.......So how many and what scales do you know????

I know the major scale and all its modes(ionian, dorian,etc,etc).
I know the (natural) minor and all its different shapes to cover the fretboard.
I know the harmonic and melodic minor but i only know one shape for each....so is there other shapes of the melodic and harmonic that are added on to them to cover the fretboard????

And are there any other scales i'm leaving out???????
I know one. But I don't know what it's called.
Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
what about agrepegio scales, i know blues scales. minor major scales petatronic scales.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
Get the Guitar Grimoire (or Bass Grimoire for bass players) and it'll open your eyes to everything...all your scales, modes of the scales, and not just 7-note scales, but 6- and 5-note scales too. its totally enlightening.
BASSES

Yamaha RBX270L Custom Fretless
Traben Tribal Sun 5 L
Fender Custom Jazz Bass L

EFFECTS

BOSS DD-7
BOSS OC-3
BOSS RC-2
BOSS TU-2
Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver DI

AMP

Yorkville XM200 Combo
Is that a question or just boasting 'bout how many scales you know?
there are hundreds more scales Im afraid!
Do you know the scales and there chords and all that or just the positions???
Omgz All Of Dem!
Quote by david_highland
Uh oh......you just had to go and piss off danielrobbyshor, now we're all ****ed.

Quote by Grundy0
How can an orgy be 'Nazi-style'? What did he stop halfway through and incinerate a jew?
Ha.... i'm not boasting by any means i'm just wondering what scales i havent learned that are important to learn. so any help would be great.
Quote by ktk182
I know the harmonic and melodic minor but i only know one shape for each....so is there other shapes of the melodic and harmonic that are added on to them to cover the fretboard????

Learn the notes on the fretboard. You can expand those "shapes" yourself.
Quote by ktk182
.......So how many and what scales do you know????

I know the major scale and all its modes(ionian, dorian,etc,etc).
I know the (natural) minor and all its different shapes to cover the fretboard.

And are there any other scales i'm leaving out???????

There are no "shapes".

Just learn the notes on the fretboard and see how they fit in with the patterns you know. You should be able to see the pattern of intervals, and by locating other instances of the root note you can play any scale anywhere on the fretboard.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Oct 6, 2007,
You're missing a lot of stuff. But then again, so am I. But here's a list.

Ionian mode (major scale).
Dorian mode.
Phyrigian mode.
Lydian mode.
Moxilydian mode.
Aeolian mode (minor scale).
Locrian mode.
On top of these you're missing their harmonic and melodic counterparts (based on the harmonic major scale). Not to mention the altered scale, the whole tone scale, both diminished scales, hexatonics, blues, pentatonics, tetratonics...
The list is nearly infinite.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
He's also missing the entire point of scales.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
He's also missing the entire point of scales.

I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but shouldn't the point of having all these different scales be to learn them? What's wrong with knowing scales?
The point that is being missed is that scales are not a series of shapes, they are a pattern of intervals. The shapes are just a handy way of remembering where these intervals occur in a certain part of the fretboard.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Well thats all fine and good, I wouldn't think someone would just play, lets say for instance a Minor Pentatonic in one position over and over and think he's soloing or anything... at least thats not what I think or do when I play scales I know. I'm just missing where the OP said he didn't understand all of this already. What's wrong with wanting to branch out your playing by learning new scales? Thats what I try to do everyday.

...unless, OP, you are just using these scales in one shape and in one position, then that technically isnt wrong or anything, but I would listen to what everyone saying here and trying to throw those scales all over the fretboard, see what you can do with em.
Quote by ktk182
so is there other shapes of the melodic and harmonic that are added on to them to cover the fretboard????

If he understood the 'pattern of intervals' idea, he wouldn't ask this.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Fair enough, I just guess that interval pattern stuff comes naturally to me when I play, its hard for me to understand how one would go about just playing one scale and not branching out from it.
Quote by TGautier13
Fair enough, I just guess that interval pattern stuff comes naturally to me when I play, its hard for me to understand how one would go about just playing one scale and not branching out from it.

If you know the key, that's it.
Quote by TGautier13

Same for me, however we ALL spent some time learning scales as nameless dots and thinking it was teaching us something. It's only with hindsight that you realise you were wasting your time, and if you'd spent a liitle time going over the basic theory you'd have assimilated the knowledge a great deal faster.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I know by heart just the major scale.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
True, but we shouldn't downgrade the significance and importance of learning new scales. They aid you in finding new tones on the instrument as well as spicing up your play. When I first began learning scales, nothing made me more excited than finding a memorable lick. I still get that same feeling when I practice scales now (I try to go over scales every day).

Proper basic theory coupled with an understanding of scales is a must. Otherwise, scales are just like you said, nameless dots. One should first spend energy tackling the necessities of theory, before going off and trying to solo or anything.

To keep a bit on track, what are some of the more exotic or 'rare' scales people have learned?
Learning new scales is great, but it's a bit pointless if you don't actually know the one's you think you've learned. Far better to go back over the stuff you've only half-learned and make sure you understand it properly before moving on, particularly as the learning process is the same for any scale.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
Same for me, however we ALL spent some time learning scales as nameless dots and thinking it was teaching us something. It's only with hindsight that you realise you were wasting your time, and if you'd spent a liitle time going over the basic theory you'd have assimilated the knowledge a great deal faster.

I didn't. Guitar is the only instrument I know of where it's considered standard to learn such a bastardized form of theory. I learned the trumpet before I learned guitar and I knew the major scale and how it pertains to TTSTTTS a week before I started playing any instrument.
Knowing scales doesn't mean memorising scales. It means knowing that given one scale you can derive literally any other scale from that one scale.
No one dared
Quote by Me2NiK
I didn't. Guitar is the only instrument I know of where it's considered standard to learn such a bastardized form of theory. I learned the trumpet before I learned guitar and I knew the major scale and how it pertains to TTSTTTS a week before I started playing any instrument.
Knowing scales doesn't mean memorising scales. It means knowing that given one scale you can derive literally any other scale from that one scale.

You were lucky enough to come into guitar with some prior musical experience though, i don't think it's right that people learn guitar that way but it's the sad truth. Like you said, it's the only instrument that you can "play" with zero musical knowledge...for better or for worse. Obviously that only takes you so far, but if nobody's told you otherwise you can't really be blamed for it.

What really pisses me off are the "anti-theory" brigade who are arrogant enough to procalim that you don't need it. Every guitarist needs to know theory if they want to actually learn to play their instrument as opposed to being the musical equivalent of a talking parrot.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
What really pisses me off are the "anti-theory" brigade who are arrogant enough to procalim that you don't need it. Every guitarist needs to know theory if they want to actually learn to play their instrument as opposed to being the musical equivalent of a talking parrot.

I disagree. Its not necessary to go to school to learn math, science, reading, etc. By all regards its very helpful and should easily be your decision when trying to learn things, but it still isn't necessary. It's the same with music theory and well, music. You can learn to play the guitar without knowing a thing about it except you know to pluck the strings. Learning all these tones and semitones and pentatonic whatever isn't necessary. There's a reason why they call it a theory.

Arrogance does run rampant through this group of musicians, though. I think it'd be cool I guess, but I wouldn't boast about it like its some kind of achievement. I like knowing what I'm playing.
Last edited by TGautier13 at Oct 6, 2007,
I don't think it's necessary to learn theory in the conventional sense at all. But intentionally not learning theory is absolutely stupid. Those who didn't learn theory but were great regardless (Paul McCartney comes to mind) knew theory, they just didn't learn conventional theory. If you asked Paul McCartney what the Dorian mode was he'd probably be completely clueless, and yet Eleanor Rigby -- a McCartney composition whether Lennon likes it or not (and I'm a huge Lennon fan, definately moreso than McCartney) -- remains a prime example of the Dorian mode (granted Eleanor Rigby shifts between the Dorian mode and the Aeolian mode quite heavily).
No one dared
Quote by Me2NiK
you asked Paul McCartney what the Dorian mode was he'd probably be completely clueless

i agree with you, but i bet he would know.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I mainly know the movable ones....major, minor, minor pentatonic...
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
i know major, minor, harmonic minor, both pentatonics, lydian, and dorian in all keys. so 49 scales.
I know all scales noob. I invented most of them. DIE NOOB.

Eh....I know the major, minor, dorian, phrygian, lydian, mixolydian, locrian, melodic minor, harmonic minor, harmonic major, phrygian dominant, pentatonic minor (its modes sound the same) and blues.

It might seem like a lot, but fluency is another thing!