I decided to go with a mfx pedal instead of an amp because I like to play with headphones and I would possibly like to play through a computer so I wouldn't have to dl tabs, jam with music, have acess to drum loops ect. so I have some questions about the gt-8...(I'm not planning on using it with my amp)

1. I heard I can haggle someone down or buy it for $200-$250? Is this true? If so how?
2. What's an effects loop?
3. How will it sound using my computer's line in and the pedal's digital out?
4. It would be worlds better than the rp250 right?
5. Can I get thick heavy metal tones as well as heavenly cleans?
6. Should I get a sound card upgrade if I do manage to record with it?
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by Hellfire999

1. I heard I can haggle someone down or buy it for $200-$250? Is this true? If so how?
2. What's an effects loop?
3. How will it sound using my computer's line in and the pedal's digital out?
4. It would be worlds better than the rp250 right?
5. Can I get thick heavy metal tones as well as heavenly cleans?
6. Should I get a sound card upgrade if I do manage to record with it?

1. Haha, I wish. Look for a used one, you may be able to find one around $250 if you haggle.
2. An effects loop is where you plug in outside effects and pedals, by passing the preamp section and using only the power section of an amp.
3. Should sound fine
4. It should be. what amp are you running it into?
5. And everything in between.
6. What software are you using to record with?
Quote by Hellfire999
I'm not planning on using my amp if I get a mfx pedal and I would be using audacity.

Alright. Your stock sound card should be fine. And it will sound loads better then the RP
Quote by Hellfire999
So can you give me some good ways to haggle at GC pwease?

Ask them for a better price. Be like "Hey, think you can do $375 on this?" and if they say no counter with something lower with there counter. If they aren't budging, say you're going somewhere else because you can get a better price. Be ready to walk out. They hate it when you walk out and they haven't sold you anything. I personally would go used though.
So if they don't budge I should say "oh well, I can get this cheaper" and start to walk out? Would he make me try out some sick impossible solo on it to prove I deserve it? Should I memorize the specs? Any other tips? What questions will he ask me? I don't really feel like trying it out, I know it's good and it would be too embarrassing considering people have problems on guitars that aren't their own.
Last edited by Hellfire999 at Sep 26, 2007,
Quote by Hellfire999
So if they don't budge I should say "oh well, I can get this cheaper" and start to walk out? Would he make me try out some sick impossible solo on it to prove I deserve it? Should I memorize the specs? Any other tips? What questions will he ask me? I don't really feel like trying it out, I know it's good and it would be too embarrassing considering people have problems on guitars that aren't their own.

He'll probably ask you what you're looking for in such a unit, and advise you try a few others. I don't feel you should memorize the specs. I would say "I can get this cheaper new" and walk out. I have done this and they don't like it, and more then once its gotten me a deal.
For one, don't use a credit or debit card. Cash talks. If you've got exactly $263 (or some other random, odd amount in your wallet around that amount), they will likely say yes. I've seen too many people do it and I've done the same. $250 is entirely possible as I've had two friends that have purchased the GT-8 for that price, and they've even advertised it at that price.
Quote by TwoString
For one, don't use a credit or debit card. Cash talks. If you've got exactly $263 (or some other random, odd amount in your wallet around that amount), they will likely say yes. I've seen too many people do it and I've done the same. $250 is entirely possible as I've had two friends that have purchased the GT-8 for that price, and they've even advertised it at that price.

Excellent advice that I forgot about (because I tend not to pay with cash). If you have the cash on hand, they do indeed hate to see you walk out the door, and will do almost anything to see you not. This is due in part to the fact the salespeople work on commission, and probably don't get paid said commission until the item they sold is paid for in full. That and they don't like to see you walk out, as thats one less sale towards a quota (if they have one), and one less from a possible bonus or just flat gaining favor with the manager.