Hi.. I am in to the electric guitar for 3 months.. Before that I had a classical guitar, which I played some song with. (Knocking on heavens door and few more)
I have a cheap beginner guitar. Called Manuel Raymond.. Actually I'm happy with it..
Bu it bothers me when I tried to play something good and I can't..

I read so many threads about newbies like me. But I couldnt find a suitable one for me.(Sorry if this thread is duplicate. I tried search function really.)

Ok, I can play songs with chords if I try hard. But I can not catch the rhytm pattern of almost all of the songs. How fast I should hit the strings, what tempo should I use..

These are the basic questions.. The others are:
Solos, scales(Here is the big one!), bending, etc etc etc.

How to adept playing solos? Is alternate picking important when soloing? What is scale? Where should I use it? What is the purpose of it? Like these..

I am not a complete newbie who sees the guitar for the first time.. But I rather call myself one..

If you can help me I will be really greatful for you. An example song maybe, how to play, which tempo, which pattern..

That's all for now..
Thank you again..

(P.S: Sorry about my English.. I am trying to improve myself about it too..)
Take lessons.
I remember i was SO frustrated when i couldn't play any cool songs.
You have to start with the kiddie songs, build finger dexterity with practices from a beginner guitar book.
You'll progress faster than you think, and you won't notice it.
I've been playing guitar for like 5 months, and i own just from weekly guitar lessons.
Own meaning i can play like any song i want. =P
I'm still unsure about lessons. I love playing the guitar via self learning, because it is a massive sense of achievement when you learn something hard
2 words

guitar pro

trust me on that makes it so much easyier to learn anything
Quote by metul kult
You know when Attack Attack is ripping off your music, you're onto something

twitter: @victorstaygold
Quote by raddxprep
Own meaning i can play like any song i want. =P

Hint: Don't be cocky like this guy. You can't play "anything you want" after 5 months of playing.

I would strongly recommend getting a teacher who fits your wants and needs.
I am sorry I didn't mention. I took guitar lessons with classical guitar last year.
Learned couple of notes, finger picking and few basic things.

About taking lessons now:
I can not afford it. I have to do it by myself. And I want to. Really.
When I play an easy solo with a nice melody, I find myself in a cloud you know

That's why I have to learn.. It feels great..
Last edited by DemonGibi at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by envoykrawkwar7
2 words

guitar pro

trust me on that makes it so much easyier to learn anything

Agreed

When I first started, I got guitar pro and learnt a few power chord songs (green day, blink182 etc)

Then I just moved straight to soloing... I found doing solos much easier than chords (full ones)

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

in answer to your questions:

For practicing with chords: start at a slower tempo than the song, slow enough that you dont have to slow down even further on the harder bits. Once you can do that start to gradually pick up the tempo every time you play until you an play it at the right tempo.

Scales: These are a series of notes that go up in pitch, these are basically the building blocks for solos. For exampl to play a major scale (A C note going all the way up through other note to the next higher c u would play:

E|-----------------------------------
A|----------------------------------- (If you do not know what this is it is called
D|---------------------2--4--5----- tablature, you can learn to read this at loads of
G|----------2--3--5---------------- websites.)
B|--3--5----------------------------
E------------------------------------

There are loads of scales to use and these are the notes you an play to do a simple solo.

Bends are what they say on the tin, just when you play a note push the string to the side a bit, so that it makes a higher pitch, these are used to good effect in solos, but at the moment you probably dont need to know about these. If you need more help, watch some of the videos or read some lesson to get you stared.

Good Luck - Simple & Deadly
just keep practicing until you learn the harder songs you want to play. You'll soon figure out how fast you hit the strings and alternate pciking etc. Getting a teacher isnt necessary either - many great guitarists learn themselves - but if you do get one, makes sure its a good one, as theres nothing worse than having a bad teacher
Thank youu all again..

Another question..
What about strumming patterns?
Simple & Deadly you told about tempo, I get it but, how should I hit the strings? Does every song contains differnt pattern? Like " Down down up down" ?
Quote by DemonGibi
Thank youu all again..

Another question..
What about strumming patterns?
Simple & Deadly you told about tempo, I get it but, how should I hit the strings? Does every song contains differnt pattern? Like " Down down up down" ?

the "down-down-up-down etc etc" got me in the begining... you have to develop your ear to follow the strumming pattern...as for the lessons....you're on one of the (if not THE) bigges sites about guitars....there are some great free lessons here....also guitar pro is a great recommendation
and use google also to find any free online lessons....you say you like learning by yourself, that's great - i like it the same... but that way you could learn some of the things wrong... i'm sure you have someone in your neighbourhood who plays a guitar, or some friend of yours - take a few advices from them...
when i first picked up a guitar i wanted to play Metallica-Nothing else matters... using only one finger of my freting hand...someone told me it was wrong

good luck!
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS

I am not a complete newbie who sees the guitar for the first time.. But I rather call myself one..

QUOTE]

This is a GREAT attitude....i like to say the same for myself.....i wish some of modern rock stars,and ordinary people would feel the same.....the world would be a better place to live in.....
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS