Sorry if there's a sticky on this somewhere, i must have overlooked:

But yeah, i've finally got round to getting into jazz, and i really like it =D

But i want to get into playing it, so can you point me in the direction of any tabs/certain songs that you would think of use? And also, anything specific to learn? Chords etc?

I've been listening to stuff such as Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis, but it's really obscure and there's no obvious listen to list thats as structured as say blues music etc

So yeah, help?
Quote by philipisabeast
Sorry if there's a sticky on this somewhere, i must have overlooked:

But yeah, i've finally got round to getting into jazz, and i really like it =D

But i want to get into playing it, so can you point me in the direction of any tabs/certain songs that you would think of use? And also, anything specific to learn? Chords etc?

I've been listening to stuff such as Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis, but it's really obscure and there's no obvious listen to list thats as structured as say blues music etc

So yeah, help?

That's kind of the thing with jazz, it's "unstructured".

-g13
I know the scales backwards, forwards, and every phrase within them. Then study the phrasing and syncopation that jazz players use, and study trumpet and saxophonists heavily. And then practice for hours.
The best thing you can do is choose a specific person, per exemplum Joe Pass, or even a horn player like 'Trane, and concentrate on that person for one whole year. Learn their every move. Believe me, it works.
The jazz student