Right, this might be quite long and im hoping for some mature responses please and advice on what to do (especially if you have done what im thinking of doing).

So i'm thinking of dropping college, im in my second year of a-levels doing ICT, MEDIA and BUSINESS. For my first year i acheived an A in BUSINESS, B grade in MEDIA and a C in ICT. Pretty good, considering i didnt revise.

But, im bored of college. I have plenty of friends and i enjoy the social aspect of it, but the lessons bore me, i cant focus and i cant seem to take anything in because im just bored of laerning it all (bored isnt really the right word, and it might come accross like im being quite selfish or childish or soemthing but im not lol).

The subjects dont interrest me, and i was only really staying on because i didnt want to work yet. My parents are always pressuring me to go to Uni, but i dont think i have what it takes. Im already behind this year and i cant hack it, the ICT C/W is HUGE, there were example projects from previous years and some were 200 pages!! I dont deserve the AS grade i acheived in any subjects really because i never put much effort in. Theres more to say but im trying to keep this as short as possible

So im thinking i might drop college, and get a job. What do you think? Im starting to feel like i need to get out into the real world and get experience and such, if i get a job i can buy a car and get more independance, get more musical gear and move out eventually.

****, my brother just enterred the room so i lost my train of thought

so i have a few questions for people that might have dropped out of college...

1. What sort of jobs would i be looking at, coming out of education with only AS qualifications?

2.a) Is it possible to come back to college later on if i do feel i need the qualifications?

2.b) At what age does it stop being free? (because i know people that failed their first year and so repeated that and then do there A2 so techincally they are at college for 3 years for free)

3. Should i do it? lol, im really strongly considering it i just need some guidance really. I need to know that this wont be a mistake.

Thanks

Last edited by TheHereAway at Sep 26, 2007,
don't drop out; perseverance will pay off in the end. If you can pass without concentrating etc. think what you can do if you knuckle down; if you fail, then you gave it a shot, which is more than you could say if you dropped out
Quote by joeymaxx
I wouldn't drop out, you'll have wasted nearly two years of your life.
school's boring, period.

nah cause i got my AS-levels, so i didnt waste the first year. I feel like i'll waste this one if i do stay on though cause im just not interrested so there isnt going to be much effort, we are 3 weeks in and i havnt even been to half of my lessons i'll come out with crap grades and that would be a waste.
follow your heart. if you can't think of a career yet, i'd stay in school for the time being though.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
hmmmm i feel like you do.

crap isnt it lol

well i think its 20 that you have to start paying.

And i looked into and there isnt much you can do without Alevels, you can do a hell of alot more if you get them, even if they are crap grades.

You dont have to go to uni, just do the Alevels, stick it out, its only a year, you'll be free soon enough.

Think about it, dropping out and having fun, or being bored for a year BUT earning a hell of alot more money every year for the rest of your life ?
Dont Drop Out!!

God Dont People Learn This?!??

Just Because Your Idols Dropped Out That Doesnt Mean You Have To!!

Please The Time Has Come For A Generation Of Bands That Arnt Stoned And Illiterate
Fender Stratocaster,Yamaha ERG 121 and 5 other random low budget acoustics
You could start again if you wanted, because you got your AS. However, they're always changing schemes and are expecting current knowledge you know fresh to you. You could, however, move onto a BTECH now. Because you're 17, you can start it now, and have both years free. Start next, you'll have to pay for it because your 18.

Or, why not switch something like IT in for something you might like doing?

Whatever you do in the future, a full A level would look awesome, which is worth considering. BTECH's aren't as bad as A Level kids take it out to be.
Quote by saad_nirvana
Dont Drop Out!!

Please The Time Has Come For A Generation Of Bands That Arnt Stoned And Illiterate

You obviously don't know the British education system.
DONT DO IT!!! A levels are the minimum most employers you will be thinking about look for, and even then you have to fall on your feet. My girlfriend dropped out with only AS levels and she has been bumming around pretty much ever since...it is NOT a good idea. You won't get the jobs you think you deserve because you dont have A levels.

Life is hard, and often boring, get used to it!

And no, you ARE being childish and juvenile...

"Life is too difficult, ive got to get my coursework done"

"Im behind on my coursework cause i partyed too much" - BOO F**king HOO...your fault, get over it!

If you find life difficult, wait till you get a family and bills to pay... Can't quit then...

So in short... NO, it is NOT a good idea
Quote by TheHereAway
nah cause i got my AS-levels, so i didnt waste the first year. I feel like i'll waste this one if i do stay on though cause im just not interrested so there isnt going to be much effort, we are 3 weeks in and i havnt even been to half of my lessons i'll come out with crap grades and that would be a waste.

It'll be better than any grade you get if you drop out. I'm not sure where AS-levels stand in terms of the Scottish educational system (standard grades/Intermediates/highers/Advanced Highers) but I'd guess they're on a par with a high level Intermediate/low-mid level higher. Stick in; you'll thank yourself for the choices you leave yourself with afterwards
if i were you i wouldnt drop out. i gotta assume that Alevels is like an associates degree or something...... thats what we would call it int eh states i think

as for what kind of job you can get with AS, i think thats liek a HS diploma? so the best you can prolly get is a job in like manufacturing or hard labor like that.

if you do decide to drop out - which i do not recommend, there are some companies that may pay for you to go back to school or get some classes so that you can move up in teh company. im hoping after i get my BS in civil engineering this year that the company i work for will send me back full ride to get my masters. but thats after like a few years with the company probably.

so the short of it, is stay in school so that you can get a better job. if you need the money now, get a PT job, esp one with very little responsibility so you can do you homework while your at work. and as for the 200-page projects, don't worry about them. stuff like that, the profs will help you out on. its not as daunting a task as it seeems. trust me - im doing one this year.
Quote by Dimebag22
This might just be the smartest guy in The Pit. I didn't believe Ethan when he told me there were smart people in The Pit But I was wrong.

yeah, thats me

member 42 of the Iron Maiden are gods club. PM revelations to join
Quote by saad_nirvana
Dont Drop Out!!

Coming from a nirvana fanboy!?
Quote by Nick_porter333
DONT DO IT!!! A levels are the minimum most employers you will be thinking about look for, and even then you have to fall on your feet. My girlfriend dropped out with only AS levels and she has been bumming around pretty much ever since...it is NOT a good idea. You won't get the jobs you think you deserve because you dont have A levels.

Life is hard, and often boring, get used to it!

And no, you ARE being childish and juvenile...

"Life is too difficult, ive got to get my coursework done"

"Im behind on my coursework cause i partyed too much" - BOO F**king HOO...your fault, get over it!

If you find life difficult, wait till you get a family and bills to pay... Can't quit then...

So in short... NO, it is NOT a good idea

actually i dont party much. i've hit some depression the last 4 months so i dont enjoy doing any of that at the moment.

i had a load of stuff typed out but for some reason everytime i press the SUBMIT REPLY button it freezes so here goes again...

"hmmm, i suppose you guys are right. and ill be more lost if i do drop out, atleast at the moment i have some direction?

would employers not care for just AS levels then? do they only look for A2?

also my dad came out of education with only like 4 O-Levels (equivilent to our GCSE i think, dont quote me on that), and he was really successful, he is retired now but he had a 6 figure income. so that makes me think that i can always work my way up?"

that was pretty much what i tried to reply with..

oh and to the guy that said "dont drop out just cause ur idols do it" ... if anyone did that they would be quite pathetic.

this is the 4th time ive tried to post a reply god dammit it wont work..but i think ill stay in
Your Dad, like my Dad who did the same thing was very very lucky... A2 is pretty much the minimum unless u wana look at working hard labour in a factory or in McDonalds full time...

And yes, people have dropped out and done very well (e.g Richard Branson) but those people are exceptionally switched on people (im not saying you arent, but they are in a tiny minority) and you can't just assume that will happen, it will take a hell of alot of hard work and dedication (something that your willingness to drop out would suggest against...)

If you had a firm job offer with prospects then i would say go for it... but if not, complete A2 and give it everything you got, cause believe me, you only get one shot at your education proper and, unlike me, make the most of it...

[and no, employers think VERY little of AS's because all they are is the government a few years ago tried to assess A level students halfway thru... the problem with that being employers are also faced with people who had the full A level and nothing else...so the employers expect a full A level because it then evens the playing field... (if you see what i mean)]
^ I agree.

See, I would finish, THEN get a job.

It's just like that dude. There's A LOT more money to be made after college. A LOT MORE INDEPENDANCE as well.

I'm in college, and actually I was a HighSchool dropout...drugs and skipping aren't good. I'm not saying I became a born-again christian...nothing like that. But when I dropped out, I had to work...and if you want to make more than 6 dollars an hour, you'll have to work tough jobs, like I did.

I worked in construction for 1 year. IT sucked. I had to work Monday through Saturday, and sometimes they'll call me to work on Sundays. I made 10 dollars an hour. Which is not a lot considering I was living by myself, and well considering also that the job didn't pay.

That was an experience, and well I hope I was helpful.
Member of the Grammar Nazi Club. PM Your41Plague12 to Join.

Member #6 of the Orange Tiny Terror Club
Quote by Nick_porter333
Your Dad, like my Dad who did the same thing was very very lucky... A2 is pretty much the minimum unless u wana look at working hard labour in a factory or in McDonalds full time...

And yes, people have dropped out and done very well (e.g Richard Branson) but those people are exceptionally switched on people (im not saying you arent, but they are in a tiny minority) and you can't just assume that will happen, it will take a hell of alot of hard work and dedication (something that your willingness to drop out would suggest against...)

If you had a firm job offer with prospects then i would say go for it... but if not, complete A2 and give it everything you got, cause believe me, you only get one shot at your education proper and, unlike me, make the most of it...

[and no, employers think VERY little of AS's because all they are is the government a few years ago tried to assess A level students halfway thru... the problem with that being employers are also faced with people who had the full A level and nothing else...so the employers expect a full A level because it then evens the playing field... (if you see what i mean)]

thanks for the post

argh im going to have to stay then. i dont even want to be working a ****ty job the rest of my life and be some statistic i want some ****ing escape dammit. life sucks so much all im going to be doing is sat in an office working at a computer all day and make enough money so that when im 70 (woo ) ill be able to enjoy it! i cant wait to spend my hard earned money on adult diapers and day nurses! **** yea!!!!

lol...i wish pipe dreams would come true

thanks for everyone that posted
Quote by TheHereAway
nah cause i got my AS-levels, so i didnt waste the first year.

AS Levels mean absolutely nothing. It's basically the same as running 13 miles in the marathon and dropping out. If you didn't go the full stretch, no one's going to care.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by TheHereAway
actually i dont party much. i've hit some depression the last 4 months so i dont enjoy doing any of that at the moment.

i had a load of stuff typed out but for some reason everytime i press the SUBMIT REPLY button it freezes so here goes again...

"hmmm, i suppose you guys are right. and ill be more lost if i do drop out, atleast at the moment i have some direction?

would employers not care for just AS levels then? do they only look for A2?

also my dad came out of education with only like 4 O-Levels (equivilent to our GCSE i think, dont quote me on that), and he was really successful, he is retired now but he had a 6 figure income. so that makes me think that i can always work my way up?"

that was pretty much what i tried to reply with..

oh and to the guy that said "dont drop out just cause ur idols do it" ... if anyone did that they would be quite pathetic.

this is the 4th time ive tried to post a reply god dammit it wont work..but i think ill stay in

but you'll have a head start with A2 levels and it'll be a hell of alot easier. dont just hope things will happen for you. I mean i still have all this to come, i'm only in my last year of school. college next year
dude think about the guitar gear u could buy if u drop out and start working tomorrow!!

Youd be crazy not too..
To live is to Die...
Stay in for your full term of the college education. You can end up doing something for three times the amount of what you would make without it.
Quote by ShaunDiel
Listen to this man. His 2 ideas in five minutes have shat all over your serious ideas.