When looking at "metal" pedals rather than regular "distortion" pedals is the difference just the amount of gain? Do metal pedals color your sound a bit? Am I right to assume that a regular distortion pedal will not alter your tone as much as a "metal" pedal?

Which pedal will not color my tone as much?

Micro Metal Muff
MXR M-115 Distortion III

My goal is not to get the exact metal sound, but to have as little coloration while being able to get tons of gain.
Last edited by ixelion at Sep 26, 2007,
OK but do "metal" pedals always have more gain than regular pedals, or is it just a different sounding distortion?
"metal" is just basically just a label on a distortion pedal. a marketing gimmick for those who want enough gain to get into metal territory. but i have yet to encounter any "metal" pedal that sounds great.
The best you can do for metal pedals is the Damage Control Solid Metal. Its all tube pre-amp and sounds very real and full.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
A lot of them scoop your mids automatically.

They should be called "Fly Buzzing in Wax Paper" pedals.
^ almost all of them ive seen and played have a mid control. if youre tard enough to turn it all the way down its your own fault.
Quote by TehJermie
^ almost all of them ive seen and played have a mid control. if youre tard enough to turn it all the way down its your own fault.

I confess I haven't played very many of them since metal's not really my style. The ones I have played though just had a tone knob, and no matter where it was, the sound lacked presence.