i'm kinda into the sound that tom morello of rage against the machine produces with his guitar,and i'm into the whole rap&rock&roll thing, so would it REALLY matter what type of guitar i use? i know it has to be electric and also..........what kind of pedals would i need, for a start? maybe distorsion,delay/echo and wah-wah???
any suggestions?
and one more thing, what's the cheapest wah-wah pedal available?

thanks!
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

SEX, DRUGS AND DUNGEONS & DRAGONS
Fender Telecaster, Custom built guitar with EMG 85-81
Marshall 50-watt head, peavey cab
delay
digitech ORIGNAL whammy pedal
MXR phaser
trem pedal in audioslave
further refference: http://penguinguitars.tripod.com/RATM/index.html

if you havn't guessed im also a huge fan
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
Quote by zapatista89
Fender Telecaster, Custom built guitar with EMG 85-81
Marshall 50-watt head, peavey cab
delay
digitech ORIGNAL whammy pedal
MXR phaser
trem pedal in audioslave
further refference: http://penguinguitars.tripod.com/RATM/index.html

if you havn't guessed im also a huge fan

no offense...but i know what morello plays, even if i didn't i could find out(freedom of information etc etc)...i'm asking what could i get that could allow me to play what he plays... once again - no offense
A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should make you wanna destroy cop cars and set fire to the suburbs.

Quote by smajatz
no offense...but i know what morello plays, even if i didn't i could find out(freedom of information etc etc)...i'm asking what could i get that could allow me to play what he plays... once again - no offense

yeh n if you bought those..............

well you can base it on that cant ya?

instead me exerting my effort to help a fellow rage fan
Quote by Atomic48
Nothing's impossible if you have the proper artillery.

Quote by Prole
In-depth common sense, at your service.

I Witnessed The Glory Of GORHL!

"It all shall fall, by the grace of the people." - ZDLR in Producer.
pedal wise, DEFINETLY a digitech whammy
guitar wise, i've always associated morello with telecasters
Top lel.
Quote by smajatz
i'm kinda into the sound that tom morello of rage against the machine produces with his guitar,and i'm into the whole rap&rock&roll thing, so would it REALLY matter what type of guitar i use? i know it has to be electric and also..........what kind of pedals would i need, for a start? maybe distorsion,delay/echo and wah-wah???
any suggestions?
and one more thing, what's the cheapest wah-wah pedal available?

thanks!

I think you should get the digitech whammy pedal instead of a wah for a sound like morello's.
Quote by zapatista89
yeh n if you bought those..............

well you can base it on that cant ya?

instead me exerting my effort to help a fellow rage fan

i could,if i had the money...i'm kinda limited so the original stuff will have to wait and,as i sad - no offense, i'm very gratefull for your help, what so ever

I would say:

Telecaster - Install a killswitch for an extra $5
Marshall JCM 800 (or something near it)
Wah
Whammy

That could get you playing most of his stuff.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
soul power > arm the homeless. :P.

as far as guitars go...you can use pretty much anything, so long as you like the tone. if you get one with humbuckers you can use the pickup selector as a killswitch (if you get a fender strat or the like, it's a bit harder to do as most have 5-way switches, so you may need to wire yourself a killswitch). as far as effects go, i'd suggest delay, wah, and whammy. hopefully your amp's distortion is enough (if not...get a different amp).
could i do anything with an ibanez grx40j...it's kinda what i can afford now...can the toggle switch on it function as a kill switch...i'm relatively new to electric so the whole "pickup" thing is kinda new to me.....i know about the kill switch and the volumes 10 and 0, but as i sadi - can it function on an ibanez?
thanks!

well, does that guitar have 2 volume knobs? If so, then yes, you can use it as a killswitch
Quote by -heartbreaker-
well, does that guitar have 2 volume knobs? If so, then yes, you can use it as a killswitch

well,if i remember correctly one says VOLUME other TONE it has three pickups, humbucker and two scs so its a HSS.... that's if i remember correctly...anyone - correct me if i'm wrong....
so if that IS the case....is it doable?

Quote by Sun-burst

yeah,read that...i'm kinda short on money to get all that stuff - that's why i turned here...thanks anyway!

Be creative. Morrello created his own sound, you create yours!

My advice is to go to the guitar shops all around you and try all their pedals. Then, go get a job, make alot of money (about $300-$500). Go back, and just go nuts! You'll have your very own rig to do stuff and what not.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
To get the tone you need a good Marshall amp cranked. Your guitar needs to have a killswitch (check the gear building and customizing forum) and a whammy bar. For pedals, get a digitech whammy and go from there.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by smajatz
yeah,read that...i'm kinda short on money to get all that stuff - that's why i turned here...thanks anyway!

3 essentials you would need are (in order of importance)

1. Kill switch

2. Whammy pedal

3. Digital delay
Quote by CORT noob
Be creative. Morrello created his own sound, you create yours!

My advice is to go to the guitar shops all around you and try all their pedals. Then, go get a job, make alot of money (about $300-$500). Go back, and just go nuts! You'll have your very own rig to do stuff and what not.

on the money...nice one!

Quote by Sun-burst
3 essentials you would need are (in order of importance)

1. Kill switch

2. Whammy pedal

3. Digital delay

let's say i start from here...i know i could get a delay pedal for about 30 euros, but what about whammy? how much is the cheapest,and how much a decent one(if the cheapest one is the most decent, well )

Last edited by smajatz at Sep 27, 2007,
I think you could get a delay for that, such as a digitech digidelay. You have two options on the whammy. You could buy a used digitech whammy(the newest reissue) used fpr about 150 usd, or you could get a boss super shifter used for about 100 usd.
Eyes
Quote by woodenbandman
My dear man, I must petition you for photographic evidence, or the described events cannot be verified, and will be written off as fallacy.
Quote by smajatz
let's say i start from here...i know i could get a delay pedal for about 30 euros, but what about whammy? how much is the cheapest,and how much a decent one(if the cheapest one is the most decent, well :cheers

for whammy you definitely want a digitech whammy. dont bother looking at anything else. however, they are pretty pricey so go for used on ebay
thanks guys,i think i know what to look for now

edit:
actually, no one has told me about the killswitch on ibanez grx40j...as i said before it has two knobs one says VOLUME other TONE or TUNE i'm not sure
here's a link, but the picture is pretty small: http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/products/eg/grx40j/index.html

thanks!

Last edited by smajatz at Sep 27, 2007,
Forget about Morello for the time being and just concentrate on learning to play the guitar - machine-gunning with a killswitch is a pretty low down the list in terms of essential technique. It's the kind of thing you learn to do to embellish your playing, but you have to learn to play first.

If you want to break the rules you have to learn them first, but in all honesty you're completely missing the point of Morello's style. He managed to develop as a player pretty independently and wasn't particularly influenced by other guitarists. If you're already this influenced by him then you're doing the exact opposite of what he did, he approached the guitar with an completely open mind and kind of learned it his own way. It appears that you're approaching it with severe tunnel vision and pretty much only seeing Morello.

If you set out to copy him you're just going to sound lame as you've tried to leasrn something that wasn't taught in the first place but developed naturally. If you want to stay true to Morello's spirit then you should ideally stop listening to other guitarists and figure things out for yourself, and certainly not ask questions on a forum - he'd be turning in his grave if he was dead.

The best thing to do is just learn to play, start at the beginning and progress gradually, listening to loads of stuff and absorbing all kinds of influences. That way you'll develop your own style naturally. Copyin a style is bad enough, but trying to copy someone as unique as Morello is a futile exercise.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Forget about Morello for the time being and just concentrate on learning to play the guitar - machine-gunning with a killswitch is a pretty low down the list in terms of essential technique. It's the kind of thing you learn to do to embellish your playing, but you have to learn to play first.

If you want to break the rules you have to learn them first, but in all honesty you're completely missing the point of Morello's style. He managed to develop as a player pretty independently and wasn't particularly influenced by other guitarists. If you're already this influenced by him then you're doing the exact opposite of what he did, he approached the guitar with an completely open mind and kind of learned it his own way. It appears that you're approaching it with severe tunnel vision and pretty much only seeing Morello.

If you set out to copy him you're just going to sound lame as you've tried to leasrn something that wasn't taught in the first place but developed naturally. If you want to stay true to Morello's spirit then you should ideally stop listening to other guitarists and figure things out for yourself, and certainly not ask questions on a forum - he'd be turning in his grave if he was dead.

The best thing to do is just learn to play, start at the beginning and progress gradually, listening to loads of stuff and absorbing all kinds of influences. That way you'll develop your own style naturally. Copyin a style is bad enough, but trying to copy someone as unique as Morello is a futile exercise.

Well, since I’ve never took a lesson or went to musical school I’ve found Morello’s life story quite inspiring. I’ve been learning by myself since I’ve picked up the guitar for the first time. A little help from friend or two here and there… I’m not trying to sound LIKE Morello; I just find so much inspiration in the way he plays the guitar.
And since I don’t know jack about electric I thought it’d be a good start to get some of the gear he has, or at least something close enough. I mean – he didn’t invent the wah pedal, but still he used it to great extent. Same thing goes for delay etc. etc.Comparing the stuff I’m planning to play to Morello’s is the same like saying that you’re trying to play like Hendrix because you have a telecaster, or a stratocaster (I’m not sure what he played, but that’s not the issue).
To sum up – I really am trying to play uniquely, that is probably the reason why I don’t learn many songs, or do covers; I always practice my own stuff. Some may find that bad, but I think it’s great to try to express yourself through something other than your voice. So – I’m not trying to sound like Morello but I admire his work because of the innovation he brought (some may argue about that, but that also is not an issue), it helps me say: “I can make something different!”
I should’ve probably named the topic “What pedals do I need to sound differently…” but felt that Morello would be the closest thing I’m trying to achieve…

Thanks for many advice though…