So, today my guitar teacher told me about the Digitech JamMan and pretty much said it's an essential item that I should buy. Now, is he just trying to make some money or is that the truth? (By the way, it's not like I have amazing equipment, just a starter kit guitar/amp) And do I really need this loop pedal before a new guitar/amp?
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
DO NOT BUY IT IF YOU DONT WANT TO SPEND MORE THAN THE PEDDLES WORTH the reason i say this is because unless your amp has an effects loop its ****ing worthless. i have one for my V-amp from behringer and its good untill you realize that the tone of a recording saved on it is played in whatever your amp is on. What i mean is if your just jamming with distortion on it it will output anything distorted until you turn the distortion off. It will always have the same tone of your guitar at the same time, it sucks you can put a distortion pedle after it but thats just stupid if you have an effects amp. i hope that helps its insanely hard to explain
Well I would only say a looper is 'essential' if your planning on songwriting/recording ideas and stuff. And judging by your post I would say your not at that point yet...right?

I myself have a JamMan but yeah I got it 2 days ago, after all my other gear and been playing for little over 3 years and wanting to get into songwriting and recording ideas and being able to work on them in a live environment.

Personally I would upgrade amp/guitar first, and then think on luxury pedals such as the JamMan. As fun as it is, it is not an essential piece of kit.

EDIT: Thats a good point Jackson has just raised, I myself run it before the amp and use floor effects so it doesn't affect me, but if you are using the effects in your amp you will need to consider what FX loop is available
Gibson Les Paul Studio // BKP Nailbombs
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Last edited by JEEtoP at Sep 26, 2007,
Its a very nice unit and I guess your instructor wants you to play along with an track. But Im having a hard time understanding why its essential for a beginner. Seems like a bit overkill as there are free ways to play along with tracks. Including tempo shifting and multitrack recording. In essence I cant see why you should get one unless you really want it. I have one and like it, but its a bit expensive.

Oh and BTW you put your pedals in front of the Jamman and it works fine. Another option is split the output from your last pedal. One to the amp and the other to the Jamman and then run the Jamman into another amp or mixer, pa, stereo. I have my pedals in front.

It has several purposes. 1) Capture and play along with a track with tempo shifting (there are free or cheaper ways to do this). 2) Store backing tracks and play along (very useful). 3) Play over loops to build up a tune.
haha...well if you would prefer I have a larger version. Just PM me and its yours.

For hours and hours of fun....
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by JEEtoP
Well I would only say a looper is 'essential' if your planning on songwriting/recording ideas and stuff. And judging by your post I would say your not at that point yet...right?

Actually, I have recently been writing songs, and I do have riffs that are just stored in my head. But, I do see where you and everyone else is coming from when you're saying it's nice, but not essential at the moment and I should get decent equipment before I worry about other pedals.
Quote by Seryaph
You need to douse it in a 20/30/50 ratio of mustard/ketchup/horseradish and stroke it as fast as you can untill the mayonaise squirts out. Then consume.
extremely fun pedal and a Useful Tool. do you "need" to have one? no. should you have one? yes. you dont have to stop at guitar either, any other instruments you play and plug in can be used and sampled etc.
I apologize in advance for offending anyone but in my humble opinion anything by Digitech is cheap and sounds cheap, not to mention breaks if you sneeze at it. I don't know that particular item, but I would advise caution. There may be a higher-quality alternative out there.
the boss one is better. It has more usable features, more recording time, built better, sounds better. I have the RC20 from boss and before i bought it i tried the jamman and nothing that digitech makes has ever impressed me.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Deciding if one is better than the other in terms of features is ultimatley personal, I tried both the boss and digitech and the digitech, with its USB, XLR input and no compression on the loops you record, won me over. But it's just what you want out of the pedal.

And the Digitech has way more recording time with its Compact Flash card, up to 6.5 hours, as apposed to the Boss' 16 minutes!
Dean Performer Key Largo

Marshall JVM215C
Fulltone Octafuzz
Dunlop ZW-Wah
Quote by V12prowler
the boss one is better. It has more usable features, more recording time, built better, sounds better. I have the RC20 from boss and before i bought it i tried the jamman and nothing that digitech makes has ever impressed me.
My Jamman works great. I question that the RC20 has more useable features. And I would like to know what they are if you really know this to be true. However I can guarantee you that your statement regarding recording time is wrong. Also my Jamman is like a tank. Can't imagine what in particular is built better on the RC20.