i have to change the humbucker in my jaguar...im thinking:

DiMarzio Super Distortion or SD EVH custom

What do you reckon? im playing through a marshall dsl 2000 100 watts w/4x12.

the primay goal of the pickup change is to just rock until the balls fall off. im in a post hardcore band but there are many styles we aggregate.

anyone got any advice?

cheers.
Super Distortion. The SD '78 (Thats the proper name for it now btw) is very good, but its an extremely expensive bugger. You could put two DiMarzios in your Jaguar for the price of one '78. The '78 is more for your hard rock and rock, like Van Halen (go figure), AC/DC, Aerosmith, etc. The Super Distortion is much more "in your face" and has nearly double the output of the '78. For what you're playing the Super distortion would be a good choice.
i can afford the SD 78 - i love the early van halen tone...still thionk the super'd be btter for balls out rock?
Quote by russman187
i can afford the SD 78 - i love the early van halen tone...still thionk the super'd be btter for balls out rock?

There is no EVH pickup. The EVH (Evenly Voiced Harmonics) became the '78 if I what I read is correct, and they were always custom. Are you thinking of the Duncan Custom 5? It is based on the (now proven to be incorrect) rumor that Eddie combined magnets from two of his pickups. It is a standard production pickup. some people say it gets close to the EVH sound, hence why it is sometimes mistakenly called the EVH. And even though I think the Super D. would be better. Might want to look into a Duncan JB though, that is a pretty similar pickup to the Super D.
Quote by CJRocker
There is no EVH pickup. The EVH (Evenly Voiced Harmonics) became the '78 if I what I read is correct, and they were always custom. Are you thinking of the Duncan Custom 5? It is based on the (now proven to be incorrect) rumor that Eddie combined magnets from two of his pickups. It is a standard production pickup. some people say it gets close to the EVH sound, hence why it is sometimes mistakenly called the EVH. And even though I think the Super D. would be better. Might want to look into a Duncan JB though, that is a pretty similar pickup to the Super D.

There's a special Eddie Van Halen wind available from the custom shop.
Quote by Ngawtfizjuice
There's a special Eddie Van Halen wind available from the custom shop.

Then do explain why its not under Artist Signature Pickups? He is also not in their Artist Database.
Quote by CJRocker
Then do explain why its not under Artist Signature Pickups? He is also not in their Artist Database.

You have to call and ask for it specifically. Eddie never agreed on letting Seymour sell his pickup "forumla." So they don't advertise it. If you don't believe me, call the custom shop up yourself.
Quote by russman187
so saying that is the pickup sick or what for rock n roll?

The sick pickup for EVH tone is from Mojave Amp Works. Listen to the Peacemaker & Scorpion sound clips on the Mojave web site, & see if you've ever heard a better duplication of the old EVH tone (the Mojave amps help a lot too!). I have a Mojave pickup in a faded Gibson Flying V, & it has the best response & dynamics of any pickup I've ever tried (it's wired to be slightly hotter PAF-style, around 8.5K ohms, I believe). I've never tried the Van Halen SD custom wound pickup, but I know Duncan will make it for you if you order it as stated above. It is kind of an "under the radar" item. It's supposed to be pretty accurate.
To TS-I would agree w/ CJRocker that the Super Distortion would be a more "in your face" type of aggressive sound, but w/ a DSL, the PAF-style may give you better/clearer voicing & articulation.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
The 78 model IS the Van Halen sig pickup, it just turned out that it was never released under that name...the Evenly Voiced Harmonics is just a major hint as to who the pickup was originally designed for,
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
The 78 model IS the Van Halen sig pickup, it just turned out that it was never released under that name...the Evenly Voiced Harmonics is just a major hint as to who the pickup was originally designed for,

When I spoke to the Duncan reps at the winter NAMM show in January, they said the 78 was indeed the Van Halen model pickup, but they also said they had a custom-wound Van Halen type pickup also if you wanted it, AND you had to ask for the 78, as it was not listed in their brochures or web site. When the Evenly Voiced Harmonics model came out, I never really knew if it was the same 78 or another custom-wound version. I'm not sure their sales people even really know exactly what's going on!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by riffhog
When I spoke to the Duncan reps at the winter NAMM show in January, they said the 78 was indeed the Van Halen model pickup, but they also said they had a custom-wound Van Halen type pickup also if you wanted it, AND you had to ask for the 78, as it was not listed in their brochures or web site. When the Evenly Voiced Harmonics model came out, I never really knew if it was the same 78 or another custom-wound version. I'm not sure their sales people even really know exactly what's going on!

Thanks for clearing that up. By the way, Seymour Duncan apparently made the pickup in the Franky replicas, and they are supposedly custom made to exactly replicate the original Gibson PAF in his Franky atm. Crazy they don't have a contract with him when they made the pickup in his freaking $25,000 guitar.