul (dont quote me on that though)

- the les paul is darker/deeper sounding, heavier and plays a lil diff then the sg

There both amazing guitars but i prefer the sg for live situations and the les paul for recording

Yep, thats pretty much all you need to know.
It all boils down to personal preference, sounds can be changed by the amp aswell.
ok also i think i may return the epiphone sg g-400 i have for the epiphone limited edition version which is 100 dollars more have any of you tried them both to see if the 100 extra is worth it?
ok sorry
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?full_sku=102676350

the limited and this next one is the one i have

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_epiphone_g400_sg_electric_guitar?full_sku=100042754

it seems like just the pickguard and the finish if that is all and it is the same quality buildwise and pickups,electronic etc i wont spend 100 extra on it
Quote by sidereal9
i dont own the carvin anymore i sold it so i could get my daughter everything she wanted for xmas a year ago sucks but yeah.

You must be a very good dad to be able to do that

and.. the differences appear to be.
Finish
Pickguard.

Do you think it's worth it?

It'll be exactly the same as yours, with a bit more finish and a full pickguard.
yea the full list i sold for her was a carvin,6oo dollar jackson dinky,crate amp forget which combo 2 mics and a djembe oh and a mixing board so yea i wasnt to thrilled on xmas day but she was so oh well

yea 100 dollars for that doesnt seem worth it to me
Quote by sidereal9
yea the full list i sold for her was a carvin,6oo dollar jackson dinky,crate amp forget which combo 2 mics and a djembe oh and a mixing board so yea i wasnt to thrilled on xmas day but she was so oh well

yea 100 dollars for that doesnt seem worth it to me

good dad,

yeah, i bet the finish isn't actually changed that much, and if you really wanted to, you could change the pickguard yourself
yeah thats what i am thinking sucks having so little to spend on a guitar after having a few really good ones the crappier ones really show like the ibanez gio i had lol not to bad but not to good either if i wanted to i could change finish and pickuard but i like the half pickguard if i keep it i may change the finish mine is the black one

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_arc300dvs_electric_guitar?full_sku=517968%2e297

lets add this to the equation i could alsi buy this,,better or worse than what i have?if you have played it or just have any thoughts on it in general