Well, the title says it well enough. I've been hearing how tube amps are so superior to SS, and I need something to play at gig-levels. I do plan on checking locally in pawn shops and the small music shops for any decent deals, but if that doesn't work out, I need suggestions as to one to order. Under $500 would be nice (I'm hoping for more $300 to $400, but that may be a bit too hopeful.).

My musical style is influenced mainly by the 60s psychadelic and later progressive rock, if that's necessary as to your suggestions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The Crate V32 and Peavey Valveking are the only gig-worthy tube amps I can think of new under $500. You should be able to find a used Peavey Classic 30 or Fender Hot Rod for $350 or less, though. Those amps are all over.

I love the Palomino that my son has, but I'm reading a lot of reliability concerns regarding them here. The one we have was made in the USA. I'm starting to believe that makes a big difference. If you have the luxury of shopping in person, make sure you look to see where it was made.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Ah, thanks Crazy Saddam guy and Zeppelin guy. I'll see what those are like then...
peavy classic 30, I found one used, and its more than loud enough to gig with.
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Used Yamaha T-50
Used Ampeg VL-502
Used Orange Tiny Terror
Used Peavey Classic 30

The list goes on.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
You could get a blues junior and a nice overdrive at that price.

Or a used Classic 30, Crate V32/v16, delta blues, tiny terror, and so on.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Wonthefu
What if you got three Epi valve jr.'s and a splitter box and played through all three at once? That would probably be about $500 and would be awesome as hell!

lol, useless post, but fun sounding to say the least
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
a used fender all tube or a peavey classic 30.

btw, the classic 30 has no stand-by switch?!?
Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

[quote="'']Congratulations! You have won the award for the most irrelevant thing ever said in a thread!
Quote by Ferrarone
a used fender all tube or a peavey classic 30.

Just let it warm up with the volume on zero (still with everything plugged in though)
Quote by Ferrarone

That would be my only real complaint about the amp. I don't mind turning on an Epi VJ at at zero and letting it warm up, but that's only two tubes whose life I'm shortening. The C30 has seven. And for gigs, I'd much rather put an amp on standby between sets than turn it off and on again.

Still not gonna do much (if any) better for under $400 on the used market, though. Otherwise it's really a great little amp.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.