Page 1 of 2
Awesome, amazing book. Period. Longest book I've ever read, clocking in at over 1,100 pages.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
Quote by Ingsoc
Awesome, amazing book. Period. Longest book I've ever read, clocking in at over 1,100 pages.

Same here. I can dig my man.
I was miffed about how some of the characters turned out, specifically Nadine. But it all turned out very interesting, especially the way they manipulated the situation with Stu Redman and Tom What'shisface.
Clamdigger of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
Some say a comet will fall from the sky...
His best along with The Mist and Pet Semetary..

You seen The Stand's film adaption? It's quite good, got Gary Sinese and the dude that voices Patrick in Spongebob (Billl Fagerbakke).

It's really just the kind of book that should never end
My copy was around 1400 pages. One of the most epic books I've ever read, and the best post-apocalytic novel I can think of.

It's definitely one of my favourite books of all time, it's way more deserving of the big hollywood treatment that Lord of the Rings got, though it might have ruined it for me (I havent seen the TV adaption).
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Thornography
Where'd you go for like the last 2 months. I voted for you for worst uger.

My computer brokeded.

Quote by Phill-Rock
My copy was around 1400 pages. One of the most epic books I've ever read, and the best post-apocalytic novel I can think of.

It's definitely one of my favourite books of all time, it's way more deserving of the big hollywood treatment that Lord of the Rings got, though it might have ruined it for me (I havent seen the TV adaption).

You sure you don't mean 1140?
Quote by glm
My computer brokeded.

You sure you don't mean 1140?

No, it's 1426. Its the completely full version, and also it's around three quarters of an inch less... tall? then the standard book size, so maybe that adds more pages?

Definitely 1426 though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
That book is one of my favourites ever. Definitely the best post-apocalyptic novel I've ever read. There were some right good characters in that book. Trashcan Man is the ****.
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
I picked that book to do a book report on last year.... unfortunately I only had week to read it, so I only finished about 1/4 of it lol. I had to go to wiki for my report. But yeah, I finished it, and it's one of the best books I ever read.
I'm a person.
Quote by Phill-Rock
No, it's 1426. Its the completely full version, and also it's around three quarters of an inch less... tall? then the standard book size, so maybe that adds more pages?

Definitely 1426 though.

I have the same version and it's 1140 pages.

Is it paperback or hardcover?

Quote by PinkIsCool
I picked that book to do a book report on last year.... unfortunately I only had week to read it, so I only finished about 1/4 of it lol. I had to go to wiki for my report. But yeah, I finished it, and it's one of the best books I ever read.

I read it in like a week.
Quote by glm
I have the same version and it's 1140 pages.

Is it paperback or hardcover?

I read it in like a week.

Well I have other stuff to do when I get home from school, like play guitar, video games, surf the web etc., so I only really read before I go to bed.
I'm a person.
Glm, you seem to like Stephen King.

I am not much of a reader as I used to be; so recommend me his best book.
Stephen King is awesome, I have yet to read The Stand. I own it but I haven't gotten around to reading it.

Has anyone else in here read War and Peace....that was the longest and most boring book I've ever read. But it gave me 30% to my term mark in social studies
I will look into it, but is it captivating enough to hold my attention?

1140 seems an awful lot.
Quote by _Mayday_
I will look into it, but is it captivating enough to hold my attention?

1140 seems an awful lot.

It is, it has a world threatening disease, murder rampages, messages in dreams, a-bomb, epicness, messangers of God, Legion, and much more.

BTW, It is 1090 pages (my version is) and here's a little plot summary: The novel is set in the fictional town of Derry, Maine, where a malevolent, shape-shifting, child-killing monster (referred to simply as "It") lurks in the sewers and storm-drains.

I'm just putting that much because I don't want to give away any spoilers.
I've never read the stand but I do like the movie, although its a bit corny in places, my friend read it and loved it. I should really go out and pick it up sometime. And glm is right, It is definitely one of my favorite Stephen King books, its long, but its just soo fucked up and crazy, I could hardly put it down. I also really like firestarter and the shining.
Last edited by LeBaron at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by _Mayday_
Glm, you seem to like Stephen King.

I am not much of a reader as I used to be; so recommend me his best book.

The Stand is incredible. I think the movie version of it was done alright.
I would love to see The Mist made into a movie. That would kick ass if done right.
Its in one of his short story collections. Skeleton Crew maybe?

Edit:
And yeah. "IT" is another long book. Great book. Great story.
They did a movie on that one to.
Unfortunately I thought the movie was a major pile of sh1t.

The Tommyknockers I really liked.
Last edited by CodeMonk at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by TnT~55
IT = awesome, I spent a whole vacation reading it.

It took me a week.
Quote by glm
It took me a week.

That's how long I was on vacation for :P
Quote by CodeMonk
I would love to see The Mist made into a movie. That would kick ass if done right.

Look what I just found man:

Quote by :Revenga:

You seen The Stand's film adaption? It's quite good, got Gary Sinese and the dude that voices Patrick in Spongebob (Billl Fagerbakke).

I didn't think it was bad but its cheesiness made it a bit unwatchable for me at times. Like the way Nick says ''I can hear! I can talk!'' in his dream. Or that bit when Stu feels Flagg watching him in his dream then he turns around and Flagg just randomly goes ''Argh!'' When I read that bit in the book I really found it quite eerie and it sent a chill down my spine, in the film it was just funny and stupid. But the pièce de résistance is that bit when Flagg goes crazy in the hotel room. He smashes stuff up with the conviction of, well, no conviction at all. The guy that played Flagg was good at the part, though. He pulled off the 'sinisterly charming' look perfectly.

As for the book, I thought it was awesome.
Rule number three: Never open the package

It's magic magic baby!

Yoink!
Quote by _Mayday_
Look what I just found man:

Here's the info from imdb.com
http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0884328/
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
ive been reading the dark tower novels, im on the sixth (song of susannah) anyone read them?
they must have totalled more tha 3,ooo pages
Quote by Mathamology
One day that guy is gonna lose a whole arm to that blender

and that shall be the day I laugh the hardest
Quote by markazord
ive been reading the dark tower novels, im on the sixth (song of susannah) anyone read them?
they must have totalled more tha 3,ooo pages

Yeah, The Dark Tower series is very good. The ending of the last book is a real mind f*ck.
Also read The Talisman and Black House. They tie in to The Dark Tower books. Especially The Black House, which is technically The Talisman Part 2.
Quote by thedude051
bubbaearl...Man that is...THE SICKEST NAME EVER!!!

Quote by Stress Cow
bubbaearl... apparently it's the sickest name ever

Are you over 30?
Probably not, but if you are, click HERE.
Terribly overrated. "Long" doesn't equal "good." The middle 700 pages or so are meandering and boring. A good 1,000+ page book is Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. But then again, he worries about things like "plot" and "structure."
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
Terribly overrated. "Long" doesn't equal "good." The middle 700 pages or so are meandering and boring. A good 1,000+ page book is Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin. But then again, he worries about things like "plot" and "structure."

Stephen King is a prolific writer, he never stops so it stands to reason some of his novels are going to be under average, when he's on form he is a fantastic writer; whens hes's not, he's terrible. if you enjoy plot and structure pick up some of the dark tower books, they really are amazing

Quote by bubbaearl
Yeah, The Dark Tower series is very good. The ending of the last book is a real mind f*ck.
Also read The Talisman and Black House. They tie in to The Dark Tower books. Especially The Black House, which is technically The Talisman Part 2.

how exactly do they tie in?
Quote by Mathamology

Quote by markazord
Stephen King is a prolific writer, he never stops so it stands to reason some of his novels are going to be under average, when he's on form he is a fantastic writer; whens hes's not, he's terrible. if you enjoy plot and structure pick up some of the dark tower books, they really are amazing.

I've read about 1/2 of King's published works. If it's under 500 pages, it has the possibility of being good. Eyes of the Dragon, Pet Sematary, etc. are all pretty good. I've read 4 books of the Dark Tower series. Books 1 and 2 are not bad. Book 3 drags and Book 4 was almost completely superfluous. I also hate how King recycles plot ideas. But King really doesn't either plot or structure since he has a metaphysical, psuedo-new age approach to writing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I've read about 1/2 of King's published works. If it's under 500 pages, it has the possibility of being good. Eyes of the Dragon, Pet Sematary, etc. are all pretty good. I've read 4 books of the Dark Tower series. Books 1 and 2 are not bad. Book 3 drags and Book 4 was almost completely superfluous. I also hate how King recycles plot ideas. But King really doesn't either plot or structure since he has a metaphysical, psuedo-new age approach to writing.

try the later three,19 plays a more integral part,although you may see this as 'recycling ideas', when its a recurring theme. 'wolves of the calla' does drag though , try his shorter stories aswell they tend to be more plot orientated, and don't raise characters and drop them like he did with the 'tick tock man'.

But you could argue his style of writing also allows him to come up with crazy plots and ideas othe writers wouldnt dare/would find too anti-conformative.
i do agree with what you've said to an extent and im really just playing devils-advocate. sorry.
Quote by Mathamology

ive yet to read a stephen king book. Would anyone recommend this as his best, or should a start with something else?
Quote by glm
Same here. I can dig my man.

But CAN YOU?!

*DUN DUN DUUUUHHH*

Anyway, love the book.

STU REDMAN FTW!
Quote by B3low3mpty
ive yet to read a stephen king book. Would anyone recommend this as his best, or should a start with something else?

Yeah dude..try the following books by King:

Christine
The Stand
The Shining
Carrie
IT

^ They are my favorites by him.
Page 1 of 2