I heard some where ,can't remember where ,that another name for hammer-on/pull-offs are called slurs. I am wonder if this is true or not.
Lol I could make such a good post right now but I'd get banned. I've never heard them called that though.
yeah
theyre slurs...its when you blow in your horn and just finger notes without articulating them over again, eg you play a c on trumpet and move to a d, just finger it instead of tounguing it again. it works just like a hammer and pull off.
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Well, yeah, I've never heard them called slurs in connection with guitar before, but it's the same concept.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
Would calling them slurs be correct? Just so I can say it and it takes less time then hammer-on/pull-offs(yes, I am that lazy just like rest of America.)
yeah hammer offs and pull offs are slurs. Slurs is the brass/woodwind name for it tho
yep. slurs. i remember in orchestra, it's when with one bow stroke, you make other notes. same as hammer on pull of. one pick strike... multiple notes. legato has no picking at all.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Yep they're slurs, although in more metal sort of areas a slur often means a short lick of pulling off/hammer ons that is repeated
i've never heard that. i know thats called legato,but i neve heard slurs
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Nacho Cheese!
Would calling them slurs be correct? Just so I can say it and it takes less time then hammer-on/pull-offs(yes, I am that lazy just like rest of America.)

yeah but it wont make sense to most guitarist i would expect.

Quote by philipisabeast
Yep they're slurs, although in more metal sort of areas a slur often means a short lick of pulling off/hammer ons that is repeated

i think thats a trill?
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Slurs is the proper term for hammer ons and pull-offs. You don't think classical guitarists actually called them hammer ons, do you? I'm also pretty sure that slides are referred to as slurs.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
^^ Indeed ^^

Anytime in classical music its called a slur, slights and tapping are also slurs.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
Slurs are marks that indicate legato playing. A slur looks like a tie, but is often longer and spans many notes or measures.

Legato playing on the guitar implies the use of 'hammer-ons and pull-offs' so yes, slurs are another word for those. Although I'd call legato the proper word for hammer-ons and pull-offs.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Last edited by Muphin at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by hyroglyph!c
yeah
theyre slurs...its when you blow in your horn and just finger notes without articulating them over again, eg you play a c on trumpet and move to a d, just finger it instead of tounguing it again. it works just like a hammer and pull off.

I lost the game. Ass
Quote by Ylasto
R.I.P Ean.

Are there any other members of Lynyrd Skynyrd who are dead?
Quote by hyroglyph!c

i think thats a trill?

Ah yeah i was slightly confused there, but yeah a slur can sometimes be that
With guitar, you don't call hammer ons or pull offs slurs. However, with any other instrument, the equivalent of that would be a slur.
Quote by hyroglyph!c

i think thats a trill?

no, a trill is like this:

11h12p11h12p11h12