I find that when I'm messing around trying out different licks, that ending the lick with A as the last note, makes it sound resolved and conclusive, much more so than if I ended it with any other note. Why is that? Does it depend on what key you're playing in? Lately I've been concentrating on learning the notes all over the fret board and am using the C major/A minor scales, finding different patterns that can bring me from point A to point B. pun intended
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
You're probably just playing in the key of A. If you played the same lick a few positions up, it would resolve the same way (though playing them one after the other sounds funny).
Well if you are playing in the key of A minor, then you will inevitably resolve to A.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Aah, so what ever key you're playing in, the best note for resolving the phrase will be the root note? Well, just thought I'd ask.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
Aah, so what ever key you're playing in, the best note for resolving the phrase will be the root note? Well, just thought I'd ask.

Exactly!
Quote by Baasoromyuu

I suppose if by best, you meant the note that would give it the most finality, I think the root would be that note. "Best" is subjective, though, and there are certainly more "interesting" notes that you could end on.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
tension + resoloution... every song you hear uses these great elements...
Last edited by Kennocha at Sep 27, 2007,
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Just to add on a tad to psy, sometimes, the "best" resolution is the one you don't want

The Hotel California solo has some cracking examples of that - also it's slow enough to be able to hear them clearly
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com