Hi, I'd like to know which scale(s) can be used to give a song or solo a medieval type of feeling, like some power metal or symphonic metal bands do. Can anyone please release me from my ignorance in this subject? Thanks in advance!
Harmonic Minor?
"That was it, a nick. Now happily paid for. [...] It was decided that it was so far away in time and influence that...well, you only get caught when you're successful. That's the game". Robert Plant
Quote by browar
Harmonic Minor?

Yes.
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Quote by browar
Harmonic Minor?

or melodic minor
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
+1 Harmonic minor, i just love 'em
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
Eh, when you say medieval I'm reminded of the music from the "AoE II" games. Aaah those good ol' times ...
Anyhow, Harmonic Minor is the way to go.
Quote by buckethead_jr
I didn't think they had metal in the 1790's

Quote by Guitarislife125
Copper is a metal

Quote by buckethead_jr
Ah, touche.
Harmonic Minor always sounds spanish to me. Oh well, have to work on my phrasing.
My Gear:
Epiphone LP Black Beauty (2007)| Washburn WM24K (2008)| Ibanez Iceman IC300 (2003)| Ibanez GRX40 (2004) w Gold Lace Sensors| Roland Microcube| Marshall G10MK.II Amp| Zoom G2.1u| BOSS Metal Zone

Yes, I am a simple guy.
Quote by BassTalk
Eh, when you say medieval I'm reminded of the music from the "AoE II" games. Aaah those good ol' times ...

Man, I loved that game, I wish I could play it...
harmonic minor??
it seems more exotic like to me than medieval.
anyways threadstarter, power metal bands use a ton of harmonic minor.
Just the plain old major scale often works pretty well for medieval sounding stuff.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Just the plain old major scale often works pretty well for medieval sounding stuff.

+1, the major scale was the first thing thet poped into my head... And i don't think they had the harmonic minor back in medieval days?
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

When someone mentions medieval I think of stuff like "Greensleeves" which is pure majorness.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
I was thinking just modal scales. Mixolydian and Lydian especially.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
i'd never use a scale with a harmonic 7th for a medieval sound, just keep the 7th a minor 7th, and do what you want with the rest of em (i also suggest a minor 3rd) dorian's most used, and even natural minor does better than you might think..

anyway, the octave is your best friend in
1953 Epiphone zephyr
1988 PRS custom 24
1960 Moon oct. mandolin
Quote by Peanut1614
+1, the major scale was the first thing thet poped into my head... And i don't think they had the harmonic minor back in medieval days?

Toccatta en Fuge in Dm by Bach is actually in D harmonic minor. Anyway, I used to have a problem with not having everything i played in harmonic minor sound like Ravi Shankar, or some gypsy man, but you really have to just use the scale for a while and find inventive ways to approach it.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
Toccatta en Fuge in Dm by Bach is actually in D harmonic minor. Anyway, I used to have a problem with not having everything i played in harmonic minor sound like Ravi Shankar, or some gypsy man, but you really have to just use the scale for a while and find inventive ways to approach it.

thats wasnt written in medieval times though...
Quote by cakemonster91

*chuckle* A peanut. With a face.

Go to your staff paper and re-write this song a half step down so on the paper it'll be like you have a "C" just move it down to a "B#"

Know your theory, then play like you don't.

Not harmonic minor or melodic minor. Both those scale are way too dissonant.

The medieval ages was about consonance, alot of consonance. Minor thirds were even considered too dissonant.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
depends on how medieaval a feeling you want

purist mediaeval would involve playing all your scales and solos in perfect fourths/fifths
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
depends on how medieaval a feeling you want

purist mediaeval would involve playing all your scales and solos in perfect fourths/fifths
Yes, but not so much perfect fifths. Perfect fifths was what they would play when a scary, powerfull person was about to enter, so perfect fifths caused people to "stand to attention" in fear.

Perfect fourths is right too. For some reason they were very consonant in the medieval ages, but now they are regularily called dissonant.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.
I don't know much about most stuff mentioned, but I would have to agree that harmonic minor is much more Spanish to me.
Depends what you mean by medieval really.

Harmonic Minor can produce classical, Arabic and Spanish sounds
Natural Minor and Major can produce very basic, ye-olde-tune style melodies.
Modal stuff can be very medieval, in terms of ACTUAL medieval sounds.

I think harmonies (the perfect 4ths and 5ths mentioned above) are probably your biggest friend though.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by BassTalk

I played that game for five years as a lad and never got sick of it. Now I want to play it again. It did have some of the most beautiful music ever.

Back on topic, It's not neccesarily so much what scale you use as to what context you use it in. Of course the harmonic minor scale is not going to sound Medival if you shred through it at lightspeed, but if accompanied properly, it should sound allright. Look Up some rennaisance classical guitar pieces and get Ideas from there.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists
I've got nothing to input but this is something I'd like to know aswell. Espesially now that I'm starting to learn some proper theory for once.
They acually banned the use of the tritone. It was considered the Devil's interval because it was so dissonant.

I think natural minor sounds very medieval when used properly.