Ok, hey guys, and girls.

I'm taking apart a starcaster and basically completely redoing it. None of the electrics or hardware is from the starcaster anymore. (Except the neck and body)
SO... I want to do:

1.) A killswitch (in the form of a momentary)

2.) Another killswitch (this would be like a les paul switch. One that I could turn the guitar off and keep it off. BUT, could I do that with a Fender pickup selecter in an way? I would prefere that. It would be a different selecter than the main one.)

3.) An on-off switch for just the neck pup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Oh, and P.S. the bolded question and number 2 are the most important part to me.
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Oct 5, 2007,
Start with this:

1.) A killswitch (in the form of a momentary)

Go to the ULTIMATE killswitch thread . Learn about adding a killswitch. Modify the above drawing to include it.

2.) Another killswitch (this would be like a les paul switch. One that I could turn the guitar off and keep it off. BUT, could I do that with a Fender pickup selecter in an way? I would prefere that. It would be a different selecter than the main one.)

Add a second killswitch in parallel with the first one. This one will be a toggle switch.

3.) An on-off switch for just the neck pup.

The drawing below shows a BRIDGE on switch. Look at how it works, then modify your drawing to do a NECK on switch, instead.

4.) After you've made your drawing, post it. We'll check to make sure you have everything right.

5.) NO. I will not make your drawing for you. If you want to do this sort of thing, you should be willing to take some initiative on your own. If you can get someone else to do that, that's between you and them.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Ok thanks a lot. I finished the diagram, but how do I host it? I did it in Microsoft Paint, but don't know hoe to host it.
get an photobucket or imageshack account.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
get an photobucket or imageshack account.

Alright, thanks. I tried Imagesocket already, but it wouldn't work. I'll try photobucket...
Ok, so I can't post pics, but I'll explain...

1.) The Momentary killswitch gets hooked up by 2 wires. One goes from the center plug of the volume Pot to one of the plugs on the switch. The second goes from the right plug which is folded up to the other plug on the switch

2.) Same with the other killswitch, except with a toggle.

3.) The switch to shut off the neck pup: You solder the white wire to the switch (upper right plug) just like the bridge switch diagram you posted. Then, you solder it to the 3rd plug on the left side of the pickup selector. You also run a wire from the bottom left plug of the switch to the far left plug of the volume pot.

Correct?

BTW, what gauge of wire should i use? I have about 60 feet of Hookup wire in gauge 18, that ok?
I really don't want to bump this, but I need to know. I'm starting tommarow. Please, anyone?
Yes, it worked, thanks!

OK bro, you're learning, but you still have a little more to learn.

If you right click on the image displayed at imageshack, you can copy image location to your paste buffer.

then when you click on the little icon that looks like a picture of a mountain, you'll get a pop-up that prompts you to put in the url of the image. Right click, and paste it there. Then you'll get a line that looks ALMOST like this one in the window you're using to create your post:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9924/finisheddiagramnp9.png[/IMG.]

I added periods after the IMG to suppress displaying it as an image.

Now, lets talk about the wiring:

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/9924/finisheddiagramnp9.png

The switch for the push-pull pot won't actually be there, and I'm sure you know to just wire the bridge pickup directly to the switch. You should change that part of the drawing to get rid of the clutter.

The killswitches are correct.

The neck-on switch won't work, if you have a switch that looks like that one.
If yours looks like that:

1 - You need to use terminals on the left OR on the right. Having one on the left and one on the right won't work

2 - From top to bottom, the middle terminal is call the pole.
If the lever is up, the pole is connected to the bottom terminal (throw)
If the lever is down the pole is connected to the upper terminal.

3 - ONE of the wires needs to be connected to a pole. It doesn't matter which.

4 - The other wire needs to be connected to one of it's throws. For instance, if you want to connect it to the bottom terminal, your neck pickup will always be on, no matter what position the 5-way is in, when the toggle is up. You'll be adding the neck to whatever else is selected by the 5-way.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Hey guys, right now I am painting the guitar/ stripping it because I figured why not. I still really need to know though. I think the pic In the link I did is all correct, but I don't want to wire it up and have it not work.

please?
Last edited by ML_Guitar09 at Oct 5, 2007,
The link in post 11 is still the finished one.

Please gents and genetts(??)

Can someone please tell me if the diagram is correct? I really need to know very soon.

Thanks!
yea it looks like it is. if you follow that diagram, it should give you fine results.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
yea it looks like it is. if you follow that diagram, it should give you fine results.

Thanks man, you've been a great help.

Weekend Warrior
^ur "quest for a gibson les paul" thing... what gibson can u get for $1,199.99? not a faded or a studio is it...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^ur "quest for a gibson les paul" thing... what gibson can u get for $1,199.99? not a faded or a studio is it...

Yea, it's a studio. I thought just the faded series was bad. The studio is too?...

If so..... I may be changing that to a scheter. Which I would have enough money for...

Weekend Warrior
eh. it depends with the guitar player. i don't like faded ones and studios. but thats just me. and les pauls without binding don't look too pretty to my eyes.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
eh. it depends with the guitar player. i don't like faded ones and studios. but thats just me. and les pauls without binding don't look too pretty to my eyes.

True true....

Well, I'll be trying out the studios vs normals at local guitar store sometime soon, so I'll most likely decide then.
Weekend Warrior