I've run into a bit of confusion.

I've been looking around for a new amp for a while, and I had my heart pretty much set on a Marshall MG100 HDFX half stack (I love Marshalls). My friend found out I was looking for a new amp and told me I should get a tube amp and not a digital amp. Problem is, I don't know the difference between the two. So I have a few questions...

What's the difference between a tube amp and a digital amp? Is one better than the other? Does Marshall make tube amps (which model)? Is the MG100 HDFX a tube amp?
Quote by iambomb69
I've run into a bit of confusion.

I've been looking around for a new amp for a while, and I had my heart pretty much set on a Marshall MG100 HDFX half stack (I love Marshalls). My friend found out I was looking for a new amp and told me I should get a tube amp and not a digital amp. Problem is, I don't know the difference between the two. So I have a few questions...

What's the difference between a tube amp and a digital amp? Is one better than the other? Does Marshall make tube amps (which model)? Is the MG100 HDFX a tube amp?

There is a HUGE sticky on this near the top of the GG&A section [which is where you went to post this] it'll answer all your questions
Marshall MG = poop

it is Solid State power amp, digital preamp

Solid State amps use transistors
Digital amps use microprocessors and transistors
Tube (valve) amps use thermonic valves

simple eh?

Tube amps are regarded as the best kind of amp for tone
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
Last edited by mcw00t at Sep 26, 2007,
The MG is not a tube amp, and it's not solid state, it's digital. The small ones are crap, and the big ones (i.e., MG100hdfx), are expensive crap.
For more info about tubes (valves) and such, look at the sticky like Phil said.
Reading the stickies sure is fun...

Quick answer:
Tube amps use vacuum tubes in both the preamp and poweramp stages of the amplifier instead of transistors. They have a much more natural (and better) sound and produce an exquisite overdrive when you turn the volume up.

Digital modelling amps model the sound of expensive hi end tube amps, they of course sound inferior and fake in some ways and are often said to be cold sounding. On the plus side these amps are very versatile since they model different types of amplifiers.

Tube amps sound (almost always) much better then solid state/modelling amps but they lack the simplicity and versatility of those formentioned amps.

Almost all Marshall amplifiers are tube, Marshalls Solid State amplifiers include the MG series (like that halfstack you're looking at), the AVT series (they have a tube in the preamp and are a gimmick) and the Mode 4 series. All these amplifiers are extremely poor and very overpriced relying on the Marshall name, the MG series is one of the worst kind of amplifiers on the face of the earth.

Now i have some questions for you:
You seem like an unexperienced guitarist, why do you love Marshalls? Is it because your idol/s play/s one? If so then you need to know two things:

1.Not all Marshall are created equal, the hi end ones may rule but the low end ones like the MG halfstack are a pile of crap.

2.The Artist is most definitively playing a hi end Marshall.

Are you more serious about playing guitar? If you're serious about it and already have some playing experience then you might as well get a tube amp right away. If you're just playing around with some friends and you don't really want to invest time and money into guitar you should buy a good modelling amp.

Either way if you tell us your budget and playing styles we can recommend an amp for you.
Last edited by Chinomaster182 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by which ones pink
The MG is not a tube amp, and it's not solid state, it's digital. The small ones are crap, and the big ones (i.e., MG100hdfx), are expensive crap.
For more info about tubes (valves) and such, look at the sticky like Phil said.

touche, my mistake
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
A much better choice would be a Vox Valvetronix amp.
Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM 900
peavey 5150

Mesa 4x12
^ no...
tube amps > solid state amps >>> digital amps
Gear:

Jackson dk2m
MIM strat
peavey jsx 2x12 combo
Recording King RDC-26
Digitch RP1000
Crybaby 535Q
Every marshall you have heard and liked was most likely a tube amp. They are known for their tube amps.

The MGs are terrible, and the MG100 is just expensive and terrible. I would check out a peavey classic 30 at that price, maybe a traynor 50? Just look around for things that aren't a half stack, you don't need one anyway.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by 2003LP
Tube amps>digital/solid state amps

I don't get why people do this?

This guy says "Tube amps>digital/ss"

and he has a Line 6?
Guitars
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Warmoth Strat
Epiphone G-1275 (Burstbuckers)
Fender MIM Chrome Red Strat
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
If you notice the face next to the amp he aint exactly happy with ti.

Tube will always win over a solid state.
Quote by stevemarshall

and he has a Line 6?

He has a Classic 30 as well.

^And to the post above, tube doesn't always win over SS, for example BB King uses SS amps, as do many jazz guitarists. Also the higher end Line 6s (Vettas) sound very good. I think you're trying to say "tube>cheap SS and cheap digital.
Quote by which ones pink
He has a Classic 30 as well.

^And to the post above, tube doesn't always win over SS, for example BB King uses SS amps, as do many jazz guitarists. Also the higher end Line 6s (Vettas) sound very good. I think you're trying to say "tube>cheap SS and cheap digital.

Very true, Roland Jazz anyone?
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
imho tube is the way to go plus a 60 watt tube amp will blow down the f*cking house. ss sounds bland and flat to me ( i cant stand my fender 650), also i do not like the distortion in the ss amp half as much as my duncan of vj with a ts9 (ear sex) . tube>ss
Tube is generally better, but an expensive solidstate/digital amp (vetta, or maybe a high end solidstate), will be better than say an epi valve junior.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by stevemarshall

and he has a Line 6?

so, he probably doesn't like it... and for the thread starter, you should go try some out and see for your self... the important thing is that you like not what UG likes... the MG and spider isn't very liked here on UG...

and tube generally beats SS
I was just saying...it seems to me a bunch of people are just saying "Tube > SS" because everyone else around here says it.

Anyways, my cousin gave me his MG, I had it for about 2 months and it is now locked up in a closet.

It's an alright practice amp, but it might not be the best for large gigs.

Then again thats my opinion.

-Steve M.
Guitars
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat
Warmoth Strat
Epiphone G-1275 (Burstbuckers)
Fender MIM Chrome Red Strat
Fender 12 String Acoustic
Amp
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe