Is there a major quality difference? I read somewhere that quality could be lost through a USB connection, but I can't find it anymore.
i have a 'white guitar'
Not quality per se, but you do acquire much more latency with USB causing tracks to not monitor correctly after the track count starts to build up.

In other words - you will be playing but you won't hear what you are playing - you may end up hearing what you played a second ago - this is what we call latency and can be rather annoying when trying to layer parts. Firewire typically does not have much of a problem with latency making it much more versatile all around.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

i'm unsure of the differences between to two.. but nowadays they have zero latency usb interfaces that work pretty well. its what i'm using right now.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
i'm unsure of the differences between to two.. but nowadays they have zero latency usb interfaces that work pretty well. its what i'm using right now.

It's not actually zero latency, it's bypassing the A/D-D/A stage and using hardware monitoring which is a different animal altogether. But to answer the original question, there will be no difference in audio quality between the two transfer protocols (assuming all other things are equal). Audio quality is affected more by preamps and A/D converters. Once the signal is digital it won't suffer because of the transfer protocol. FireWire is faster and can handle larger amounts of data so it is more suitable if you're recording multiple tracks/instruments at once. If you're only going to be recording one or two instruments at a time then USB will work fine and will generally be less expensive.