Page 1 of 2
what is the origin of the word pwn? it doesnt really make any sense, and im pretty sure its not an acronym. my best guess is that its such a repeated typo for "owned" that it actually became internet slang! what are ur thoughs ug.
well this'll get closed really soon

to answer the question i believe it originates from accidentally hitting the "p" key which is next to the "o" key when typing "own" quickly during online games. I'm pretty sure there's been a thread on internet words before, but I won't be a dick and tell you to use the search bar, because any idiot knows to do that.
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Last edited by mister389 at Sep 26, 2007,
You're exactly right, it spawned from a frequent typing error. I believe it was actually a typing error that was coded into a game and never corrected, so the message would read 'Player1 was pwned'. It just caught on, I guess.

Also, notice how the 'p' and 'o' are right next to one another.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
yeah, mostly counterstriker's gotta type quick or you'll get shot.
P and O are close to each other.
The way to a girls heart is through her ribcage
to answer the question i believe it originates from accidentally hitting the "p" key which is next to the "o" key when typing "own" quickly during online games. I'm pretty sure there's been a thread on internet words before, but I won't be a dick and tell you to use the search bar, because any idiot knows to do that.

You're exactly right, it spawned from a frequent typing error. I believe it was actually a typing error that was coded into a game and never corrected, so the message would read 'Player1 was pwned'. It just caught on, I guess.

Also, notice how the 'p' and 'o' are right next to one another.

This is why i guessed it was a typo. btw pwnd > owned...... just sounds cooler. hehe
yeah some typo. even though you could have found this out on a number of sites :P haha
Schecter lover
oooooooooof
also a girl
It originated from World Of Warcraft, it was accidently put in the game pwned instead os Owned, so when you killed someone else it would say

Player 1 Pwned Player 2
The REAL problem is...

Where did "own" come from?

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

People usually bring up one of two sources, the true source isn't really know for sure:

1) Typo in Warcraft as listed above (oldschool warcraft)
2) A famous Quake 3 player accidently typed it in a comp and people started picking it up from there.
Last edited by krims0n at Sep 26, 2007,
It originated from World Of Warcraft
No, it was around before WOW was out, I'm sure.
Quote by AthenasGhost
It originated from World Of Warcraft, it was accidently put in the game pwned instead os Owned, so when you killed someone else it would say

Player 1 Pwned Player 2

no man it's way before WOW, people have been saying it in WCIII Frozen Throne for a good 3 years.
The first Ive heard of it were early counterstrike days and Unreal Tournament
To live is to Die...
I've always heard Counter Strike. But I've never played the game, so I wouldn't know.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Misspelling just like the !!one!!eleven!!!!1111!!!
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Quote by p.stick
The REAL problem is...

Where did "own" come from?

You sir, win a many free internets.
I got some good guitars, yo.
[quote="'[X"]']pwn'd for not knowing sarcasm

Sorry, my interwebs sarcasm plugin isn't working. It's hard to tell when someone is sarcastic on a forum.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Quote by ctb
Isn't "Owned" from Mortal Kombat?

No, that was Toasty.

Which in turn came from the dev team yelling "You're Toast!" while doing fatalites on each other during MK1's development

And yeah, Wikipedia says it's cause so many people accidentally press p instead of o when typing fast.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
Contrary to popular beliefe it did not originate in world of warcraft. I heard it used in the early days of battlefield 1942 before wow was even in beta
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"
Quote by surmatise
Contrary to popular beliefe it did not originate in world of warcraft. I heard it used in the early days of battlefield 1942 before wow was even in beta

Since when was it popular belief that it came from WoW?

People believe it came from Warcraft. ie: The original warcraft. Circa 1994.
It originated from Diablo 2. People in the chat would discuss how they would own eachothers' clan and somebody misspelled own. After that everybody thought pwn = pown, but it is indeed pronounced own.
Quote by krims0n
Since when was it popular belief that it came from WoW?

People believe it came from Warcraft. ie: The original warcraft. Circa 1994.

From the majority of people Ive been in conversations with about it they usually think it started in WoW for whatever reason. Just stateing that I heard it well before the days of wow. I was replying to the 8th post on the first page. Think it was 8th or in that area sayd it originated in world of warcraft
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"
Last edited by surmatise at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by surmatise
From the majority of people Ive been in conversations with about it they usually think it started in WoW for whatever reason. Just stateing that I heard it well before the days of wow. I was replying to the 8th post on the first page. Think it was 8th or in that area sayd it originated in world of warcraft

Ah. I think lots of people just think the saying came from whatever game they happen to be into, or were into, and ignore that the word was used well before they ever heard it.
I think it originated from a Warcraft 2 match. The guy meant to type "owned" but got in "pwned" instead. The rest is history.

A lot of people will say that pwned = pawned, but not really.
Quote by gnrlover1
what is the origin of the word pwn? it doesnt really make any sense, and im pretty sure its not an acronym. my best guess is that its such a repeated typo for "owned" that it actually became internet slang! what are ur thoughs ug.
Coincedentally, this is how the phrase; "Nice job, Captain Obvious" began.
Page 1 of 2