I dunno about you guys but I think this is a pretty fascinating topic. According to wikipedia (which actually draws from reliable sources for once:

"Dark matter is hypothetical matter of unknown composition that does not emit or reflect enough electromagnetic radiation to be observed directly, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter. According to present observations of structures larger than galaxy-sized as well as Big Bang cosmology, dark matter accounts for the vast majority of mass in the observable universe."

Apparentally, the visible universe accounts for only 4% (!) of what's out there:

"Only about 4% of the total energy density in the universe (as inferred from gravitational effects) can be seen directly. About 22% is thought to be composed of dark matter. The remaining 74% is thought to consist of dark energy, an even stranger component, distributed diffusely in space."

Another interesting factoid: "The dark matter component has vastly more mass than the "visible" component of the universe." Meaning that this "dark matter world" is any many ways more "real" than our own.

This obviously has HUGE implications. For one, a huge majority of our scientific assumptions could be totally off (since we're not basing our findings on all the available data).

So what do you think this "dark matter"/dark energy is? An alternate universe? The spirit world?

Personally, I'm strongly inclined to believe it's the spiritual realm (i.e. heaven, angels, etc...). Coming from a Christian perspective, this verse is very, very interesting in light of this subject:

John 20:19 - "On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together, with the doors locked for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!"

If Jesus resurrected, and came back to his "full glory" (returned to spiritual realm), than he'd also become more "solid"/real and would be able to... guess what, walk through walls! (since the visible universe's atoms are so full of basically empty space)

Although religious interpretations are welcome, PLEASE DO NOT drag this into another religion thread (i.e. discussing whether God exists or not, whether such and such faith is true etc...). We have enough of those.

So what are your theories? Discuss.
Has any of this dark matter been proven to exist?
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
No, it's all theoretical right now (of course so are lots of things like the Theory of Relativity), but we know SOMETHING's out there because something we can't see is having an affect on visible matter. (i.e. if only visible matter existed, then lots of things like gravity would not behave as they do)
We SUPPOSE something is out there...we always think we're right until we discover something new, or another factor is accounted for. So I'll just wait for the guys in the white lab coats to come up with an official statement.
and what would those effects be? (I'm not usually a skeptic, but this is something they are trying to pass off as the truth)
Quote by Arthur Curry
It's just The Man trying to bring down us negroes.

Quote by Yakult
Just go out in a silk dressing gown and ask them if they've ever been penetrated
Yay Jesus. Dark matter = teh holy pwn?
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Quote by wholovesthesun
and what would those effects be? (I'm not usually a skeptic, but this is something they are trying to pass off as the truth)

It has to do with the way the universe is expanding.. The critical mass that is needed for the rate at which it is expanding isn't right with only what we can account for with visible matter. So they made up dark matter to fill in the mass gap.. I'm sure it's much more complicated than that but I'm no theoretical physicist.
Nor less I deem that there are Powers
Which of themselves our minds impress;
That we can feed this mind of ours
In a wise passiveness.
--Wordsworth

last.fm
I feel like being an asshole, check my topics.

Dark matter's freaky, it has so much gravity it can bend light.
Yeah, read about this one a long time ago. Very interesting stuff. I really want to see people investigate and research further into this.
I would agree with the TS. Same reasons.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by glm
I want to be the first person to go into dark matter!

That sounds strangely arousing.
i think that theory is also a good theory. im muslim but i believe in angels and other spirit creatures called Jinn that are basically what explains a lot of ghost stories. But in our holy scripture, it talks about them living in their own world and sometimes they come to our world. They are usually invisible but can be visible whenever they want and can shapeshift to anything or anyone basically. so i find it easy to believe