I am about to embark on a guitar building odessy with the help of a couple of people knowledgable in the subject.

My primary scource of help will come from the owner of a local guitar store at which I work. He told me the first step was to essential design the guitar so I can show him the specs.

Can you guys help me compile a list of the kind of info I will need to collect?

Thanks
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
Stuff you'll want to consider is the shape, wood types for the body, neck, and fingerboard, pickups, what kind of bridge and hardware you want, what sort of finish to put on it.
You'll also (obviously) need half decent woodworking skills and access to proper tools, as well as knowledge on the subject of guitar building (I would assume that the store owner you talked about knows his way around buiilding guitars).
Quote by james4
Stuff you'll want to consider is the shape, wood types for the body, neck, and fingerboard, pickups, what kind of bridge and hardware you want, what sort of finish to put on it.
You'll also (obviously) need half decent woodworking skills and access to proper tools, as well as knowledge on the subject of guitar building (I would assume that the store owner you talked about knows his way around buiilding guitars).

Yeah, the store owner knows his stuff. If there is anything he can't do, I also have access to help from my school's woodshop teacher.
"That Hidde's a cool guy" -Abe Lincoln
"Hidde? Yeah we jam all the time" -Steve Vai
"Remember that time when burt jumped out of the tree and into the river? Good times!" -Jesus

So I heard you liek profiles?
WEll just sort out what pickups, bridge, scale, tuners, electrics (killswitch, how many pickups, coil taps,) and the design of the body then you should be away.
You need to consider.fretboard radius,scale length,nut width,how many frets...21,22,24, the shape of the neck and inlays. Thats on top of selecting the wood,electronics,tuners,nut material,finish,colors,control and jack placement,head stock shape(3 on a side or 6 in a row for the tuners).Will the pickups be mounted in a pickguard in rings or screwed straight to the body?the list of decisions that need to be made is long.Making a guitar from scratch is alot of work but also very rewarding.Good luck!
Bhaok

The following statement is true. The proceeding statement is false.