im thinking about getting good at bass and auditioning for an orchestra. ive been told by my friends that i could play a 6 string bass instead of upright bass. i dont have either of those. which one should i get?
upright all the way, they are major badass
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Why would you use a 6 string for an orchestra? Your friends are playing with you, get an upright!
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright upright.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But go for the upright, providing you know how to play one.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
Well, let's split the difference here. What kind of orchestra is this? If it's an electric Jazz thing, IMO a staple of electric Jazz is a 6-string bass (like John Patittucci). Sure, there are plenty of players in the Jazz arena that use and only need 4, but in Jazz, the 6 strings really come in handy (since we know, assuming there's a low B, the number of strings is near irrelevant at the end of the day). If it's trad Jazz, it's hard not to recommend the upright. If it's a proper classical orchestra, same deal - however, a 6-string would definitely make your life easier as uprights are hard to amplify, play, transport, do anything with.

If you plan on being a soloist, look into the 6-banger. If you plan on doing a lot of walking (bass-wise, DEFINITELY not foot-wise), get the upright. You're not going to walk with the high C anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Upright Bass and Bass guitar are to entirely different instruments, the upright is more traditional whereas the Bass Guitar is much more versatile in so many ways.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
You're friends are either dumb or bull****ting you. I have played in orchestra for a little over six or so years now. You would most likely never use an electric. My middle school orchestra was a little odd and the teacher did let us play electric 4strings. But still you will pretty much only use an upright in orchestra.
Quote by -February-Star-
Real bassists know about different techniques and are aware of the merits and applications of each.

Because we're the least ignorant, most hardworking and most talented musicians in the world. We also surpass all others in general awesomeness.
Quote by John Swift
Upright Bass and Bass guitar are to entirely different instruments, the upright is more traditional whereas the Bass Guitar is much more versatile in so many ways.

Yep, it sure is versatile. Not versatile enough for NSG, but it's still versatile.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..

I just had this vision of this orchestra with a guy slap'n and pop'n on a 6 string.
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
holy ****, thats not even a worthy question, upright hands down. What a great instrument to learn how to play. really different beast from a normal bass too.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by epy
holy ****, thats not even a worthy question, upright hands down. What a great instrument to learn how to play. really different beast from a normal bass too.

Shush. Any question is a worthy question, for a new bassist or an experienced one. Asking questions is rewarded with knowledge.
Quote by epy

What do you call a normal Bass? most traditional musicians would call the upright a normal bass.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by myself101

I just had this vision of this orchestra with a guy slap'n and pop'n on a 6 string.

In most cases it's not what instrumentm you play it's how you play it, I've played Bass guitar in Traditional Jazz bands, Big Dance Bands (Miller, Dorsey, Basie etc) modern Jazz as well as a wide range of Guitar orientated bands.
Bass Guitar and Upright Bass are groove instruments, finding the groove is what counts.
G&L L2500
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
300 watt 15" powered cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn