I have a Fender Pro Jnr. (15w, type A valve combo) and was wondering what type of cab to connect it to.
I like the fatness of the cleans and the punchy low mids/bass distortion sound of a 1x15 or 2x15 cab.
I do however also like the sparky/glassy sound, and the traditional cruch of 12 inch speakers, ie a 2x12 or 4x12 cab.
What do you guys prefer or use, and what speakers could i get for around 400-500 USD?
And plunged the long blade through the masking tape, through the cushoning and *splat* right through the center of Waldo Jeffers head, which split slightly, causing little rythmic arcs of red to pulsate gently in the morning sun.
2x12

15 inch speakers take away from the mids and high too much. great for bass guitar but they are too limited in what they can reproduce.
Have you ever used a 15 inch cab ashdownlover? i play rythem guitar, with a sorta deep neil young type, or fuzz sound. I used to hook my other SS amp up to a bass cab, sounded lovely. thanks for your view though, any idea of what make 12" speakers?
And plunged the long blade through the masking tape, through the cushoning and *splat* right through the center of Waldo Jeffers head, which split slightly, causing little rythmic arcs of red to pulsate gently in the morning sun.
Quote by Icarus Lives
I wouldn't recommend the 15s. There's a good reason nearly everyone uses 12s. It's the best sized speaker for guitar.

well, ZZ top, SRV, Gongs guitarest all used 15" speakers, and they had pretty good tone? Thats why i was considering it
The best speakers I ever had were the two 15's I had in my Fender Dual Showman. I got plenty of treble, and they were the punchiest speakers I have ever heard. If I get the chance I would get another 15" cab in a heartbeat. Have you thought about combining a 12" with a 15"?
Quote by uldhppi
Have you thought about combining a 12" with a 15"?

Wow, i never thought of that, and since i would make the cab case anyway it wouldnt be difficult. hmmm... this has given me good ideas, maybe 2 12"s and 2 15"s?
15"ers can deliver just as much treble as smaller speakers; more than you'd want anyway.
Randall makes a cab that has two 12's and a fifteen.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
id rather buy the speakers and make a cab myself then pay the mark-up that Randall or Marshall etc will charge, 1000$ seems a bit excessive for less then 300$ worth of speakers.
Quote by smashngrab1991
id rather buy the speakers and make a cab myself then pay the mark-up that Randall or Marshall etc will charge, 1000$ seems a bit excessive for less then 300$ worth of speakers.

I'm building a cab atm, and I can tell you cabs are expensive to make; an empty cab can often cost as much as the speakers do- and that's only material cost.

I'm making a 2x12 which will end up costing +/- 300-350 Euros, and that's with pretty cheap speaker.
While im here, what is better for a cab? Ply, softwood, or hardwood? i can get enough mahogany for a cab for like 40$ if i need to. Raw materials are cheep where i live.
Use a good grade of plywood. The differences between it and pine/hardwood are absolutely negligible of you're playing higher than low recording volumes.