Page 1 of 2
ok so im thinkin about getting a mac.

i need moderate RAM (for recording) and thats basically my only perimeter (sp?)

but i need to know which mac to get....and how much it will cost

ps- i got to be one of the first to try out Garage Band 4.0

not much of an accomplishment

dont make fun

thanks
UG's HIPPIE
When buying a Mac here's simple rule:

"Don't buy one."

Follow that and you'll be good.
mac mini? wtf? lol

i guess recording isnt my only perimeter....i also am constantly online..but i guess they all pretty much own the web lol
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by the_maestro

"Don't buy one."

+1458573
Quote by the_maestro

"Don't buy one."

You're a fucking idiot. I bet you've hardly even used a Mac , have you?
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by the_maestro

"Don't buy one."

whats your reason for this?
i used a mac for the first time today (and it was a really lowend model) and i thought it was incredible (compared to my XP)
UG's HIPPIE
ok a mac is exactly what you need for recording.

Get either a baseline iMac, a fully upgraded Macbook, or a macbook pro
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
mac mini? wtf? lol

i guess recording isnt my only perimeter....i also am constantly online..but i guess they all pretty much own the web lol

Err yeah.
an also, can you only get a mac from Apple dealers? or can you go to a store and find one?
UG's HIPPIE
get a mac pro
lol ya...but it depends, do you want a laptop or a desktop?
if it doesn't matter, go with an imac unless you really want it to be a laptop, in that case get teh one in the middle, with an HDD upgrade
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
(Invalid img)

There's a unch of iMacs on this page. I'm getting a new one (my third mac) ina few weeks. Even the lowest model beats all PCs by long.

BTW, what's all the beef with mac? they're reliable, they get nearly no viruses, run smoothly, have better graphics then PC, and are less expensive.

Do the math.
nevermind...i went to apple.com

im not paying 2000$ for a damn computer...i mean the things are amazing...but i dont got that much =..(
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by guitar_amateur
you can't install SONAR on a mac

wat's your point?
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
i paid 1750 with tax on mine, i got the second macbook, and it's worth it, once you go mac you never go back
and on a mac you can have every OS imaginable, OSX, XP/Vista, linux, and so on
Gear:
Floor Pod (for sale)
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~

im not paying 2000$ for a damn computer...i mean the things are amazing...but i dont got that much =..(

That's why I said a Mac Mini. Its $700
Quote by fridge_raider
You're a fucking idiot. I bet you've hardly even used a Mac , have you?

You're wrong. I took a course on Movie making in high school last year and we used Macs, I absolutely hate them. I used one for about 5 months nearly everyday. I think I can make a legit claims about liking them, YOU ****ing idiot.
Quote by MastaBassist10

lol....

Macs look interesting. I'd definitely buy one if I wasn't such a gamer geek.
Quote by 7DaySkeptic
lol....

Macs look interesting. I'd definitely buy one if I wasn't such a gamer geek.

Same. Only Mac I'm likely to buy in the forseeable future is a Big Mac.
Quote by Lets_Get_Rockin
ok a mac is exactly what you need for recording.

Get either a baseline iMac, a fully upgraded Macbook, or a macbook pro

+1

Playing guitar is NOT a sport.

Let the RABBITS wear GLASSES
]
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
... thats basically my only perimeter (sp?)...

Hi ~G{}{}BER~,

The word you're looking for is parameter. Perimeter is the distance around the outside of something.

Sorry I can't help you more with the heart of your question. I haven't been around Macs in years, but I do miss them.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~

I own one, they aren't "amazing." To me they're actually insulting. I find a PC to be much more powerful (of course I don't **** around when it comes to my pc. I built mine ). Macs tend to be incompatible with alot of things/programs.

This whole idea that somehow macs are better for media uses than PCs are is complete bull**** and not well thought out. "Hey, it comes with Garage Band, it must be better than PCs for music and recording applications." macs and PCs use the same basic hardware (ram, motherboard, processor, gpu, etc.) The thought that because the sticker says mac and not PC it's automatically better for media than a PC is completely stupid.

Plus macfags are annoying as **** and never shut the hell up about how "great" their computers are, when in fact the idea behind macs is to be simple, therefore acknowledging that the people they sell to are complete and utter dumbasses. The only reason I bought a mac is to avoid Microsoft's epic fail known as "Vista," which will improve with time, but now it blows ass.

Um yeah...so there
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Macs get less viruses, run smoother, look cooler,and last longer.
That's where Mac passes PC
oh dear I can see this deteriorating into another pc/mac bitchfight
I wanna grow up to be a debaser
Quote by RentACar
Macs get less viruses, run smoother, look cooler,and last longer.
That's where Mac passes PC

plus OS X is 10x better than Vista, even though so much of Vista seems to be stolen from it...

I'd suggest the mid range MacBook, it'll do everything you want without costing too much.

Garaeband is overrated. Almost anyone who uses a Mac for music and recording and stuff will use Cubase or Reason etc. It's not like you windows guys do all your recordings on sound recorder.
I use an upgraded MacBook for recording (I got an upgrade to the RAM and processor so it can handle loads of plug-ins), record using Logic and haven't had any problems with it yet, or my Mac in general. It's really easy to get up and running as well. All I had to do when I bought an M-Audio FastTrack audio interface and wanted to get some guitar tracks down was plug it all in, open Logic, click OK, plug in my trusty Ibanez and I was away. If I was on a PC I get the feeling I'd still trying to be getting it to work.

What I like about it most is that everything works. Simple as that. With PCs I always feel I'm in an uphill struggle against the computer to get anything done, and Microsoft's idea of helping you is that stupid paperclip in Word - "It looks like you're not writing a letter. Would you like to write a letter?". OS X, meanwhile, has a system utility that at the click of a button will trawl the whole system for anything that's gone wrong and fix it. It literally is a 'Just make everything work again!' button.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
before i rant, i just want to say i have a mac, which im quite satisfied with

macs are not 'better' or 'worse' than windows, there just used for different things, and have different pros an cons. Mac is easier to use (ie more user friendly), less likely to get a virus, but more importantly there USED FOR DIFFERENT THINGS.....if u use things like ProTools, or any sort of photoshopping program, then u have to get a mac. the atrocity known as vista will explode in your face if you try to use it with these programs. the one main thing is compatibility. kiss most computer games goodbye (but hey, i can still play starcraft an im waitin for the new one, which is gonna be for mac)

im not gonna list the pros an cons of PC, im sure you know them. but just to warn you, if you use a mac and try to go bac to PC, you will get frustrated. at least i do.
Quote by nebraskan
Sometimes my penis stands up so I rub it and then he gets sick from the rubbing (probably an upset tummy) and throws up ... ...
Quote by metaldud536
Im 18 and ive never had a wet dream. is that normal?
Quote by Våd Hamster
I used to think that girls only had 2 holes

^sex?
Quote by the_maestro

"Don't buy one."

He wants to do recording, it's the right thing to do.

I'm a PC nut, and I feel so dirty saying that
You can find used or refurbished Macs for good deals. Apple also offers education discounts on their machines. Just need to shop around. Start off looking at Amazon or eBay.

A new iMac would do the OP well.

Do notice how Gateway is copying Apple again. ahhahahahahahaahha
Quote by the_maestro

"Don't buy one."

+36584757

Seriously don't!
At some point of your life you'll regret the decision!
ive used macs at school numerous times, and i just dont like them as much as a PC.

sorry. they arent bad, but i dont see a reason to spend twice the price i did for my HP to get a macbook.

and if you want to laugh, read this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Quote by NutZz?
if u use things like ProTools, or any sort of photoshopping program, then u have to get a mac. the atrocity known as vista will explode in your face if you try to use it with these programs.

???? i have photoshop CS2 running on vista, and i have no trouble.
Last edited by daytripper75 at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by af_the_fragile
+36584757

Seriously don't!
At some point of your life you'll regret the decision!

don't you people have anything better to do?
Quote by sashki
A lot of pros do that: if they play a wrong note, they'll hit it again to make it look as if it's intentional. It's called "jazz", aparently.

Member #12 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Lets not compare Vista and OSX. No one likes Vista. Period. There's no argument there. That being said, theres no actual advantage that a mac has over pc for recording. Unless you want to be cute and say that macs have built in mics. Chances are you'll want something more than the built in mic.

Macs look cooler. That's probably my favorite thing mac users/fan boys say as their last ditch effort to be right about the argument they know they've lost. I like a pc because I like having a choice in the way it looks.

I also enjoy being able to upgrade anything in the computer that I want to, without having Steve Jobs breathing down my neck as I do it.

Maddox is completely correct with what he writes here: http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

Lets see...am i done bitching...hold on a sec...

Oh, here's a PC that looks better than a mac imo : https://store.widowpc.com/img/graphics/parts/CAD-LIAV2000B-500-G.jpg

Oh yeah, one more point and I'll end my post. The whole copying complaint. There isn't one ****ing company that doesn't copy another company. It's the way all industries work. If something is good, doesn't it make sense to try to employ the idea in some of your products? If nobody copied anyone we'd have a bunch of single-task products. Imagine having a computer that makes spreadsheets and documents. Another that plays videos and music. Yet another one for gaming. It would be ridiculously stupid.

I'm done
Look Left>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Left you idiot
Page 1 of 2