Can I get some advice on what type of guitar is best for a beginner? I'm looking for a neck that isn't fat like the les paul. Any suggestions??????
Yamaha Pacifica all the way, ultimate starter.

(and if this 9 year old is going to be serious he is gunna be gooooooddddddddd)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
I'd have to go with the Squier Strat or a Yamaha Pacifica. DO NOT get a starter ibanez. It has Crappy build and bad pickups.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
Yeah, I've heard good stuff about the Yamaha. Seems like a safe bet.
squier's are usually decent.. the store i used to work at were selling these guitars called Vagabonds.. they were low end.. but not bottom line.. it was like $250 and they had decent harware so it couldn't go out of tune easily like a lot of starter guitars.
Yamaha strat copies ftw. I have one I can honestly say it plays better than any guitar I have played. Just needs new pickups.
For a 9 year old...

Maybe one of those mini guitars?
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
fender has a mini version of the strat

ibanez as the gio mikro

3/4 acoustics may be a bit too thick at the moment but worth a shot as well
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
Quote by Absent Mind
Yamaha Pacifica all the way, ultimate starter.

(and if this 9 year old is going to be serious he is gunna be gooooooddddddddd)

Agreed, better than Squiers - squiers are okay beginner guitars though.
I brought this up in that other thread a while back :http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Brian-May-MiniMay-Electric-Guitar?sku=512639

I've heard great things about the Yamaha. Perhaps go with that?
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Ok first of all Squiers are not THAT bad, so TS you can consider them. It will be better if he starts with a full size guitar, to avoid any problems on the future. Yes, the Yamaha is a good choice, I made a mistake and started with a Washburn. Don't get a Washburn
Yeah, a Yamaha would be a good choice in your situation.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Quote by FMNStratGuy
I'd have to go with the Squier Strat or a Yamaha Pacifica. DO NOT get a starter ibanez. It has Crappy build and bad pickups.

WRONG.

Not a crappy build. Just get a new cable with the package, it's fine.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I'm pretty sure nine year olds don't need mini guitars, unless the kid is particularly small. I started playing on a fullsize classical at 9, and it wasn't a drag at all...

Just buy an inexpensive starter pack. Every manufacturer has a below-$200 category, with anything within it probably being good enough. Just pick the one that the kid likes the most looks-wise.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by .smudged.
Ok first of all Squiers are not THAT bad, so TS you can consider them. It will be better if he starts with a full size guitar, to avoid any problems on the future. Yes, the Yamaha is a good choice, I made a mistake and started with a Washburn. Don't get a Washburn

I have a Washburn now lol.. crappy wiring, bunch of solders came off..
Has anyone actually played one of the small or half size guitars. My son who is 7 and on the small size( he can barely reach the 1st fret of my Ibanez af75) is starting lessons. All I've read about the small strats is that they dont stay in tune. A full size will be WAY to big for him. What about the mini les paul? Has anyone seen or played that one??
Does anyone make a kids size tele?? That seems like it would make the most sense being it has such a thin neck.
Any help will be appreciated/
Gear;
Ibanez AF75
Takamine EG550
Digitech gnx3
Peavey Classic 50